Can anyone help if I say what I DON'T like? I don't know what I want!

(32 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 06-Nov-12 23:13:32

I really struggle with finding adult fiction that I like, I don't really know where to start, and there's so much crap to wade through. Give me a good YA novel and I'll be happy, but I can't help feeling I ought to grow up at some point...

I recently read When God Was A Rabbit which I enjoyed, but am currently reading three separate books which I've stalled on - The Snow Child (didn't get very far, seemed slow - but might pick that one back up) My Dear, I Wanted To Tell You (not massively in the mood for this at the moment - bit depressing) and The Hundred Year Old Man... (Started off good, very funny, but got a bit drudgy and political in the middle and I don't know half of the big events or important people it's referencing and I feel like I should, so it makes me feel stupid blush)

What should I try next? I don't really know what I want from a book which I think doesn't help! I know what I don't want.

- Revenge stories
- Overly political/conspiracy based type things
- Swords and sorcery type fantasy, or other supernatural things, like vampires etc, especially if the story relies heavily on the fact they are vampires, or whatever.
- (Bit petty blush) Characters who have bizarre names. I don't mind one or two, but I have trouble remembering names at the best of times, so if everyone is called Lefilder and Beflox and Cannington then I'm going to lose track of who's who.
- Inane love stories - I like reading about love/relationships, but I want it to be a good one, not a one-dimensional thing, and no abuse if it isn't going to be called out as abuse, either.
- Historical stuff (anything set before the 20th century) and especially that kind of "classic" narrative. I really have to be in the mood for it and it will put me off.
- Scary stories that are going to stop me from sleeping at night, or anything with totally unnecessary gratuitous violence.

I like interesting/well-developed relationships between characters, and plot twists, and humour. I like worldbuilding, or something set in the real world but done well, so you can imagine the place even if you've never been there.

cubscout Tue 13-Nov-12 21:41:34

Have you tried any Anne Tyler? Beautifully captured relationships.

Zoomania Tue 13-Nov-12 21:44:45

Jodie picoult? Great people stories with moral dilemmas and twists.

Time travellers wife by Audrey N something.....captivating clever and haunting love story which I think is a modern classic.

Beamur Tue 13-Nov-12 21:47:13

Jasper Fforde - Thursday Next books. For grown ups but easy to read, quite funny, well plotted. You might like if you like Hitchhikers Guide type books - it's less sci fi, though but arguably tending towards fantasy. Set in Croydon in the 1980's so not historical, not scary and with a good solid love story at the heart of it. Def not highbrow.

CarefulUpThere Tue 13-Nov-12 21:54:45

If you liked hitchhiker's try Jasper Fforde starting with Eyre Affair- it is funny, lots of puns and plots twists, strong female lead, realistic romance sub plot and is set in fab slightly alternative world where everyone is obsessed with books instead of football.

I've never found reading quite so much fun since graduating out of teenage section of library either...

CarefulUpThere Tue 13-Nov-12 21:55:25

Cross post! Great minds and all that...

vamosbebe Tue 13-Nov-12 21:55:35

I can't recommend Kate Atkinson enough. I've read Emotionally Weird countless times. Case Histories is incredible, but the sequels have left me a bit bored. Her early stuff is peerless. Hth

Beamur Tue 13-Nov-12 22:00:35

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now