just read 'the wicked girls'...

(18 Posts)
YesAnastasia Fri 11-Jan-13 14:47:27

I might get brave and read the rest then.

But then sometimes I wish you could 'un-know' stuff. Things stay on my mind forever.

veryworried29 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:37:28

oooh oooooh, I got this for Christmas! Not reading thread ... will start on it tonight. V excited.

It's not Anastasia, it's really well written and rather than being shocking as such, without trying to post a spoiler, you end up thinking differently about the whole thing - it's not only a tragedy for the little girl who dies, but for the other two too - and even ends up being almost a "good" thing for the one from the deprived home. It's really thought provoking. There was one bit that got to me, later on in the book, but it had actually nothing to do with the child or any children, and was only a tiny scene - just an AWWW nooooooooo moment but not utterly heartbreakingly awful iykwim.

YesAnastasia Tue 08-Jan-13 22:29:42

Is it easy to read? I'm finding it difficult to read about that subject matter since having the dc.

I was enjoying it so much but didn't think I could read on when I realised what they'd done - is it too harrowing??

Mrsrudolphduvall Fri 04-Jan-13 14:17:42

It's excellent.

spamm Fri 04-Jan-13 14:10:42

OK - so frustrating, as this is not available to kindle users here in the USA until later this year.

Does anybody know how I can buy it, get hold of it for my kindle now, or do I have to get a paperback? Aggghhhhh.

chirpchirp Fri 04-Jan-13 14:05:12

Definitely worth getting as long as you like your fiction dark and slightly terrifying Paris! Mr Niven is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors.

fromparistoberlin Wed 02-Jan-13 11:47:11

is cold hands worth getting chirp? I just read the review and it looks dark as fxxk!

fromparistoberlin Wed 02-Jan-13 11:39:54

i really liked it too, hear hear!

chirpchirp Mon 24-Dec-12 14:47:35

You know when you read a really good book the next one you read never quite lives up to it? Well I read The Wicked Girls straight after reading "Cold Hands" by John J Niven. Enjoyed them both but Cold Hands is probably my book of 2012.

TheFoosa Sat 22-Dec-12 13:16:53

just finished this, thought the ending was brave as I suspected it was all going to end neatly

ViperInTheManger Fri 21-Dec-12 18:06:22

I enjoyed it too and thought the ending was realistic and thought provoking

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Fri 21-Dec-12 17:59:27

really enjoyed it, I am far from posh enough to say rally for really grin

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Fri 21-Dec-12 17:58:37

I rally enjoyed this too

combinearvester Fri 21-Dec-12 17:57:11

See I have been put off reading it because I like a main character I can identify with and I wasn't sure I would be able to.

ninjanurse Fri 21-Dec-12 17:54:33

Ive just finished it as well. Really enjoyed it, quite thought provoking and zips along really quick towards the end.

valiumredhead Fri 21-Dec-12 15:09:55

Fantastic, isn't it?

juicychops Thu 20-Dec-12 21:01:55

i recommend it highly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now