Justin Cronin - The Twelve

(17 Posts)

Excellent - am very much looking forward to it now.

Do we get any exciting denouements?

What's his name that looked after the girl & changed - what happens there?

(Don't actually tell me though)

HumphreyCobbler Fri 16-Nov-12 21:54:15

Me too OneNIceGreenLeaf. I am loving it. A really compelling read.

Ooh, I'm loving The Twelve! About half way through and can barely think about anything else. In fact, why I am wasting precious reading time by mumsnetting??

I re-read The Passage just before and I'm really glad I did. You don't need to but it did add to my enjoyment.

I'm a complete wimp and found the books to be very tense and a bit scary, but in a good way. My DD is 11 months now and I did find The Passage much more sad when I read it as a mother compared to when I'd read it the first time. Almost painfully sad at times in fact. But still very enjoyable.

Vivalebeaver Fri 16-Nov-12 21:40:35

I didn't think it was scary. Tense and a bit horrific in places but not scary.

I do wish I'd re read The Passage again before I read this one.

Ahh - thanks all - I abandoned my own thread there - have asked for The Twelve for Christmas so was going to give the Passage another outing beforehand as I read it ridiculously quickly & can't remember all the salient points.

Poppy, shouldn't be too bad with a newborn, just stay away from Cormac McCarthy's The Road, I read it just after DS was born & it very nearly gave me PND due to the unremittingly bleak nature of it all.

Brilliant book, but not great a week post-partum, it affected me so much I gave it an alternative, more sunny ending, I was chatting to a friend about it a few years later & we were talking about the end, I mentioned how I was glad there was a glimmer of hope. They looked at me aghast & invited me to read the last few chapters again.

I did, they were right - I think my mind re-wrote in for self-preservation.

I read The Passage again first and was glad I did - but I read ridiculously quickly and then forget just about everything!

voddiekeepsmesane Mon 12-Nov-12 19:08:43

Read The Passage a while ago ....will it be best to read it again before going on to The Twelve or can you pick up the story again quite quickly???

ClaraDeLaNoche Mon 12-Nov-12 18:57:31

Have just started The Twelve, really enjoying it. It isn't developing the way I thought it would which is just as well as I read The Stand after The Passage and am now hopelessly mixed up. But in a happy apocalyptic way.

Not at all scary - just quite an exciting but easy read.

PoppyAmex Sun 11-Nov-12 11:09:03

Thanks Humphrey and OneHoly, think I'll hold off for now in that case.

Shame, because I think it sounds really good - I was reading the summary on Amazon and there's the author's description on how he got the idea from his 8 year old daughter and how they developed the concept together. Great story.

OneHolyCow Sat 10-Nov-12 21:28:10

I'm not very wimpish but darling husband is.. ooooh he was as engrossed as I was and we co-read both books.
It is, to be honest, quite a read and scary at times, and we did not have a newborn.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 10-Nov-12 21:23:50

I found it quite scary, but bloody brilliant. As a new mum I think the first chapter is the worst bit.

I just read the Passage again and enjoyed it a great deal. A fast read. I am looking forward to getting The Twelve.

PoppyAmex Sat 10-Nov-12 21:21:09

Sorry quick question - I've been dying to read "The Passage" but I'm an absolute wimp (especially since DD was born 7 months ago) and was wondering how scary is it?

I liked it - not as much as 'The Passage' though, as I thought it took too long on back-story. Will probably read both of them one after the other again before Christmas, to see how they flow.

OneHolyCow Thu 08-Nov-12 15:59:40

Am reading it right now! Can hardly let it go for sleep and other stuff.. in fact, what am I doing here?!

No disappointment after the Passage, reading it straight after.

BabeRuthless Thu 08-Nov-12 06:21:35

Waiting for it to come down in price, for I am a cheapskate. Loved The Passage though.

Has anyone read it yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now