Book recs for 17 year old dd

(63 Posts)

Would like to get dd1 some books for Christmas, as she loves reading and hasn't had much chance recently as she's been working so hard for school. She hopes to read English at uni. She's read a lot of the classics already and particularly loves Austen, Plath and Madame Bovary.

I'd like to get her some lovely copies of classics, or modern classics, but want it to be something that she hasn't already read or that we haven't already got.

Help please!

FairPhyllis Mon 26-Nov-12 20:30:31

Just looking at what the Folio Society have, there's also things like The Arabian Nights, First Love by Turgenev, The Master and Margarita. They also have Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf, and other poetry.

Or if she doesn't have it, maybe the Oxford Book of English Verse?

I have the Folio edition of The Name of the Rose, which is stunningly beautiful.

Will look at WH Smith now, thanks.

No to Jodie Picoult though - she's read a few of hers for light reading but I want to get her good stuff (book snob!).

Flambards - that's it. Might buy that for me.

notnowImreading Sun 25-Nov-12 19:52:59

I think the one with the brothers is the Flambards series - one nice brother, one not so nice but more sexy brother, she marries one, he dies in WW1, she marries the other. Can't actually remember the gardener but it's all set in the sort of house that would have one. There are horses in it. It's by KM Peyton. I think it's one I might re-read on the kindle because I did love the soaring emotion/tragedy etc as a teen. Younger than 17, though, I think.

SirBoobAlot Sun 25-Nov-12 19:25:02

I'm 21, so not much older. I'm currently rereading Lady Chatterley's Lover, which is such a wonderful book. If you're looking for nice copies of classics, either old fashioned bookstores, or WHSmiths have some stunning pocket sized classics, with gold edged pages and everything. They're beautiful. I have several.

Aside from that, some I reread over and over aged 17, and still do now:

- To Kill A Mockingbird
- Les Miserables
- The Age Of Innocence
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- Anything by Jodi Picoult for easy reading
- Canterbury Tales

If you're on The Book People at all, they have several great book sets.

Adds truck to Amazon order...

It IS a lovely thread, isn't it?

Which series is it where a girl seems to fancy a couple of brothers and the gardener or something? I read the first one but not any of the others and have completely forgotten what it is.

notnowImreading Sun 25-Nov-12 19:11:35

I think your main problem will be finding a truck big enough to deliver all these fantastic reads!

BestIsWest Sun 25-Nov-12 19:11:24

Can I just say this is a lovely thread. I want to go back and re-read lots of these myself.

exexpat Sun 25-Nov-12 19:01:28

Yes, I am tempted by the cloth-bound Penguins too - though it's a shame it's a very limited range compared to the Everyman ones. And, as I keep reminding myself while looking at my overloaded bookshelves, I really don't need any more books for a while. I though getting a kindle might help, but it doesn't seem to have put me off buying physical books too.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 25-Nov-12 18:27:26

The Forsythe Saga?

The cloth ones are gorgeous, aren't they? I was drooling over them in Waterstones today.

exexpat Sun 25-Nov-12 18:15:09

Maybe these cloth bound Penguin classics, then? Or there's always Folio, but they are very £££.

I like the Everyman ones but tbh I suspect she'd like 'pretty' rather than 'classic styling.' smile

BikeRunSki Sun 25-Nov-12 17:52:24

When I was 17 I read "Now I Know" by Aidan Chambers over and over again. It is fairly straightforward to read, but brings up some challenging ideas to think about. It is approachable because the main protaganist is 17. Here's the website. I see it is now studied for GCSE! I read it when it was first published.

exexpat Sun 25-Nov-12 17:46:27

They have The Outsider and some other Camus, plus lots of others mentioned on this thread, I think.

exexpat Sun 25-Nov-12 17:43:33

Ah, I think I missed the bit about wanting pretty, collectible-style editions. Maybe have a look at Everyman's Library - they have re-released a lot of good things in good, solid editions (I replaced most of my falling-apart Austens with their versions).

Yes to Forster too - she's reading, 'Howard's Bleedin' End' as we speak.

You lot are brilliant!

She's read Steinbeck and Vanity Fair and 'All Quiet' and I think 'Fight Club' and a fair few Hardys and 'Lady Audley' and..erm...Kafka and...and..several of the others.

What I really want is lovely classics in a beautiful edition to save forever, so I'm now going to google all the things you've listed to see which ones are prettiest. Camus is currently top of the list. Oh and she's also heavily into Philosophy, so if you have any recs in that direction too, that would be great. smile

Oo she's not male, but what about Antonia White?

And Rosamond Lehman?

And one of my other favourites, Gertrude Stein, who I've so far held off on mentioning (I think?).....and Anais Nin!

I second Primo Levi!

Dickens is funny once you get into his style. The Old Curiosity Shop has another saint of a young heroine, but she's not as insufferable as most.

What about W. Somerset Maugham's portrait of Gauguin, The Moon and Sixpence?

Balzac, yeah.....perfect for teenagers.

EM Forster is good too! I loved Maurice at a bit younger than she is.

HE Bates? My Uncle Silas is fun, and there's one about a 17 year old babysitter and her complicated relationship with the child.....

Trying to think of more male writers....I wish I was in my room so I could look at my shelves!

Selks Sun 25-Nov-12 03:26:20

Steinbeck - the grapes of wrath
To kill a mockingbird
Thomas hardy - tess of the d'urbervilles
Charles dickens
John le carre - the constant gardener

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 02:55:57

Definitely Zola. As a melodrama-mad teenager, I loved them. And I was another who had lots of green-spined books from Virago and Penguin Modern Classics. DH Lawrence, Virginia Woolf, EM Forster etc. I think I read A Room With A View about 27 million times one year. Agree with the American suggestions and would add To Kill A Mockingbird. Maybe Edna St Vincent Millay for poetry - arch, witty, accesible. Ooh, and Vanity Fair. Everyone should read Vanity Fair.

FairPhyllis Sun 25-Nov-12 02:44:01

Has she read Gaskell? Cranford, North and South, Life of Charlotte Bronte.
Braddon? Lady Audley's Secret

OK male writers:

Vikram Seth, A Suitable Boy
Mapp and Lucia are great
Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory
PG Wodehouse
de Quincey, Confessions of an English Opium Eater
Fielding, Tom Jones
Jerome, Three Men in a Boat. I remember reading it at about that age and finding it hysterically funny.
Childers, The Riddle of the Sands
Naipaul, A Bend in the River
Primo Levi, The Periodic Table
Martin Amis, The Rachel Papers - actually that would be a great thing to read at that age.

Maybe some US writers?

Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms
Twain, Huck Finn
Edith Wharton
Henry James
Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night
Salinger
Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

boxoftricks Sun 25-Nov-12 02:44:00

Jodie picoult?

JessePinkman Sun 25-Nov-12 02:37:35

Zola and de balzac
Why didnt she like the Woman in White?
Dickens are brilliant, so funny and nicely written. I mean they are considered classics for a very good reason.

I am a sad act that makes reading lists for my children, I love literature and I want to share that with my children.

God, actually get your dd to read Foucalt's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, and then let her talk to me, please. Please.

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Sun 25-Nov-12 02:11:47

Norwegian Wood

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now