Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel

(31 Posts)
rubberglove Fri 28-Dec-12 19:21:48

I'm not warming to it so far. Should I stick with it?

No spoilers please!

howdoo Sun 30-Dec-12 00:24:46

DreamingBohemian I think the trick with the "he"s is to always assume it's Cromwell, opposing all I ever learnt at school about "he" referring to the most previous personal noun (aka pedant meets intelligent book and fails..)

Sunnywithshowers Sun 30-Dec-12 01:06:49

I loved it, but I found it better on my 2nd attempt when I was reading a chapter or so at a time.

Ah thanks howdoo... maybe I will give it another go then smile

5Foot5 Wed 02-Jan-13 13:30:31

I too am about a third of the way through. I requested it from DH for Christmas and he only went and bought me the hard back editions of this an "Bringing Up The Bodies" as a boxed set so I have to persevere grin

Actually I am quite enjoying it and like the Cromwell character so I will definitely finish it but I do agree about the "he" thing and wonder why she did it like this. I frequently find I am having to re-read a bit because I had got mixed up in my head about who said what.

Starlet71 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:22:48

Relieved to hear I'm not the only one struggling with who's who - was starting to wonder if I am actually a bit thick. I think Mantell does assume the reader has at least some familiarity with the period - I did a quick search on Wikipedia, which helped (we did the industrial revolution at school). I am determined to persevere though..will try the 'assume it's Cromwell' rule and see how I get on.

minxthemanx Wed 16-Jan-13 20:31:48

I'm really enjoying Wolf Hall and going to bed earlier and earlier each night to read. Have to agree it's a challenging tome, and thank God for the character lists at the front so we can keep flicking back to work out who everyone is. But the story itself is great, and I don't agree with the poster who said it's badly written - I haven't felt that at all, as it's a tricky subject and Hilary Mantel has kept my attention throughout. I'm usually quite critical of modern writers, but think this is very accomplished. Near the end now, and can't wait to see what happens when Anne Boleyn has baby number 2, and what becomes of Cromwell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now