what's ian rankin like for adult content?

(10 Posts)
BigBoPeep Wed 07-Nov-12 17:36:55

not read it myself but hearing about the rebus ones the other day and thought it might appeal to my elderly grandad for christmas. he's not so active thesedays very sadly and i think likes getting involved in a detective story, figuring it out.

I know he's a big boy but he doesnt like effing and jeffing and if there's lots of rudeybits it'd be inappropriate for me to buy it for him. he's a vicar too!

the odd swearword we can deal with but if it's every other word....

lljkk Wed 07-Nov-12 19:03:04

No not sweary at all.
Or sexy.
Just gritty. Rebus is very conflicted about finding his better nature and dealing with worst sides of human nature. Vicar should appreciate that!

Are you sure he hasn't read any of them before?

BigBoPeep Thu 08-Nov-12 12:34:19

Thanks - I'm not sure, btu he wasnt a big reader until recently so I think there's a good chance he hasnt...

UltraBOF Thu 08-Nov-12 12:36:07

I think he would like them.

highlandcoo Thu 08-Nov-12 23:34:44

Ian Rankin's Rebus novels are good and you could also try Steven Booth's series of detective novels set in the Peak Districy maybe, or Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series which is touches on some medicine and religious themes.

highlandcoo Thu 08-Nov-12 23:35:18

Peak District!

sashh Fri 09-Nov-12 03:19:33

I enjoy them at this time of year, I can't read them on a sunny day - too much rain and gray skies.

No sex, occasional violence (well they are about murders) a few twists.

Depending on how active he is you can visit the pubs locations and police station in the books. There are full walking tours, but they are 2 hours long.

BigBoPeep Sun 11-Nov-12 12:03:28

gah! foiled! i visited yesterday and what was on the coffee table? ...at least i was right....

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-12 13:09:17

What about the Inspector Montalbano books? Kind of a light-hearted Italian equivalent. And nearly a dozen of them.

I am super keen on Dr. Siri Paibourn books (Colin Coterrill). My folks who like crime mysteries are reading them. Too light for my dad, but step-mum (70yo) enjoys. Best read in order, and be mindful that the latest book is much darker than the others.

BigBoPeep Sun 11-Nov-12 16:03:20

will have a look for the dr siri ones - he does like light, fan of hamish mcbeth!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now