Romance - never read it before, but must be getting old and fancy reading a lovely romantic (NOT filthy erotic ) story - any recommendations? (been inspired by watching Me &Mrs Jones if that helps)

(34 Posts)
reddwarf Tue 13-Nov-12 13:01:58

Seem to have said it all

On Kindle if possible!

TheCountessOlenska Wed 21-Nov-12 17:29:32

Yes I agree Jilly Cooper - my favourite is Rivals for romance.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - if anyone hasn't read this, i implore you to read it!! grin

Hmm - Gone With The Wind a good read, Katherine by Anya Seton if you like Historical . . .

frenchfancy Wed 21-Nov-12 17:33:48

I like Maeve Binchy for easy read romance.

snozzlemaid Tue 11-Dec-12 20:47:45

I've just finished reading Please Don't Stop the Music by Jane Lovering. A very easy read, lots of romance and desperately wanting the characters to get together.

lauraellajane Tue 11-Dec-12 22:48:09

Second Gone With the Wind!

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but Neville Shute's books have some touching romantic tones - very subtle, definitely no sex and written in the 40s so barely a kiss. A Town Like Alice and Requiem for a Wren.

The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley is a little more racy in parts (there's also a TV adaptation available to watch for free on 4OD)

HilaryM Tue 11-Dec-12 22:51:25

Marianna by Monica Dickens

gorgeous

HilaryM Tue 11-Dec-12 22:52:02
ValentineWiggins Tue 11-Dec-12 22:52:18

Another for gone with the wind. And "these old shades" by georgette heyer. Although if you want historical bodice rippers (heroes sweeping delicate virgins off their feet etc) try Kathleen woodiwiss.

HilaryM Tue 11-Dec-12 23:10:41

Oh 'These Old Shades' is marvellous. Pretty much any of the Georgette Heyer historical romances will help you pass an hour or two.

KeithLeMonde Fri 25-Jan-13 14:21:24

The Mysteries of Glass by Sue Gee is one of the loveliest romance books I've ever read. It's easy to read but beautifully written and not in the slightlest chick-lit or 50-shades like smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now