The Cazalets fans - R4 serialisation in the New year

(22 Posts)
Blu Mon 17-Dec-12 11:47:53

Starting on Dec 31st, as the Women's Hour serial, all 4 books will be dramatised in a total of 45 episodes!

Great stuff. Good team of writers, too - more than half the series is by Lin Coghlan who did 'Les Mis', Ethan Frome, The Fortunes of War and Mansfield Park all for radio.

Do the BBC release these serialisations as audio books? I can never catch many episodes, and need them all in one place at one time to listen to in the car.

seeker Mon 17-Dec-12 11:48:54

Really?

Fantastic!

Blu Mon 17-Dec-12 18:08:07

yes - but the R4 website is being very coy about it atm, and are only showing details for the first 4 episodes confused

Lomaamina Tue 18-Dec-12 10:08:14

Blu can you possibly give a link to the information? Though googling turned up an old Desert Island Discs with her www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/4973ec45.

Also, I read a while ago on Mumsnet that she's planning a fifth volume to the chronicles. I wonder if it's progressing and the adaptation will be used to promote it (or am I overthinking this wink) www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adult_fiction/a1522939-A-fifth-instalment-of-the-Cazalets.

Blu Tue 18-Dec-12 13:21:59

Radio 4 info re the beginning. I know there will be 45 episodes and that they are doing all 4 books because I have secret sources grin

Blu Tue 18-Dec-12 13:23:45

I think the serialsation of the first 4 books is in honour of EJH's 90th b'day.

Nivet Tue 18-Dec-12 13:27:47

Thank you for posting about this, I would have hated to miss it. I'm too excited. grin

I'm hoping you will be able to buy/download it.

I'm just playing catch up with the Dorothy L Sayers that R4 are doing at the moment - perfect background for present wrapping.

Lomaamina Tue 18-Dec-12 13:42:18

Thanks blu!

magimedi88 Tue 18-Dec-12 16:08:41

Thank you for that! I love those books - a favourite 'comfort re-read'.

elkiedee Thu 20-Dec-12 19:25:51

A lot of BBC material is available to buy - www.audiogo.com sells downloads and CDs. Obviously as these dramatisations haven't even been broadcast, they're not out yet - there are lots of unabridged downloads (you could even look up your local public library catalogue online and see if you can go in and borrow materials, actually my libraries have some sort of online audio lending as well but I've never investigated it properly).

Lomaamina Thu 20-Dec-12 20:01:46

Thanks for that link elkidee - lots of lovely material for my MP3 player and here's the precise location of the UK site in case anyone's struggling to find it: www.audiogo.com/uk/browse-categories/bbc-radio

LRDtheFeministDude Fri 21-Dec-12 15:06:02

Ooh, yay! Thank you!

Now, who did you picture playing each part?

I have Hugh Bonneville in my head but I've just googled and that must be because they did a TV series before with him in.

Galaxymum Wed 02-Jan-13 19:49:45

Just found The Light Years has gone way down to 74p on Kindle on Amazon. I've been hoping this would happen!

Lomaamina Thu 03-Jan-13 14:34:48

Galaxymum are you listening to the Radio 4 adaptation? I'm finding it a bit too graphic with the sighs and groans - at least with the family around to listen alongside me grin. But the acting is excellent in my humble opinion. Especially the trio of girl cousins.

Galaxymum Fri 04-Jan-13 16:48:20

I'm just on catch up and planning to listen regularly when dd back at school. I like the narration and the 3 cousins but was a bit ooohhhh at the groans with DD here!

TheLoneRanger Fri 04-Jan-13 16:55:32

Is one of the cousins an actress from the Archers? Louise - is she the Archer girl married to the blacksmith?

Nivet Thu 24-Jan-13 11:23:11

Anyone else having trouble finding this on iPlayer, I listened to the first two weeks and now it's disappeared!?

IloveJudgeJudy Sun 27-Jan-13 00:05:46

The first book was only two weeks long. The second book is in February or March, I think.

Nivet Sun 27-Jan-13 18:28:14

Bugger, then I must have missed the last episode. Thanks for letting me know, I have been tweeting Radio 4 asking without any response.

I wonder if they'll release it as a download.

careergirl Fri 01-Feb-13 09:28:31

The Light Years was on offer and i bought it for Kindle. Loving it so much have downloaded the other books
fantastic, cannot believe not read these before.

snozzlemaid Fri 01-Feb-13 17:50:03

Noticed yesterday that these books are on sale in The Works. 3 books for £5.

Waswondering Sat 20-Apr-13 20:37:19

Bumping this ... The third book, Confusion, is being serialised from Monday. 1045 on R4, repeated in the evening.

Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now