A discovery of witches by Deborah Harknes

(13 Posts)
mrmump Thu 01-Nov-12 20:21:04

Just got this from library, before I start, your opinions on it? is it worth a read?

I found it surprisingly enjoyable! Took a while to get into it but was disappointed when it finished. It's only the bad Amazon reviews that have stoppd me buying #2, but I plan to hunt it down at the library.

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 01-Nov-12 20:26:12

It annoyed me. The language was clunky and didn't fit in with the age or circumstances of the characters.

NicknameTaken Fri 02-Nov-12 16:05:02

I wanted to like it but wasn't impressed. Rather like Twilight, but it's more excusable for a teenage girl to have a crush on a dangerous and controlling man than it is for the heroine in this book, who is older and supposedly very intelligent.

I'm not sure if I liked it or not but by the end of it I really wanted to know what happened next to the characters. I'll probably get number 2, but not in a hurry.

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 07-Nov-12 17:57:24

I downloaded the sample on to my kindle all enthusiastically and couldn't get beyond the second page and I really, really wanted to like it. As beer says, language was really clunky.

LeeCoakley Wed 07-Nov-12 17:58:55

Heroine's weediness and helplessness had me chucking it in about halfway through.

TakeMyEyesButNotTheGoat Wed 07-Nov-12 20:54:04

I read about 1/4 of it then gave up.

All the descriptions of the wine drove me nuts.

I also found it quite boring.

Viviennemary Wed 07-Nov-12 20:57:01

I quite liked it but it didn't really hold my interest and I gave up after a couple of chapters, tried again and gave up again. Something lacking but don't quite know what!

bangersnmash Wed 07-Nov-12 22:43:21

Worst book I've read in a long while . A wimpy heroine who mainly spends her time drinking tea and having baths and a yoga loving vampire [hmm. Utter dross

NicknameTaken Thu 08-Nov-12 10:36:54

I'd forgotten the yoga! It really is ripe for parody.

PurpleGentian Thu 08-Nov-12 10:43:12

I thought it was entertaining, although it did take a while to get into it. Planning on reading the second book, but not until it's out in paperback. Unless I see it at the library first.

expatinscotland Thu 08-Nov-12 10:45:26

It's very good - to prop up a wobbly table or to kill insects.

Complete tosh to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now