Thinking of reading a Phillipa Gregory - recommend one please

(30 Posts)
CandyLoo Tue 30-Oct-12 20:02:10

I've never read a Phillipa Gregory, but hear lots of good things.
Picked one up in a bookshop earlier today, think I'll give one a try - what do you recommend? Thanks

upinthehills Fri 09-Nov-12 18:01:23

Quite enjoyed Earthy Joys too.

But maybe I have no taste in books!

kenanddreary Sun 11-Nov-12 16:08:17

LaQueen - totally agree! I can't decide who is the guilty party either. The mini-series definitely portrayed the MIL as the nasty character but in the book it isn't quite as straightforward. Loved it!

LaQueen Sun 11-Nov-12 16:14:08

Ken yes, I thought that. Is it the Mother's fault that she clearly adores her DS, and is an excellent cook, and a highly organised house-wife, who smoothly takes everything in her stride - and manages to make her home beautifully presented, and welcoming at all times - and still manages to help out at church and various charities?

I sometimes feel the Wife is just whiney, and incompetent and is just jealous of her MIL.

In the book it's clear the Wife can't cope very well - and her MIL clearly can cope very well indeed, and is just offering to help her. And, at one point the Wife really does leave her baby in potential danger, because all she wants to do is go to bed and sleep.

ImperialStateKnickers Sun 11-Nov-12 16:17:34

Good to see that I'll not the only person who feels a bit meh about the last few Phillippa Gregory historicals.

LaQueen Mon 12-Nov-12 08:40:27

Imperial her last few have been very diluted, I feel? They just don't have the depth or richness of her earlier ones.

I get the impression that after the success of TOBG movie, and the rise and rise of historially-based fiction, her publishers insisted she churned out a new book every year, and she's had to rush them - and it shows sad

I've just re-read The Lady of the Rivers, and I'm let feeling a bit meh - I was hoping that second time around I'd discover more texture and detail, but I haven't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now