Marian Keyes new book

(19 Posts)
elkiedee Sat 17-Nov-12 10:58:29

I quite enjoyed it, I didn't really like the book about Anna as much. My main gripe with this one is that I didn't like the way Helen's sister Claire has turned out, as Watermelon was my favourite.

Selky Thu 15-Nov-12 20:13:47

I liked it.

Though you have to consider that, as a family, the Walshes haven't had much luck.

colditz Tue 13-Nov-12 10:16:08

Rachel's holiday was an absolute masterpiece, and I don't think Ms Keyes will ever be able to do that again. It was just too special to replicate. The way the scales fall from your eyes as they fall from Rachel's is so clever and so subtle.

I am looking forward to reading the book abut Helen, as I've read the first chapter and enjoyed it thoroughly, as I do all the books about the Walsh women.

I actually really enjoyed the one abut Anna's grief, it was very touching.

CelstialNavigation Tue 13-Nov-12 10:10:45

I hadn't realised there was a book about Helen - she was the more rebellious younger one who still lived at home in Angels and Rachel's Holiday? Anna was the less memorable other younger sister?

Rachel's Holiday was so cleverly written - the way that you gradually realise, along with Rachel, how much of a problem she actually has.

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Tue 13-Nov-12 09:39:23

I might read them all again too actually. The 90s is a long time ago sad

MadameCoco Mon 12-Nov-12 21:58:48

I have been a huge fan of Marian Keyes since the mid 90s and have read and loved all of her books. I have recently finished The Mystery of Mercy Close and loved it.
I was worried that Marian was losing her touch a little because I was very disappointed by The Brightest Star in the Sky, but TMOMC has reaffirmed my faith in her. So much so that I have decided to re-vist all the Walsh family books. I am now almost finished Watermelon again and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I have in the past maybe because I'n nearly 20 years older than when I first read it
Agreed that Rachel's Holiday is far and away the best, but many of her other books are fab too, especially Last Chance Saloon and The Other Side of the Story.

Fairyloo Sun 04-Nov-12 20:04:51

That's true about Helen's mind so maybe a bit faster paced but I just can believe it or feel it.

Maybe u need to start from the start again

Agree about earlier ones, watermelon and Rachel's holiday. Also loved sushi for beginners and last chance saloon.

I thought there would be so much more from Helen Walsh though!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sun 04-Nov-12 13:01:07

Reading it at the moment. It's not as well written as her other books IMO. Not sure the first 3 chapters would have got past a publisher's slush pile if she wasn't a known. Feels like she couldnt really be arsed with it.

FarelyKnuts Australia Sun 04-Nov-12 12:05:37

I enjoyed it but nowhere near as much as Rachels Holiday etc.
I did find her descriptions of depression very well written though.

out2lunch Sun 04-Nov-12 11:31:26

i think unfortunately her latter books have not been as great as the old favourites - i think i will put this one on my xmas list

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 04-Nov-12 11:27:32

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I had been looking forward to it. My dh has been depressed all year, and then having to read a book about someone being depressed felt a bit grim. The story was much less realistic than the other sisters' as well, I thought. Rachel's Holiday was the first I read, and still my favourite I think.

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Sun 04-Nov-12 11:10:21

I loved it, read it on holiday. The funniest bits were about the craic inspectors

Gigondas Sun 04-Nov-12 11:09:17

I can't get into it and also long term fan. I thought it was just cos I haven't been in a reading mood but seems not just me. I will persist and finish it though.

Cherrypi Sun 04-Nov-12 11:07:02

I felt it got better near the end. I think the writing style reflected Helen's state of mind. My favourite is Rachel's holiday.

Fairyloo Sat 03-Nov-12 21:46:31

I just find it so hard to believe Wayne from laddz and private detective stuff

witchwithallthetrimmings Sat 03-Nov-12 21:44:35

Keep going its ace but very hard, I have sort of grown up with Marian and her books and knowing that she is speaking about her own depression makes me really sad

Moodykat Sat 03-Nov-12 21:40:39

Is this the private detective one? If so, I loved it!

mellowcat Sat 03-Nov-12 21:39:41

I quite liked it but had to give it back to the library before I finished it,, must go and buy a copy asap! Still love Rachel's Holiday and Is anybody out there the best.

I thought she might be setting up future books by introducing some of Helen's nieces and her potential stepchildren...I do hope so.

Fairyloo Sat 03-Nov-12 21:35:35

Hi all,

The new one about Helen Walsh?

I just can't get into it atall, it seems a bit fast paced.

Devastated as was so excited about this book!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now