what books are on your 2013 book list?

(20 Posts)
Galaxymum Fri 04-Jan-13 17:03:22

Just rereading Pride and Prejudice and planning to get to grips with the Austens I failed with as a teen.
Les Mis
Deborah Swift's The Gilded Lily
The twelve
Finish Jo Nesbo's series
Rebus books

isleangel Thu 03-Jan-13 15:05:46

I have to read:
the complete collection of Charles Dickens books that I got for my birthday smile will start with A tale of two cities
the numbers trilogy
the twelve by Justin Cronin (reading at the moment!)
The prisoner of heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (loved the other 2)
the Road by Cormac Mccarthy
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Gone, Hunger and lies by Michael Grant
and all the power of five books by Anthony Horowitz
I can't wait grin

Cherrypi Thu 03-Jan-13 13:44:02

The new Kate Atkinson - Life after life sounds intriguing. I may be tempted by the new Bridget Jones too.

littlemissnormal Wed 02-Jan-13 22:22:53

Thanks mixed, I got it! grin

NicknameTaken Wed 02-Jan-13 12:19:03

Correction - should be Contested Will, not Disputed Will.

<slinks off in shame>

NicknameTaken Wed 02-Jan-13 12:18:18

What's beside my bed:

The emperor of all maladies, Siddhartha Mukherjee, (about cancer - not very cheery but I seem to remember it got great reviews)

Gillespie and I, Harris, Jane (liked her earlier book, The Observations)

Ruso and the river of darkness, Ruth Downie (Roman in Britain solving crime; liked the earlier books in the series)

What's on my reserved list at the library:

Night waking, Sarah Moss (recommended on mn!)

The lodger, Charles Nicholl (about Shakespeare. I also plan to reread Becoming Shakespeare and Disputed Will, both about Shakespeare's posthumous reputation. Sounds heavy but they're actually very gossipy and enjoyable reads)

Patrick Leigh Fermor, Artemis Cooper (good reviews. I liked his travel books, and I already enjoyed the letters between him and Deborah Devonshire, In Tearing Haste)

Chavs: the demonization of the working class, Owen Jones

The Old Ways, Robert Macfarlane.

All of the above from the library. I can't begrudge paying my council tax on the basis that get such massive value from my local library.

I'm also eyeing up Orwell's Cough and (whisper it) Mutton by India Knight.

Kelly281 Mon 31-Dec-12 20:47:44

I've been recommended the Roy Grace books, so intend to read those. and Stuart MacBrides detective series set in my hometown of Aberdeen.

I fancy reading The Unlikely Pilgramige of Harold Fry too.

I'll likely read copious amounts of Debbie Macomber too, she's my guilty pleasure. Just cannot get enough of her books! blush

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 30-Dec-12 20:57:12

littlemissnormal - if you have a kindle Life of Pi was 20p today. I havent read it and really want to. I think I am going to watch Hugh Jackman sorry Les Mis before I read it, mostly because I am not going to have time to read anything too big before June really.

CoteDAzur Sun 30-Dec-12 20:54:45

I'm now reading Mandarin Gate by Eliot Pattison. It is the latest in his Detective Shan series that take place in contemporary Tibet under Chinese occupation.

Next in line:

The Garden Of Evening Mists - Tan Twan Eng
Moby Dick
The Prague Cemetery - Umberto Eco
Sweet Tooh - Ian McEwan
Some Remarks - Neal Stephenson
Existence - David Brin
The Hidden Man - Charles Cumming (waiting for Kindle edition out in March 2013)

... and since a few minutes ago:

Doctor Sleep - Stephen King (out in Sept 2013) smile

CoteDAzur Sun 30-Dec-12 20:46:00

There is a sequel to The Shining? shock <<rushes to Amazon>>

littlemissnormal Sun 30-Dec-12 19:43:50

The Rebus books are brilliant, as are the Roy Grace.
I've got Les Mis on my Kindle but want to see the film and not sure whether reading it before or after is the best approach!

On my list for 2013 are The life of Pi, any more Simon Serailler books by Susan Hill and Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 30-Dec-12 14:25:34

Baberuthless I am reading Great Expectations at the moment. It is ok.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 30-Dec-12 14:24:56

I have over fifty to be read and a new kindle. I like the just peruse the bookshelf and see what takes my fancy.

Wolfcub Fri 21-Dec-12 22:21:16

Kitchen diaries part two is at the top of my list. I'm also hoping to read the last in Robert jOrdans wheel if time series and revisit some classics, Dickens being top of that particular list.

envy to anybody reading 'Lord Of The Flies' for the first time - great book. 'American Gods' is good too, but Gaiman's 'Anansi Boys' even more fun.

I'm looking forward to 'Doctor Sleep' which is King's sequel to 'The Shining.' And I might try 'Anna Kerenina' having really liked the film.

juicychops Fri 21-Dec-12 22:09:59

ive been recommended the Rebus books so im also going to make a start on them in the new year

BabeRuthless Fri 21-Dec-12 10:50:40

And I definitely will read American Gods by Neil Gaimann.

hackmum Fri 21-Dec-12 08:23:54

Am finally going to give War and Peace a whirl. I've been meaning to read it for years (don't we all), but the other day I was at a Christmas fete and they had a paperback copy in extremely good condition for £1.50. So I decided that now must be the time.

BabeRuthless Fri 21-Dec-12 07:48:12

I've promised myself I'll read Great Expectations this year. Night Circus and In Cold Blood have been on my to-read list for what seems like an age. I'm going to try and finish the Rebus books too, I'm up to Black and Blue. 2013 is going to be the year of books I've been meaning to read.

juicychops Thu 20-Dec-12 22:21:44

what is on your book list to read in 2013?

mine so far...

the rest of Peter james 'Roy Grace' series
Les miserables
Light - the last in the Gone series by Michael Grant
Derren Brown biography
a couple of Susan Lewis books i have on my shelf
Lord of the Flies
i may also read the twilight books again blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now