How many books have you read in 2012?

(85 Posts)
CandyLoo Sun 23-Dec-12 15:32:50

I posted a thread some weeks ago asking when and how you find the time to read. Thanks for your replies. I'm been reading more since then but am wondering just how many books you've read in the last year?
I've read 12.

atthewelles Sat 05-Jan-13 10:16:41

I would say a couple of hundred - but I was off work for three months recovering from an operation and couldn't drive for several weeks so I was kind of a captive audience for a while.
One thing I re-discovered this year was how much I still loved some of my old childhood favourites and I have ordered several Noel Streatfeilds. Drina books and Wells books from Amazon. smile

missbennett Sat 05-Jan-13 00:14:00

I read 120 books in 2012! My target was 10 a month, so it averaged out to that as some months I read more than others. I haven't set a new target but, due to budgetary restraints, I cannot but any more books sad. I have got lots on the shelves to read, the library has just been refurbished and I have downloaded 4 free ones to my Kobo. (Though I have got a £10 Waterstones voucher I'm saving for a treat!)

Pam100127 Thu 03-Jan-13 23:00:56

I suppose about 40-50 or so. Since I got my Samsung Galaxy tablet, I download lots of free books from Amazon, plus I download from the local library. I love the e-reader as I can read in the dark and not disturb DH. Some of the free books are pretty 'poor' others really good. I read one paper Fifty Shades book and then downloaded the second two (mainly in an effort to stop my 12 year old daughter sneaking a peak). When a book is free I don't feel so bad asking myself if I'm enjoying it and I will try and continue unless it's dire in which case I move onto another. Sometimes I read two books in a week other times it's a book every couple of weeks. I love escaping into a book....

RyleDup Thu 03-Jan-13 22:39:04

Between feb and dec last year I read 122 books according to kindle. This year, I discovered mn, so not as many. Probably about 60, although I'd have to check for sure on kindle.

debbsh Thu 03-Jan-13 22:32:35

I read a book every 2 days or so, work full-time and have my toddler grandaughter 3 days a week and a foster child full-time too. I NEVER go anywhere without a book (except the loo!)- if we stop at a petrol station i will read a couple of pages while my husband fills up. My favourite time for reading is while I'm in the bath - I try to have an hour each morning if I can!

happystory Thu 03-Jan-13 13:47:15

30, which is about average for me. I have found the key is not to delay starting a book (by reading magazines instead for e.g) and once you're into the first chapter, you're off! Would like to aim for 50 this year.

NicknameTaken Wed 02-Jan-13 18:06:17

(Checked my log and it was 138, divided almost exactly between fiction and non-fiction. I clearly have no life, but I don't care, I like books better anyway).

Galaxymum Wed 02-Jan-13 14:06:25

28 on my kindle and then 10/12 more in paperback. I think about 38/40. I was quite impressed ss 2012 was a very stressful year. If I count reading Holly Webb books and railway rabbits etc I get go add about anothr 60 books. I do feel they count as reading about puppies and kittens lost in the snow and storms is very traumatic!

NicknameTaken Wed 02-Jan-13 12:25:36

Need to check my book log (kept on paper, very old school). I average 2-3 books a week, so between 120 and 140. Some big books in there too.

I love my library. I must borrow £1000+ worth of books from it every year.

<breaks off to fondle library card in inappropriate manner>

Wilding Wed 02-Jan-13 10:53:59

I haven't been counting, but probably 400+ last year- I'm a really fast reader and get through about 7 books a week- a lot of those will be re-reads though. I don't have children though, or a tv, so I think I probably have a lot more time for reading than most smile

LulaPalooza Wed 02-Jan-13 10:47:51

I have no idea but am going to start counting from now on! Looking at my Amazon purchases I bought 23 books in 2012. I've also re-read lots - all my John Wyndham, most of my Michael Connelly's (my guilty pleasure, crime novels), 2 out of 3 of my Bryce Courtenay books which are pretty long (must remember to get Power of One back from my friend...) plus the His Dark Materials trilogy and some crappy books that were destined for the charity shop. So, maybe 60?

I got a Samsung Tab 2 for Christmas and have already downloaded 16 books and read 2.5 of them. I could probably get through a book a day if I didn't work.

PassportHell Wed 02-Jan-13 10:32:34

61, majority being non fiction.

remus I am currently reading The Criminal Conversation of Mrs Norton, look it up, could be a good read for you.

mumslife Mon 31-Dec-12 17:24:29

i think about thirty four but I work part time and my children are older 10 and sixteen I read a lot on holiday and quite a few over xmas. I ususally read most evenings in bed and on the way to work but not on the way home because I fall asleep!

There was a thread on here a few years ago about this and I started keeping a record of what I've read. It's normally pretty consistent at about 50 books a year but this year is down at 39.
I've had a lot of fails, in that I've given up after a couple of chapters. Also spent too much time on here.

CandyLoo Sun 30-Dec-12 14:53:32

Looks like we're having our own conversation on two different threads!
Will post those links later.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 30-Dec-12 14:50:43

One book off the shelf
One book club book
One guilty pleasure..... In my case Christie, Cookson or Conan Doyle
And have just added the MN book of the month

I may not have time for the guilty pleasure book but I will try.

CandyLoo Sun 30-Dec-12 14:37:25

What's your plan mixedmama ?

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 30-Dec-12 14:07:08

Absolutely no where near how many I would like, but I have a plan for 2013 which should get me at least 24 new reads and 12 guiltyleasure reads.

I am about 120 (not kept count) BUT I have a kindle and anything free goes on it and i'll give it ago.. Only about 25 of what i've read have been "decent" books!!

HullyEastergully Fri 28-Dec-12 17:04:17

8 million

43 Poirot books, 3 fifty shades books, about 5-10 other crime/thriller books and three weight loss books! I read quite fast though... And have to limit myself else I read until all hours of the morning!

notcitrus Fri 28-Dec-12 16:57:32

About 12, but was too ill to read until gave birth, then had newborn and preschoolers... I've now got smartphone with Kindle app so have read shedloads of the internet and a couple books too heavy to hold - finally read David Copperfield! Which was sentimental trash but at least I can now argue from having read it!

Quite looking forward to returning to work next month just to have 40 min a day to read on the train...

gailforce1 Fri 28-Dec-12 16:29:42

19 books and 11 audio books this year. Last year was 31 books and 26 audios. Really enjoy listerning to books on CD in the car particularly non fiction read by the authors.
I use my local library and spend a fair bit on reserving items from across the county. They often buy books that I want but have not yet got copies of, love being the first to get my paws on something they have just in!
Now looking for a thread to see what everyone has on their "to read" list for 2013...

FrostyGreenandwhitePenguin Fri 28-Dec-12 15:24:37

61 this year but I am ill a lot of the time and have to rest so I am either on my computer or reading. I like to have at least 2 books on the go, crime fiction and maybe a classic or a non-fiction. Just started on Made In America by Bill Bryson.

valiumredhead Fri 28-Dec-12 14:56:06

Between 1-3 a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now