If you had to recommend just one 'classic'

(130 Posts)
berri Sat 13-Oct-12 03:22:02

What would it be?

Going on holiday soon and I want to try something different - it'll be my last chance to get stuck into a book before the arrival of DC2 and I'm aware I haven't read any of the classics....what would you recommend if you had to choose one? Or maybe two, wishful thinking that I'll have time ;)

LittleBoxes Sat 13-Oct-12 15:40:09

Jane Eyre or Vanity Fair. Or Tess of the D'Urbervilles if you're feeling a bit doomy.

RoxyRobin Sat 13-Oct-12 15:40:58

Barchester Towers. I never fancied Trollope when I was younger but now realise what I've been missing all these years. Mrs Proudie is my role-model!

hk78 Sat 13-Oct-12 15:41:54

It has to be To Kill a Mockingbird.

Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell

evilgiraffe Sat 13-Oct-12 15:44:31

baskingseals - that is my plan! grin I've not read Anna Karenina, but it's been on my list for a long time.

andrewcowley23 Sat 13-Oct-12 15:47:32

Les Miserables for certain. I read this in the Summer. Felt I owed it to Victor Hugo after my year 6 performed a truncated version of the musical as their leavers assembly. For a 150 year old book it is remarkably fresh, funny, and full of social commentary, with many more narrative twists than the musical has. Much darker in many ways too. I wonder if the film will generate more sales.

MaryZed Sat 13-Oct-12 15:48:46

I'm marking my place here and making a list. I'm also interested in how old a book has to be before it is a classic? I love A Town Like Alice and have read a fair few other Neville Shute, which I love. I've also read people like Anya Seton, and enjoyed them.

Whereas many of my "school" classics (Dickens, Three Men in a Boat, Waiting for Fecking Godot, To Kill a Mockingbird) have left me very cold.

Are these all free on Kindle? I have just acquired a Kindle, so will be attempting this as soon as I acquire the corresponding cable and charger.

GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 15:48:53

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

lunchbox Sat 13-Oct-12 15:56:55

To kill a mockingbird
Catcher in the rye
The secret history ( not sure if this is considered a classic, but it should be wink )

Yama Sat 13-Oct-12 15:58:39

Lots of great suggestions here.

I would recommend Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 13-Oct-12 15:59:47

The Grapes of Wrath. It's great.

Startailoforangeandgold Sat 13-Oct-12 16:03:19

Lord of the Flies to Light your fire with, or use as toilet paper.

It is a truly vile book.

Anna Karenina is sublime.

I may re-read anyway, as there is NO WAY I am going to see the film. A veritable piece of wood playing Anna simply makes me want to weep. Muchly.

evilgiraffe Sat 13-Oct-12 16:34:17

Startail, no! Lord of the Flies is vile how?! It's an ominous commentary on civilisation, and how easily it breaks down. If it's vile, it's only in how terrifyingly accurate it is. I can understand if you're a bit squeamish, but that doesn't make it vile.

GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 16:41:44

Not a Classic yet but what about " Chocolat" by Joanne Harris

GreySquirrel Sat 13-Oct-12 16:55:29

Jude the Obscure, Our Mutual Friend, Little Dorrit, Woman in White, Adam Bede, Middlemarch or Emma defintely some of my favourites, also Mill on the Floss

mum47 Sat 13-Oct-12 16:56:36

Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse is genius.

berri Sat 13-Oct-12 17:16:19

lunchbox I loved A Secret History smile

I read To Kill A Mockingbird at school which kind of puts me off, but maybe I could revisit it.

nkf Sat 13-Oct-12 17:18:11

Not sure I'd call A Secret History a classic. Some excellent books in this list.

birdsofshoreandsea Sat 13-Oct-12 17:20:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Handsfulloffun Sat 13-Oct-12 17:22:01

Another vote for Rebecca and Jane Eyre.

Yes lots of freebies for your kindle

Victor Hugo Les Miserables is unputdownable.

SandStorm Sat 13-Oct-12 17:26:07

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

It's a wonderful book but be warned - it's also the saddest book I have ever read. If you do read it, make sure you read the end somewhere private.

Inneedofbrandy Sat 13-Oct-12 17:30:12

YY to Rebecca and Woman in white.

Bilbobagginstummy Sat 13-Oct-12 17:32:36

Alice in Wonderland and the sequel, Through the Looking Glass.

So imaginative & delightful - it would be a shame to never read these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now