Good fantasy book - perhaps by female author NOT twilighty

(52 Posts)
Peka Fri 09-Nov-12 14:26:00

Hi I'm thinking of reading a book (!) but want something lighter than literary fiction and when a teenager used to enjoy David Eddingsy things. DH has listened to game of thrones but seems to be perpetual fighting and rape etc can't quite stomach it. Also like Margaret Atwood and was wondering if there are any other good female fantasy writers. Twilight makes me want to be sick on myself however, need a girl with a bit more oomph in main character!

crescentmoon Thu 22-Nov-12 18:51:10

'days of blood and starlight' I bought it in hardback for 9.99 - it literally came out 2 weeks ago!

ValentineWiggins Thu 22-Nov-12 18:52:43

Jacqueline Carey "Kushiel" series...amazing fantasy/alternative history which is also about 10000 times sexier than 50 shades!

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 22-Nov-12 18:53:12

Ah my suggestions have already been suggested. Daughter of smoke and bones is great although very light. Discovery of witches is an amazing amazing book but lots of history in it.

ElectricSoftParade Thu 22-Nov-12 18:54:19

Woman on the edge of time by Marge Piercy.

I was going to suggest Anne McAffrey too, MrsSnaplegs - the Pern books and her other fantasy novels too.

Liskey Thu 22-Nov-12 19:03:36

Can recommend daughter of the empire trilogy by Raymond e feist and Janny Wurts.

lucysnowe Fri 23-Nov-12 14:37:50

Robin McKinley! Robin McKinley! Robin McKinley! Robin McKinley! Sunshine by her does have vampires in it - but is v. non-twilighty IMHO.

gokhuvegeta Sat 24-Nov-12 02:10:51

The Darkness in the Shadows- m l briers. It has vampires too but nothing like Twilight- sex- drinking of human blood and are extremely sarcastic.

piprabbit Sat 24-Nov-12 02:23:11

Angela Carter's writing is fantastic - and the books of fairytales that she edited will introduce you to all sorts of excellent writing.

I love the short stories of Sara Maitland - something like "The Book of Spells".

I've also just finished reading "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern and really enjoyed it.

Valdeeves Sat 24-Nov-12 08:51:55

I would echo - Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Lainie Taylor isn an artist and her style is so visual it's mesmerising,

nogoodusernamesleft Sun 25-Nov-12 19:05:42

Daughter of Smoke and Bone and the sequel are breathtakingly good - totally agree about the visual style Valdeeves - some sentences I would just sit and savour over and over! smile

Another I recently enjoyed was Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas - I got so involved with this that I immediately downloaded all the previous short novellas she had written with the same character!

CantStopEatingCheese Mon 26-Nov-12 20:27:36

I love the Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's more SF than fantasy and the lead character is male but there are also strong female characters in them. In fact in the first two books of the series the main character is Miles' mother. The whole series is quite thought provoking but still quite light and funny in places. I really want to read them all again!! She's also written some fantasy which I haven't read and some of those might have female lead characters?

CantStopEatingCheese Mon 26-Nov-12 20:29:14

And I second the Ursula LeGuin suggestion, I'd definitely want to re-read those too!

Virgil Mon 03-Dec-12 18:57:53

Try the host. Same author as twilight but very different. I really enjoyed it. How about Joanne Harris runemarks. Reminded me of Philip Pullman northern lights series.

fozmeadows Mon 03-Dec-12 20:26:07

Seconding everyone who's recommended Lois McMaster Bujold, Laini Taylor, Katharine Kerr and Suzanne Collins.

Would also suggest anything by Kate Elliott, N. K. Jemisin and Tamora Pierce.

ArthurPewty Mon 03-Dec-12 20:26:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MilesAwayGirl Mon 03-Dec-12 20:32:55

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is amazing, I can't recommend it highly enough. Also it's sequel Wise Man's Fear. I can't wait for the third to come out.

MilesAwayGirl Mon 03-Dec-12 20:33:26

Its. Darn autocorrect

2kidsintow Mon 03-Dec-12 20:36:12

I second Anne Mccaffrey.

For preference, though, if you want a strong and extremely sassy heroin. Lots of swordplay (kickass fights), humour in the writing and a host of magic and shapeshifters.... I heartily recommend the Ilona Andrews 'Magic Bites' series.
I absolutely love it.

Ahhhtetley Mon 03-Dec-12 20:38:10

Have you read any if the True Blood books. Easy reading and a bit more grown up than Twilight

hugoagogo Mon 03-Dec-12 20:51:02

Scarlett Thomas-The end of Mr Y, is a little dark, but a good read. She's wrote a couple more, but I haven't got round to reading them yet.

Try your local library for ideas too and save some pennies; lot's of them do e books too now, if you are interested.

ArthurPewty Mon 03-Dec-12 21:04:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kelpeed Sun 09-Dec-12 13:00:27

Juliet Marillier -
She has written several different series covering Pictish Scotland and pre-christian Ireland.
female heroines on all of them

kelpeed Sun 09-Dec-12 13:08:13

thumbs- ipad - posted too early

juliet marillier

her female heroines have various magical abilities, and are thinkers and doers. (but not in kick em down sort of way) .

kelpeed Sun 09-Dec-12 13:12:44

also just finished reading read Meljean Brooks' The Iron Duke. interesting alternative history with mechanised people . took me a while to work out how this world all worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now