What was this book?

(6 Posts)
DuchessofMalfi Wed 19-Dec-12 12:39:26

I remember it was a Richard & Judy bookclub choice from a few years ago. I read it but it didn't make a huge impression on me. I didn't love it, but I did remember enough of it to be able to identify it from your description grin

LadyWellian Wed 19-Dec-12 12:34:21

Gosh, those people on Amazon didn't like it much, did they? I can't remember if I did or not, but it obviously made some kind of impression.

LadyWellian Wed 19-Dec-12 12:29:09

Yes, Duchess, thank you! This is why I love MN. grin

Fire, I probably read it when we first moved into our house, when everything was in boxes, and I had four or five books out every three weeks for 8 or 9 months - that's a lot of history!

FireOverBethlehem Wed 19-Dec-12 12:24:47

If you got it from the library, go in and ask them to show you your loan history. They can do this as most library management systems retain records of the books that you've borrowed previously.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 19-Dec-12 12:22:08

Was it this?

LadyWellian Wed 19-Dec-12 12:08:14

I suddenly thought of a book earlier. I can't remember a great deal about it and now it's driving me nuts. It was an American book in the Jay McInerney or Bret Easton Ellis vein, though not one of them I don't think.

The central character was a middle-aged man who was having a mid-life crisis. He worked in an advertising agency or similar; his boss was a woman; most of his colleagues were younger and more successful than him; one of them died. There was something about a totem pole in a backyard that may have belonged to the dead colleague. There is a bit where he locks himself in the car. There was something very significant about a particular office chair. It was a relatively recent book - last 10 years or so.

I've probably forgotten all the significant plot points and only remembered isolated images, but I'd be really grateful if someone with a less selective memory than mine can tell me what it was! There's no point in my going home and looking for it as I'm 99% sure I got it from the library.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now