graphic novels that make you go wow

(37 Posts)
riskit4abiskit Tue 04-Dec-12 21:48:13

Hello,

I really rate Maus - about the holocaust as being amazing, and have watchmen too.
Have bought dh one about a plague for Xmas (shamelessly really a present to me!)

Anyone else have any recommendations?
Thanks

C4ro Wed 05-Dec-12 10:45:37

Most have been got but I also love Barry Ween, Boy Genius; Girl Genius- both sort of inventor+gadget romps. Ranma; Bleach in Manga both great although I found Bleach dies out a bit around 30 (it's on 40+ now). Mouseguard is very pretty. Logicomix is on the level of Persepolis/ Maus for the complicated end of GN with a message. Order of the Stick just for fun.

riskit4abiskit Wed 05-Dec-12 20:21:31

C4ro, we were massive fans of the bleach anime but it finished for ever in a really lame way.

Some of these sound amazing, can't wait to get ebaying!

ecuse Wed 05-Dec-12 20:23:13

Seconding Persepolis!

Ooh, lionsntigersnbears that Saga looks like our sort of thing, I have ordered volume one for DHs Christmas. I just hope amazon isn't busy Recommending it to him!

Lionsntigersnbears Fri 07-Dec-12 20:17:39

Hoe you enjoy it Surgeonsmate. I'm waiting for Vol. 2, and I have no patience :-)

Also remembered 'Castle Waiting' - which might be out of print. Its a weird story- nothing much happens, but its completely charming and the art work is brilliant. It reads as though written by Neil Gaiman on a really happy day. Its set in the world of Sleeping Beauty- but after she has recovered and gone off with her prince charming. The castle becomes a refuge for fairy tale characters. I can't really describe it, but it's touching without being schmaltzy

CaipirinhasAllRound Sun 16-Dec-12 17:29:02

I really liked Pure by Andrew Miller. It's about digging up an old graveyard in Paris in the 18th century

BeataNoxPotter Sun 16-Dec-12 17:36:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 16-Dec-12 17:37:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lidlqueen Sun 16-Dec-12 17:39:17

Tamara Drewe by Posy Simmonds - brilliant!

SantasNaughtySack Sun 16-Dec-12 17:45:02

X Men Noir, the Firefly series and The Walking Deads.

Agree with Sin City, V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

Keep hearing amazing things about Maus, it's on my Christmas list grin

Rattitude Sun 16-Dec-12 17:49:26

I have not read many but highly rate 'Maus' and 'Persepolis'.

I have just bought 'Palestine' as a Christmas present for my sister. Has anybody read it?

Campaspe Sat 22-Dec-12 18:57:29

The Night Bookmobile
Would recommend some Alison Bechdel - already mentioned here.
Another vote for anything and everything by Posy Simmonds
Asterios Polyp - weird and brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now