50 Book Challenge in 2013. Who's with me?

(992 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 05-Jan-13 16:58:16

Tidying up after Christmas it has come to my attention that I have nearly 100(!!) paperbacks in stacks down the side of my bed waiting to be read. blushblush
I am going to challenge myself to try and read at least 50 of them this year. That's nearly one a week so I am going to have to really apply myself and stop faffing around and doing other things when I could be enjoying a good book.
I wondered if anyone else would like to join me? We can post what we are reading and then post when we have finished each book and what's next.
I know I would love to hear what others are reading and enjoying (or not enjoying) so I can go out and buy more books in a few months time!
My first book of the year is President Down by Terence Strong about spies and terrorists which my dad lent me about a year ago! I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far so good.

velcro Thu 17-Jan-13 10:42:44

minsmum I'll tell you what I think of the Morgue drawer book when I get to it though as I'm reading alphabetically by author it maybe some time

SuperScribbler I loved Guernsey Potato Pie & rather missed the characters when I finished it.

MegBusset Thu 17-Jan-13 13:29:56

Schnarkle Fahrenheit 451's on my list too, arrived from Amazon today with a few others (V for Vendetta, The Death Of Grass and The Knife Of Never Letting Go).

Dragontrainer Thu 17-Jan-13 13:56:48

Finished the Care of Wooden Floors, and couldn't have disliked it more! I found it one of those books which, sentence by sentence, is very well written but didn't work as a whole, particularly as I couldn't stand the characters.

I've also read the Lewis Man by Peter May, which I raced through: a good pageturner.

I'm about to continue the reading marathon by moving on to John Saturnall's Feast by Lawrence Norfolk.

elkiedee Thu 17-Jan-13 18:59:59

ShriekingNora, I hope you're grateful to your 9 year old - I think my mum read my copy when I was your dd's age, but I don't know if I had to beg her. I recommend the other two books in the trilogy too, though #2 is probably a bit old for your dd, and although #3 is published as a children's book, it just isn't - grown up Anna goes to visit her mother in Berlin after the war and it's really a very grown up book (nothing x rated, it just isn't really for kids).

Shellwedance Thu 17-Jan-13 19:50:59

Finished Alys, Always. Really good characterisation, interesting take on the Single White Female concept, I really liked it.

Now on to Number 5, The Twelve, which I'm really looking forward to.

NicknameTaken Fri 18-Jan-13 10:06:13

Finished The Emperor of All Maladies. Enjoyed the human story, but got a bit lost in the genetics part towards the end.

Read the first chapter or two of The Stepmothers' Support Group, but not sure I can be bothered to go on. Not badly written as such, just a bit pointless.

Dabbling with the first few chapters of Wilkie Collins' No-Name. Enjoying it so far, but not necessarily prepared to make the commitment to follow the story the whole way through.

Albertmajor Fri 18-Jan-13 16:55:28

I've also set myself a challenge, but only 2 per month - plus an extra on holiday, so 25 in total. I find reading on a Kindle much easier than carting paperbacks about though, and I must admit I'm going for the 'lighter' books to get me through January. This one is good for a 'switching the mind off' read - plus it's cheap on Amazon at the mo! www.amazon.co.uk/Rosy-Georges-Convention-Conundrum-ebook/dp/B008OZENS8/ref=la_B008QN1FNY_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358528014&sr=1-1

minsmum Fri 18-Jan-13 19:27:54

Well I finished my 5th book A Room With a View and I must confess that I didn'tenjoy it as much as the film. I found it hard going

PurpleStorm Fri 18-Jan-13 19:46:10

Finished book no. 2: Blake Charlton - Spellwright. It was so so. Got better towards the end, but I don't think I'm going to bother with the inevitable sequel.

Finished book 4, The Expats. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A kindle 20p bargain.

Got my new kindle today so starting book 5 on it. It's Alice Hoffman ' fortunes daughter'

ISpyPlumPie Fri 18-Jan-13 23:17:13

Finished book 2 and 3 : NW, and 1227 QI amazing facts (hope that one counts!).

Can't decide what to make of NW - enjoyed the streams of conciousness style and elements of the story, but not convinced it all hangs together that well. Might have been better for the ideas to have been explored separately as complete novels, though I understand the fragmentation and lack of neat endings are part of the overall effect.

Just started Andrew Marr's Modern History of Britain (can you tell I made the most of the Kindle sale?) Really fascinating so far, but it's long so think I'll have to interperse a few other books to have any chance of hitting 50.

MrsMaryCooper Sat 19-Jan-13 08:13:50

Finished No7 The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths. I enjoyed it good plotting, interesting characters.

Now on to No8 The House at Sea's End - Elly Griffiths again. It is the 3rd in her Ruth Galloway series and I'm enjoying it so far.

shrinkingnora Sat 19-Jan-13 10:53:27

Number 5 finished - went for The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. It is FANTASTIC. Really enjoyed it. Think some intensive Conan Doyle is in the near future!

Cherrypi Sat 19-Jan-13 10:56:13

Ooh I have the house at sea's end out the library. Currently reading Alys, always by Harriet Lane as someone else has reserved that one.

minsmum Sat 19-Jan-13 10:59:03

my number 6 book is Wolf Hall I may be some time.

Nickname, Moonshine and Velcro - I read all the Ben Aaranovitch books last year; really enjoyed them but possibly because I could imagine myself in many of the places he mentioned, being London born & bred.

I finished book 2 "Feasting, Fasting" on Thursday evening, and am working on finishing book 3 "The Long Earth" which is getting stranger and stranger by the minute!

Next up are;
4. Gathering Light - Jennifer Donnelley
5. A cat, a hat and a piece of string - Joanne Harris
6. Ash: Return of the beat - Gary Val Tentura (never heard of him, book bought for me)
7. I can make you hate - Charlie Brooker

SuperScribbler Sat 19-Jan-13 15:23:41

Well I really loved the quirkiness of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. My onlt criticism is that I wish it had been longer as I wanted to spend more time in the company of the characters.

I've made a start on book number 7, which is Netherwood by Jane Sanderson. It was recommended by a friend who knows I enjoy Downton Abbey, but so far, so Catherine Cookson. Not my thing, but I'll forge on for now.

SuperScribbler Sat 19-Jan-13 15:25:24

Doh, that should be book number 8, not 7.

acsec Sat 19-Jan-13 15:30:55

I'm in. One of my resolutions was to read more.

Currently reading How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran. Enjoying it, but don't find much time to read, so have to change that.

mydadsdaughter Sat 19-Jan-13 22:20:07

just finished casual vacancy by J K Rowling which I absolutely loved, I'm also including David Williams 'the boy in a dress' as have been reading it to my ds 1 and we both really enjoyed this book. I have just started reading the Cammila book by Sues Townsend which doesn't look to promising at the moment and me and my ds 1 have just started reading the first of 'Series of unfortunate events' which does look like it's going to be good! so that's 3 down 47 to go !

Galaxymum Sun 20-Jan-13 05:35:30

I finished no. 3 today Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Amazing novel. I koved the characters and whole concept was very well written. A bit too close to experiences of my own in 2012 but was a wow book.

No. 4 is a book club book The Paris Wife.

youcantwearthatmum Sun 20-Jan-13 06:50:16

Stuck on number one bookclub choice Ben Goldacre 'Bad Science' for two reasons. It's non-fiction and I like a narrative to keep me going. Should be interesting - challenges homeopathy, the beauty industry and nutritionists. But find myself skipping bits. Also have spending far too much time on reading blogs and mindless Internet surfing

mcsquigg Sun 20-Jan-13 09:25:43

I'm still on number 2 - really enjoying les miserables and don't want to rush it but it's lengthy and I'm getting slightly impatient to start on the rest of my pile. I have "on chesil beach" waiting for me and it looks really good. It will be a while though, only a third of the way through les miserables...

minsmum Sun 20-Jan-13 12:26:40

Really enjoying Wolf hall and the snow means I'm getting time to read which is nice. Its the first paperback I've read since I got my kindle and it does feel very odd

NicknameTaken Sun 20-Jan-13 15:34:48

youcant, I liked the Bad Science book - I found it worth sticking with.

Just finished Emily Barr's latest, Stranded. I'm a fan of hers, and as usual I raced through it very rapidly, but it wasn't up to her best. The plot was frankly ludicrous - I don't mind suspending belief, but this plot just didn't make any sense at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now