How many books have you read in 2012?

(85 Posts)
CandyLoo Sun 23-Dec-12 15:32:50

I posted a thread some weeks ago asking when and how you find the time to read. Thanks for your replies. I'm been reading more since then but am wondering just how many books you've read in the last year?
I've read 12.

I work full time and have two teenage dds. I rarely watch TV and spend an hour in the bath every evening, as well as reading in bed. I also read very, very quickly.

But tbh I read just as much when the girls were young and I was working full time too (went back FT when they were each about ten weeks). I just read quickly I guess.

And dp does the housework. smile

BabeRuthless Wed 26-Dec-12 18:33:00

Cote - Like the others I just read whenever I can. I always have a book by my side so if ds is having a quiet ten minutes watching tv I snatch ten minutes reading. It all adds up. He's also at school full time so on my days off I grab some time then & also when he's having one of his epic hour long baths. If I don't read for more than a couple of days I feel weird. I can't explain it but it feels like I have to put information into my head or it starts feeling empty. Sounds odd I know. I don't keep a list in a "ooh look at me" kind of way but because I read a few detective series like Rebus so I need to keep track. Plus I'm a geek.

CoteDAzur Wed 26-Dec-12 20:08:10

I read whenever I can, too, and have my Kindle with me at all times. And yet I am on my 37th book of the year. That is why I asked.

Many of the books I read are between 500 and 1,000 pages long and I don't read chick-lit, which might be why it takes me slightly longer than a week to finish a book on average.

LittleBairn Wed 26-Dec-12 20:13:02

Used to read around 200 a year, must have had too much time on my hands I would guess I've only managed 25 this year. That said being that I am limited in my time I take more care in what I read so read more enjoyable books than I used to rather than just picking up what's available in the 3 for 2 in Waterstons or struggling through a bad book.

LittleBairn Wed 26-Dec-12 20:14:22

Oh I also read much longer books than I used to most over 500 pages.

No chick lit here! Lots of dense history books and I do like a good tome - sadly they just don't make em like they used to.

hackmum Wed 26-Dec-12 21:21:34

DuchessofMalfi - sorry for the slow reply. It's by Simon Sebag Montefiore. I'm finding the early bits hard going - Jerusalem's early history seems to have consisted of being ruled by a variety of kings and their various progeny, and fought over by an enormous number of different ethnic and religious groups. There's an awful lot of "X slaughtered 10,000 people before being murdered by his own son, who ruled for 20 years, until Y came and killed him and then fought with Z, who slaughtered another 50,000 people" and so on. I'm hoping it gets easier as it goes along...

GoldMyrrhAndNonsense Thu 27-Dec-12 04:52:59

I have a few on the go at the moment. When I've finished these, it will be about 32 this year (not including all the books I've read to the children, I should imagine that's another 50+). It's been a slow year for me, mainly because I didn't read very much over the summer. Like some other posters here, I normally read a book a week.

BabeRuthless Thu 27-Dec-12 11:17:30

Cote - Thats probably it. I read a Jennifer Weiner book in a day the other week. I also count graphic novels (walking dead etc). I read a few 1000 page tomes a year and they tend to take me a week. When I think about how much of my student years I wasted twatting about getting drunk I could weep!

Thumbwitch Thu 27-Dec-12 11:22:55

Too many to count. A fair few were re-reads though - mostly Terry Pratchetts or Georgette Heyers; but a lot of new ones as well.
I mostly read at night - while I was pg I was having troubles sleeping and would read myself to sleep, often more than once each night. Now I'm breastfeeding, I read while doing that in bed. Not too many of the bigger thicker books though - I find they're harder to read while lying down risk of bashing me in the face is higher when I doze off!

valiumredhead Fri 28-Dec-12 14:56:06

Between 1-3 a week.

FrostyGreenandwhitePenguin Fri 28-Dec-12 15:24:37

61 this year but I am ill a lot of the time and have to rest so I am either on my computer or reading. I like to have at least 2 books on the go, crime fiction and maybe a classic or a non-fiction. Just started on Made In America by Bill Bryson.

gailforce1 Fri 28-Dec-12 16:29:42

19 books and 11 audio books this year. Last year was 31 books and 26 audios. Really enjoy listerning to books on CD in the car particularly non fiction read by the authors.
I use my local library and spend a fair bit on reserving items from across the county. They often buy books that I want but have not yet got copies of, love being the first to get my paws on something they have just in!
Now looking for a thread to see what everyone has on their "to read" list for 2013...

notcitrus Fri 28-Dec-12 16:57:32

About 12, but was too ill to read until gave birth, then had newborn and preschoolers... I've now got smartphone with Kindle app so have read shedloads of the internet and a couple books too heavy to hold - finally read David Copperfield! Which was sentimental trash but at least I can now argue from having read it!

Quite looking forward to returning to work next month just to have 40 min a day to read on the train...

43 Poirot books, 3 fifty shades books, about 5-10 other crime/thriller books and three weight loss books! I read quite fast though... And have to limit myself else I read until all hours of the morning!

HullyEastergully Fri 28-Dec-12 17:04:17

8 million

I am about 120 (not kept count) BUT I have a kindle and anything free goes on it and i'll give it ago.. Only about 25 of what i've read have been "decent" books!!

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 30-Dec-12 14:07:08

Absolutely no where near how many I would like, but I have a plan for 2013 which should get me at least 24 new reads and 12 guiltyleasure reads.

CandyLoo Sun 30-Dec-12 14:37:25

What's your plan mixedmama ?

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 30-Dec-12 14:50:43

One book off the shelf
One book club book
One guilty pleasure..... In my case Christie, Cookson or Conan Doyle
And have just added the MN book of the month

I may not have time for the guilty pleasure book but I will try.

CandyLoo Sun 30-Dec-12 14:53:32

Looks like we're having our own conversation on two different threads!
Will post those links later.

There was a thread on here a few years ago about this and I started keeping a record of what I've read. It's normally pretty consistent at about 50 books a year but this year is down at 39.
I've had a lot of fails, in that I've given up after a couple of chapters. Also spent too much time on here.

mumslife Mon 31-Dec-12 17:24:29

i think about thirty four but I work part time and my children are older 10 and sixteen I read a lot on holiday and quite a few over xmas. I ususally read most evenings in bed and on the way to work but not on the way home because I fall asleep!

PassportHell Wed 02-Jan-13 10:32:34

61, majority being non fiction.

remus I am currently reading The Criminal Conversation of Mrs Norton, look it up, could be a good read for you.

LulaPalooza Wed 02-Jan-13 10:47:51

I have no idea but am going to start counting from now on! Looking at my Amazon purchases I bought 23 books in 2012. I've also re-read lots - all my John Wyndham, most of my Michael Connelly's (my guilty pleasure, crime novels), 2 out of 3 of my Bryce Courtenay books which are pretty long (must remember to get Power of One back from my friend...) plus the His Dark Materials trilogy and some crappy books that were destined for the charity shop. So, maybe 60?

I got a Samsung Tab 2 for Christmas and have already downloaded 16 books and read 2.5 of them. I could probably get through a book a day if I didn't work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now