graphic novels that make you go wow

(37 Posts)
riskit4abiskit Tue 04-Dec-12 21:48:13

Hello,

I really rate Maus - about the holocaust as being amazing, and have watchmen too.
Have bought dh one about a plague for Xmas (shamelessly really a present to me!)

Anyone else have any recommendations?
Thanks

Campaspe Sat 22-Dec-12 18:57:29

The Night Bookmobile
Would recommend some Alison Bechdel - already mentioned here.
Another vote for anything and everything by Posy Simmonds
Asterios Polyp - weird and brilliant.

Rattitude Sun 16-Dec-12 17:49:26

I have not read many but highly rate 'Maus' and 'Persepolis'.

I have just bought 'Palestine' as a Christmas present for my sister. Has anybody read it?

SantasNaughtySack Sun 16-Dec-12 17:45:02

X Men Noir, the Firefly series and The Walking Deads.

Agree with Sin City, V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

Keep hearing amazing things about Maus, it's on my Christmas list grin

lidlqueen Sun 16-Dec-12 17:39:17

Tamara Drewe by Posy Simmonds - brilliant!

BeataNoxPotter Sun 16-Dec-12 17:37:45

Oh, and Dark Entries, by Ian Rankin

BeataNoxPotter Sun 16-Dec-12 17:36:43

Preacher
Hellblazer
Maus
Slaine

CaipirinhasAllRound Sun 16-Dec-12 17:29:02

I really liked Pure by Andrew Miller. It's about digging up an old graveyard in Paris in the 18th century

Lionsntigersnbears Fri 07-Dec-12 20:17:39

Hoe you enjoy it Surgeonsmate. I'm waiting for Vol. 2, and I have no patience :-)

Also remembered 'Castle Waiting' - which might be out of print. Its a weird story- nothing much happens, but its completely charming and the art work is brilliant. It reads as though written by Neil Gaiman on a really happy day. Its set in the world of Sleeping Beauty- but after she has recovered and gone off with her prince charming. The castle becomes a refuge for fairy tale characters. I can't really describe it, but it's touching without being schmaltzy

Ooh, lionsntigersnbears that Saga looks like our sort of thing, I have ordered volume one for DHs Christmas. I just hope amazon isn't busy Recommending it to him!

ecuse Wed 05-Dec-12 20:23:13

Seconding Persepolis!

riskit4abiskit Wed 05-Dec-12 20:21:31

C4ro, we were massive fans of the bleach anime but it finished for ever in a really lame way.

Some of these sound amazing, can't wait to get ebaying!

C4ro Wed 05-Dec-12 10:45:37

Most have been got but I also love Barry Ween, Boy Genius; Girl Genius- both sort of inventor+gadget romps. Ranma; Bleach in Manga both great although I found Bleach dies out a bit around 30 (it's on 40+ now). Mouseguard is very pretty. Logicomix is on the level of Persepolis/ Maus for the complicated end of GN with a message. Order of the Stick just for fun.

TheElfOnThePanopticon Wed 05-Dec-12 10:12:11

I read When the Wind Blows when I was 11 and was terrified for most of my teens.

There's one about the author's brother's epilepsy which had very good reviews, but I haven't read it and can't remember the author or title.

ravenAK Tue 04-Dec-12 23:47:59

Must try Joe Hill's graphic stuff, I liked Heart Shaped Box (although v v reminiscent of some of his dad's work!).

Currently using 'When The Wind Blows' to generate dramatic monologues for my year 11s - it's surprised me how moved they were by it.

R2PeePoo Tue 04-Dec-12 23:42:40

I suspect they weren't written for my age group but I love 'Calamity Jack' and 'Rapunzel's Revenge' by Shannon and Dean Hale.

Amusing, exciting, well drawn, really lighthearted and escapist fantasy. My daughter and I 'share' them, they are perfect for tweens/teens as well.

'When the Wind Blows' and also 'Ethel and Ernest' by Raymond Briggs made me sob my heart out for different reasons. 'Safe Area Gorazde' broke my heart completely.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Tue 04-Dec-12 23:35:44

Re Sandman; basically, it has just been so popular that they keep re-issuing it in different formats in the hope people will buy it again. Me, I've got some tatty trade paperbacks with the pages falling out, about 20 years old; and also the 'Absolute' collection, that DH has been pleased to discover would do for Xmas and birthday presents for the past two years grin

You could legitmately skip 'Preludes and Nocturnes' and go straight to 'Dolls House' ;there is sufficient explanation to keep you on track, you could see if it's your sort of thing or not.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Tue 04-Dec-12 23:28:00

Oh, Joe Hill (Locke & Key) has also written some traditional-style (!?) novels; Horns and Heart-shaped box, both of which I liked.

CindySherman Tue 04-Dec-12 23:18:50

Maus - amazing

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Tue 04-Dec-12 23:17:14

Ooh, you buggers, virtually everything I came on to recommend has been said already.

Except Preacher! Great, but pretty violent.

So, series I have loved: Sandman, of course; Y the last man; Fables; Locke & Key; Joe Sacco's work...

Stand-alone books: Fun Home (have read recently the author has done a sequel), Stuck Rubber Baby (about growing up gay in 60's USA)

If you find the books expensive, you can always look on eBay for them, if you just want the story and aren't too fussy about mint editions. Some of us are funding the DC's Xmas presents with judicious flogging grin.
Having looked it up, am now severely tempted to sell V for vendetta - I mean, how many times can you read it anyway? aargh....

ravenAK Tue 04-Dec-12 23:14:27

The Sandman is awesome.

Also Martin Rowson's The Wasteland.

PurpleTinsel Tue 04-Dec-12 23:12:34

Fables is fantastic. Have only read the first 2 volumes of Y the Last Man, but enjoyed them.

Sandman very good too - there's 10 volumes of Sandman, starting with Preludes and Nocturnes.

The first volume of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was good, but the series went rapidly downhill after that IMO.

Also liked Akira.

ArtexTheHallWithBoughsOfMonkey Tue 04-Dec-12 23:00:32

Oh I love the Sandman, start with Preludes and Nocturnes and read the originals in the order they were written, and then decide if you can be arsed with the spin offs etc. IMO.

Yy to Y the Last Man as well.

I like Love and Rockets as well, especially teh Magge and Hopey stories. Also, Ghostworld.

Lionsntigersnbears Tue 04-Dec-12 22:55:21

Second Thesurgeonsmate's choices, especially Locke and Key which has to be the best series out there at the moment. I also loved Y! Saga is also good- aliens with a baby in tow fleeing persecution. Also Morning Glories- weird shennanigans set in a scary dystopian boarding school- is pretty good. I love Posy Simmonds too- I think the second one is called Tamara Drew (?).

AngryGnome Tue 04-Dec-12 22:52:55

You might like Barefoot Gen. It is similar in tone to Maus, but instead deals with the atomic bombings in Japan. It's a fascinating medium to use to to talk about trauma and survival.

YY I love Y - The Last Man too.

The whole thing is very expensive, though. The bound volumes of comic series cost as much as books (which is fair!) but they only take a fraction of the time to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now