Really gripping books?

(17 Posts)
BlackAffronted Wed 26-Dec-12 09:00:01

Looking for some really gripping books to see me through the christmas holidays. Have just read Room by Emma Donoghie and Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson, and enjoyed them both. Also loved the Hunger Games (but not so much the sequels).

Any recommendations?

ninjanurse Wed 26-Dec-12 09:51:33

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes (thriller)
My Dear, I wanted to tell you by Louisa Young (WW1 historical)
The Darkest Room by Johan Theorin (scandi crime/thriller)
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (romance/coming of age - only 99p on kindle at the mo)

DuchessofMalfi Wed 26-Dec-12 09:57:15

How about Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc)? I've read the first two, and will be reading the final part soon.

I've also read The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller recently and thought that was a gripping page turner. Really enjoyed it. My Dear I Wanted To Tell You by Louisa Young - excellent novel set around WW1.

On my tbr list I've got some Kate Morton novels, The Lewis Man (Lewis Trilogy) by Peter May, The Villa Triste by Lucretia Grindle, Winter in Madrid and Dominion by C J Sansom, Rivers of London by Bed Aaronovitch, Perfect People by Peter James, Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes, and many many more grin

A couple of other really good gripping page turners I've read recently were Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (you need to press on through Part 1 and it gets really good after that), and The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. Really recommend those two.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 26-Dec-12 09:58:06

x post with ninjanurse grin Must type faster!

BlackAffronted Wed 26-Dec-12 13:01:00

Thanks! Off to amazon now to stock up my Kindle!

valiumredhead Fri 28-Dec-12 14:57:23

The Guilty One
ITDC
Tideline
Rebecca
The Poisonwood Bible

BOFingSanta Fri 28-Dec-12 15:07:13

These are all brilliant. I've read all of them, except The Language Of Flowers, so I know I'll probably enjoy that. Thanks thanks

myflabberisgasted Fri 28-Dec-12 19:14:26

OP I have loved all the books in your first post!

I can also recommend "the wicked girls" that was gripping.
Sophie Hannah books are good to, I am currently reading the other half lives.

HettyD Fri 28-Dec-12 19:20:15

Def Sophie Hannah and 100% recommend Erin Kelly

Cooroo Fri 28-Dec-12 20:38:56

Gripping - Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Game of Thrones.

twentythirteen Sat 29-Dec-12 13:55:09

I'm in the absolute grips of the Hunger Games trilogy. Just trying to do a few things before going back and starting the third book (i receieved them as a gift Christmas morning - 4 days ago!)

XBenedict Sat 29-Dec-12 14:00:05

Now You See Me - SJ Bolton
Restless - William Boyd (it was on tv last night but it's a cracking read)

storynanny Sat 29-Dec-12 14:04:36

I'm enjoying books by liane moriaty

jessjessjess Sat 29-Dec-12 14:06:26

I have been enjoying the Delerium series by Lauren Oliver - meant to be young-adult fiction but I honestly think they're just fiction where the characters happen to be teens iyswim.

bangersmashandbeans Sat 29-Dec-12 14:43:07

Into book 2 of the Lewis Trilogy and it's fantastic. Quite different to most things I read but immediately gripping and scene setting is really great.

BOFingSanta Sat 29-Dec-12 15:05:10

I'm about to start Language Of Flowers thanks to this thread. Yesterday I read one being discusses in The Times book club, because they printed the first chapter and it got me hooked. It's called White Devil, and is a spooky ghost story set in Harrow boarding school. There's a literary mystery which centres on Lord Byron involved too- all in all, what's not to like?

XBenedict Sat 29-Dec-12 16:31:44

the Language of Flowers is 99p kindle edition on amazon at the mo. About to download it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now