Faro's Daughter - Georgette Heyer book club no. 12

(35 Posts)
LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 02-Nov-12 23:01:45

In which many deeply improbable events occur: a very rich and unattractive man turns out to be our hero complete with kind heart; a feisty young women involved in running a gambling den eventually collapses in tears and realises all she wants is a man's strong arms around her; same feisty young woman spends whole novel declaring she hates the man only she doesn't really; same woman again persuades gently born girl whom she has never previously met to run away from home; very rich man is kidnapped, manages to escape and this apparently makes him fall in love with his captor.

It's all just so unlikely it becomes irritating. Max's transformation I can just about live with although I do not think he would have forgiven Deb the kidnapping but Deb drives me wild. It is not possible to think you hate someone, find them loathsome, then actually realise you're in love. It doesn't work that way and I don't care if it's a literary device widely used it is very annoying. Whilst we are at it, burning through a rope tied round your wrists, I doubt it, with a candle?? As for the rest, Adrian is wet, Phoebe is worse, is she the most irritating girl so far? I think so! Lucius is a plot device with a cod Irish accent and so unlikely. The only one I have time for is Lady Bellingham who is funny.

Oh, and the worst bit, the bit that nearly made me through it across the room . . . When Adrian says something about Deb not needing a man to protect her and she thinks sadly about how wrong he is - aaargh! She's as wet as Phoebe really.

So, am I wrong? What do others think?

He looks like a Dwarf with his big head and beard (warming to this look, as it happens, <eyes DH doubtfully> ) but has POINTY HOBBIT EARS in that ^North & South photo.

Let's have Friday's Child soon - I'm starting ASAP. Can't wait!

Ooh thanks LadyD that is indeed much better.

<use as: wallpaper: ok>

As you were.

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Nov-12 13:35:24

Horatia, this one's pretty good too, if you mentally replace the trousers with buff pantaloons or riding breeches....

And this one can be your GH hero of choice. He's Alverstoke, for me.

DilysPrice Tue 20-Nov-12 20:59:31

When can we start Friday's Child? I have come to a staggering (for me, other people will not be fascinated) realisation and wish to share ASAP.

Read faster Horatia!

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Nov-12 21:06:12

Go for it Dilys, people tend to contribute as and when thy can and I'm sure most people remember enough to know what you are talking about.

I'm intrigued as to your realisation....

DilysPrice Tue 20-Nov-12 21:37:47

It's quite blush-making actually.

I'll compose my thoughts and put the thread up tomorrow.

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Nov-12 21:39:34

I have absolutely NO idea what this realisation could possibly be.

Can we guess?

Is it to do with the characters?

Have started now. Know it so well it will only take a couple of hours.

Might hide in the bathroom after s night feed to get a couple of chapters done, if they're good'uns.

Also waiting patiently for Dilys' revelations. Please post linky on this thread as I'll be hopelessly late/absent otherwise blush

DilysPrice Wed 21-Nov-12 16:56:26

Here you go.

Please don't shun me forever blush.

Yay! Have had somewhat shitty 24h nowhere near a book (DH largely to blame) so will mark place and come back.

This is a really good week for me to read a book I love to bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now