If you had to recommend just one 'classic'

(130 Posts)
berri Sat 13-Oct-12 03:22:02

What would it be?

Going on holiday soon and I want to try something different - it'll be my last chance to get stuck into a book before the arrival of DC2 and I'm aware I haven't read any of the classics....what would you recommend if you had to choose one? Or maybe two, wishful thinking that I'll have time ;)

dolcelatte Sat 17-Nov-12 03:43:46

Yes to Austen, Brontes, Hardy, Fitzgerald and others already mentioned.

i also think Animal Farm is well worth a read (and much shorter than 1984).

If you are looking for a modern classic, Kite Runner is wonderful.

LapinDeBois Mon 12-Nov-12 22:34:01

Gah, I thought I might be the first to say that Persuasion is the best Austen, but others beat me to it.

Instead, I will throw another couple of more modern 'should be classics' into the mix: The Raj Quartet and the English Patient. Both wonderful, wonderful books.

wiganwagonwheelworks Fri 09-Nov-12 18:08:06

The Moonstone, though I'm sure someone's said it already. Brilliant.

porridgewithalmondmilk Fri 02-Nov-12 09:22:41

Another vote for Wuthering Heights here.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 02-Nov-12 07:05:37

Pride and Prejudice smile.

MegBusset Thu 01-Nov-12 22:08:38

If I can name more I would say:
Breakfast At Tiffany's
Wuthering Heights
Three Men In A Boat
The Great Gatsby
A Confederacy Of Dunces

I loathed Jane Eyre.

MegBusset Thu 01-Nov-12 22:06:45

If I had to name one, it would be Catch-22.

iklboo Thu 01-Nov-12 21:56:07

Another To Kill A Mockingbird fan. Hated it when we read it at school because we had to share books & I was with a much slower reader. My English teacher gave me my own copy as a leaving present. I reluctantly gave it another go & fell in love with it. I cry every time I read it.

juneybean Thu 01-Nov-12 21:52:04

The Picture of Dorian Gray

mixedmamameansbusiness Wed 31-Oct-12 14:06:59

I would like to point out that the thread title is 'one' classic.... we can't do it can we. We have all reeled them off. There are just too many.

I <<heart>> Classics.

bimblebee Tue 30-Oct-12 17:51:02

Anything by Thomas Hardy.
Also The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
And personally I loved Alice in Wonderland (still do)!

lucyellenmum Mon 29-Oct-12 22:09:53

Loved REbecca and Jamaica inn - jamaica inn was quite heavy though.

I really REALLY liked crime and punishment but dostoyesky - I was a bit intimidated by it at first but it was AMAZING!!! So easy to read.

Have woman in white on my kindle, i was reading this, very good - dropped it in the bath (the book, not my kindle!!!)

So many good books on here. I do need to re-read wuthering heights soon...., and Madame B!!! After I've caught up on book club!

DuchessofMalfi Mon 29-Oct-12 14:10:12

aubergines - don't get me started on Jane Eyre grin That novel annoys me too. Why would you want to marry a man who kept his wife imprisoned in the attic? Even taking into account the Victorian's approach to mental health issues that was still, in my mind, an act of extreme cruelty. Did she "go mad" because she was locked up, or was she locked up because she was unwell? We'll never know the answer to that one. If it was the first, then Jane beware!

If I had to recommend just one it would be To Kill a Mockingbird - a book I reread on a regular basis. Anyone who did it at school and didn't like it should try it again, it gains more reading it from a parents perspective too. I am currently reading it to my eldest DC, its gorgeous to read aloud the language is just beautiful.

But I also love Thomas Hardy, particularly Tess and Jude the Obscure (both a bit depressing but so lovely). Austen - Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice.

Jane Eyre just annoys me, I want to slap her! But I did love Wuthering Heights.

Have got some good recommendations myself from this thread, have always struggled with Dickens but think I will give him another go, and maybe try some Trollope.

cumfy Mon 22-Oct-12 15:49:41

Or Crime and Punishment

cumfy Mon 22-Oct-12 15:48:39

Moby Dick

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 22-Oct-12 13:30:12

Wuthering Heights and Persuasion for me, so beautiful.

I have so many of these on my shelf waiting to be read, I pick them up on random book stalls etc whenever I see a classic because I know I will eventually read them.

Also, reading To Kill a Mockingbird made me love it rather than put me off. It is an absolutely superb book.

outtolunchagain Fri 19-Oct-12 22:57:55

Portrait of a Lady

leddeeburdee Fri 19-Oct-12 22:46:12

A Room with a View and the French Lieutenant's Woman are favourites of mine.

PoppadomPreach Fri 19-Oct-12 22:39:03

YY to Anna Karenina

I'll throw Sunset Song by Lewis grassic gibbon into the mix too.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 19-Oct-12 22:38:14

The Age of Reason by John-Paul Sartre,or
Down and out in Paris and London by George Orwell (I agree Funnys )

KarenHL Fri 19-Oct-12 22:34:42

In order, my current top three 'classics'

Dickens - David Copperfield
Hardy - Mayor of Casterbridge
LM Alcott - Work

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 19-Oct-12 22:32:25

also Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell is better than 1984 I think

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 19-Oct-12 22:30:11

Rose Tremain - The Colour. Thrilling IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now