If you had to write a three-sentence synopsis for any book you've read recently...

(19 Posts)
WidowWadman Sat 05-Jan-13 20:51:32

"Cox" by Kate Lace.

The broody and the pretty guy were awesome rowers with glorious penises.
Lots of random unrealistic shagging with the pretty physiotherapist cox.
They win the Olympics

Vagaceratops Sat 05-Jan-13 20:36:58

When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Penman

Stephen more likeable than I thought he would be. Maude is a bit of an ice Queen (understandably). Lots of fighting and use of the word Certes.

Salteena Sat 05-Jan-13 18:37:23

The Great Charles Dickens Scandal by Michael Slater.

World-famous Victorian novelist, champion of happy family life, leaves wife for pretty, much younger actress. Resultant scandal is hushed up for many years as his fans try to protect their idol's image. Some details emerge but frustratingly the full story is probably lost forever.

Actually it was a great read! (but then, I'm a Dickens fanatic grin)

theykillhorses Fri 04-Jan-13 22:54:45

Death game plot created from a mix of The Running Man and Battle Royale. Girl can't choose between two boys who both adore her. Not as much hunger as expected.

WipsGlitter Fri 04-Jan-13 22:52:04

Mutton - India Knight

Author projects insecurities about ageing and being fat on fictional character. Justifies botox. Implausible teen pregnancy sub-plot.

Jacksmania Fri 04-Jan-13 22:45:57

^ snicker

lljkk Fri 04-Jan-13 20:09:21

Third Reich, Roberto Bolaño.

German 20-somethings play at war-games and life on Spanish beach. Learn not to be such cocky bastards. Lots of metaphors about the legacy of WWII, The End.

BasketzatDawn Fri 04-Jan-13 20:07:14

A but it's the fourth of a 'quartet' - I think the fifth is coming out later this month (I know, i know). The shetland Quartet, it's called. I've forgotten other titles. Amazon is your friend even if you don't buy from them.

Jacksmania Fri 04-Jan-13 19:32:19

Oh, I'll have to make a note of that. I'm sadly out of good stories to read right now.

I always wonder when the title of a book has absolutely nothing to do with the contents!!! It's like the author was stuck for a title, and said "I'll use the next two random words I see!"

BasketzatDawn Fri 04-Jan-13 19:22:22

Ann Cleaves - Blue Lightning

Good crime story, in great setting, but sad ending. Shame about typos and poor editing. No (or almost no?) mention of lightning, blue or otherwise!

Jacksmania Fri 04-Jan-13 17:26:07

I believe my OP, and subsequent posts, are in fact synopses, rather than reviews. Three sentence summaries (hopefully humorous) of what a given book is about.

grin @ synopsis of 50 shades grin

elkiedee Sun 30-Dec-12 22:40:13

Synopsis or review? A synopsis is what the book is about, although I don't think it has to give away all (or some) of the plot details - perhaps the situation at the start of a novel, themes if there are some perhaps. A review is your opinion.

I used to write lots of real mini reviews and started trying to think up one for [Bel Canto] but can't do it in 3 sentences. The effort below is cheating a bit because I've used some rather long sentences....

Dominion by C J Sansom

It is 1952 and Britain is one of the many European countries under Nazi rule, since the war with Germany ended in 1940. A rather disparate group of people who dislike and/or fear the regime are thrown together trying to escape from Britain to the US. I found this readable, sad and sometimes scary, and was quite intrigued by the various pieces the author included at the back of the book, including an explanation of his alternate history ideas, some recommended further reading, a rant against the SNP and other things besides.

50 shades:

Two dimensional characters and implausible plot. Poor writing style and bad grammar dragged it down further. Gave up after Chapter 6, just couldn't be bothered.

ThinkAboutItOnBoxingDay Fri 28-Dec-12 20:54:40

The slap:

Man slaps kid at bbq. Some people think this is very wrong. Some people think it was kind of understandable and the incident was blown out of proportion.

Cooroo Fri 28-Dec-12 20:50:30

Brideshead Revisited:
Student adores posh family. Posh son becomes alco. Student leaves wife for posh sister.

Damn I forgot about Catholicism.

Jacksmania Mon 24-Dec-12 19:46:00

^ 11.23.63
Man tries to mess with history. History messes back. It's not good.

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Mon 24-Dec-12 19:34:35

High hopes. Good first half but dragged on far too much after that. Lost direction at the end.

StNickHasHisXmasTeakozyOn Mon 24-Dec-12 19:13:16

Wrath Of Angels by John Connolly.

Two men find a crashed plane in the forest and take the money they find, only telling their families when at the end of their lives. Told of the list of names they left in the plane, Charlie Parker aims to get there ahead of The Believers and The Collector. Brightwell is reborn but is bested by the ghost of a girl.

Jacksmania Mon 24-Dec-12 17:35:44

I'll start:

Tried to slog my way though "A Game of Thrones" (first book in A Song of Ice and Fire series) and am close to giving up.

Synopsis: "Thousands of chacters. Most of them die. Oh, and winter is coming."

Please add yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now