One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - struggling....

(31 Posts)
BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sat 29-Dec-12 21:43:58

Hi,

Started to read this last week, have never seen the film and have no knowledge of the book as such.

I am struggling to stick with it, but as it is a classic and many people have raged about it to me, I need to carry on - don't I?

Is it worth sticking with or is this one of those books that you either love or hate?

Tortington Sun 30-Dec-12 17:15:39

i have to say that i am comforted by the fact that others got nothing from catchers, i keep thinking 'there is a sub text here that i am too stupid to get'

but its good to know its just shit

SnowyGrey Sun 30-Dec-12 19:34:36

Gatsy is NOT boring!! shock

Once you have studied it at a higher level, the amount of clever imagery, suggestion and manipulation is truly fascinating. Yes, on the surface it is just a bunch of jazz happy idiots with more money than sense but my goodness there is so much more to it than that....

I have studied it at a higher level - still don't like it much though.

I love the fact that books can cause such intense emotions either way. smile

wongadotmom Sun 30-Dec-12 21:00:48

Read the book first, stick with it, it's my favourite book of all time, it really is worth it.
I read it for the first time when I was just a kid and really struggled, as it wasn't until after I'd finished the book and spoke to my dad about it (who, tbh, I was trying to impress by reading it in the first place) and he told me that the Chief was crazy, (I somehow missed that point, despite him being in a lunatic asylum) that I began to understand his long ramblings.
Then watch the film. I love the film, too, (JN my favourite actor) but there are changes from the story in the book.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 30-Dec-12 21:26:02

Hi everyone, sorry for running from the thread, had a busy day.

Great to hear other people's opinions on books that I have tried and failed to read - Anna Karenina being another!

I have a list now of books that I will read with a more open mind (rather than reading it and expecting wonders as it is a classic) thanks to this thread.

Tufty, thank you for the offer - very kind of you, I have this evening found out that my very own Mum has a copy and she has offered it to me, she said it was 'ok but overrated'

If it is easy to read though, I have to have a go don't I!

Grapes of Wrath is one of Mum's all time favourite films, not sure if she has read the book. I'm not good with depressing books as such, if I am feeling down then I get too involved and it becomes a chore to read. If I am in an ok mood then I can cope weirdo

So, stick with Cuckoo's Nest and then read Catcher just to see what it's all about (or not as the case may be) and then Steinbeck. If I rate Cuckoo's Nest I will give the Cool Aid Acid Test a read too. However, Gatsby is possibly not on my to-read list wink

All before April when Baby Boy makes an appearance and any spare time I get will be spent sleeping instead of reading grin

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Mon 07-Jan-13 19:15:28

Just wanted to update.

I stuck with it and actually thought it was a good story and although I can't say I liked it as such, in that it is a difficult book to say you enjoyed (due to the subject matter) I am pleased that I didn't give up on it.

I loved the character of McMurphy and his affect on the Combine etc, I think I need to read a bit around the story line for any points I missed. Or just watch the film as suggested earlier in the thread grin

I may have shed a little tear at the end.

Have just started Catcher, so far I agree - very easy read (especially in comparison to Cuckoo's Nest).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now