Dark romance recomendations

(13 Posts)
tiggy114 Sun 16-Dec-12 18:26:13

I hate cheesy nicey romance so have always stayed away from the genre. But i love wuthering heights. the dark, angry, troubled male and the strk, dreary moors. I also like 50 shades but not coz of the rudies (not very rude compared to some stuff i've read) but because the male is damaged again and i like to see how him and the female manage to get through it. Guess i like the dark nature of twilight too. I want dark and desperate. And no cheese. Lol. Any ideas?

tiggy114 Sun 16-Dec-12 18:27:32

Oh and i don't mind if it's fantasy but not sci fi really. Happy with straight or gay themes.

Bonnefoi Sun 16-Dec-12 18:44:24

Sylvia Day's Crossfire series has a dark sort of a hero in the manner of 50 Shades (without the red room of pain, etc grin ), and it's better written IMO.

Don't get me wrong, neither are exactly going to be the next Wuthering Heights, but I found it less annoying than 50 Shades in terms of grammar, characterisation and whatever.

tiggy114 Sun 16-Dec-12 19:43:23

Thing about 50 was that i liked the characters and the intense bond they developed, but it became irritating because of the small vocab EL james possess. If i read "holy hell" or "delicious" one more time i was gonna scream. I wanna re write it coz the backgeound story was really good. I thought.

TakeMyEyesButNotTheMulledWine Sun 16-Dec-12 21:03:07

If you don't mind fantasy, try the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward.

Dark Lover is book one.

Once you get past the character names, and the overuse of the letter 'h', you will be addicted to the series.

lunchbox Sun 16-Dec-12 21:09:32

Yy to Sylvia day and black dagger botherhood

Watching thread with interest to see what others come up with

gokhuvegeta Mon 17-Dec-12 01:37:12

The Darkness in the shadows- m l briers- only on ebook though unfortunately but you get to read a chunk free on amazon to see if you like it first, so bonus.

tiggy114 Mon 17-Dec-12 08:26:30

Ooo thanks guys. Lots to look up smile

TakeMyEyesButNotTheMulledWine Mon 17-Dec-12 16:02:10

Definitely start with the BDB series. There's 11 (I think) books already out, next one out in march. So enough to keepyou going until then.

I couldn't put them down, sounds exactly what you're looking for.

tiggy114 Mon 17-Dec-12 16:53:29

Ah i just looked and i've been recommended dark lover before and actually have it down loaded! So i'm good to go! Will let you know what i think grin

KelleStarOfWonder Wed 19-Dec-12 17:01:12

Karen Marie Monings Fever series is great stuff, little bit naughty and has a dark romance theme mixed with Fae/Urban Fantasy, Jericho Barrons is to die for. Start with Darkfever.

lolajane2009 Thu 20-Dec-12 09:51:11

lothaire by kresley cole.

CoteDAzur Thu 20-Dec-12 13:46:31

Gone Girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now