Ali smith - there but for the

(6 Posts)
madlane Mon 13-May-13 23:05:11

I found it crazy that this man lodged in the bedroom after a disastrous dinner party & survives for months on paper thin ham being wedged under door & hampers from wannabe Festival goers who don't want miss out on any action! Then he leaves one day! End. I think we are meant yo think about our relationships, meaning of life & usefulness. The insight of the daughter is endearing but other characters are not.

happyhopefulmummy Mon 07-Jan-13 11:38:34

Paris, that's exactly how I felt. Like there was something I'd missed. I'm not sure what the point of the story was. A man was in a room. Other people knew him. Then he left the room.

Parisbanana Sun 06-Jan-13 21:48:21

I really didn't get the point. So much potential, sounded such a great idea for a story, but rather underwhelming really. It was rather disjointed and I was left feeling a strangely perplexed by it, as if I'd missed reading some important parts that brought the whole thing together.

happyhopefulmummy Sat 05-Jan-13 10:22:15

I wasn't keen really. It started off full of promise, but by the end the play on words and puns were irritating me. I was just curious as to what others thought...

forgetmenots Fri 28-Dec-12 14:08:59

It's on my kindle waiting to be read! Have read other books of Ali Smith's and enjoyed them, though...

happyhopefulmummy Thu 27-Dec-12 19:26:12

Has anyone read this? I've just finished it, thought it was quite a strange book. Am trying to figure out the point of it! Would love to hear others' thoughts...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now