Sharon Penman - who else?

(6 Posts)
iismum Sat 20-Oct-12 09:10:07

Third Dorothy Dunnett - absolutely amazing. But her books require a bit more thought and investment than the easy-reading-bodice-ripping genre of historical fiction - it depends what you're after.

SoniaGluck Sat 13-Oct-12 18:48:07

Have you tried any Rosemary Hawley Jarman, here. It is years since I read anything by her, but her novels were highly thought of at one time. They may seem a bit flowery and dated these days.

Also, Anne Easter Smith here has been recommended to me but I haven't read any yet.

Second Dorothy Dunnett, her books are amazing.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 12-Oct-12 13:43:48

Dorothy Dunnett - she wrote two masterful series, the Lymond Chronicles and the House of Nicolo which consist of 6 books and 8 respectively as well as King Hereafter which is a retelling of the Macbeth story. Once you've read her though, she will spoil you as far as all other historical novelists are concerned because she's in a class of her own.

Smoothingiron Thu 11-Oct-12 16:01:42

Try Diana Gabaldon. Great fiction with a twist. Or Ken Follett. Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are brilliant. Finally from me the Matthew Shardlake series by C J Sansom are great historical crime fiction. Like you I love Sharon Penman so I hope you find these as enjoyable.

Vagaceratops Thu 11-Oct-12 07:16:31

I love Medieval historical fiction and have read a lot of Phillipa Gregory (Some good, some bad) and Alison Weir (The same).

I am loving Sharon Penman. She is in a totally different class and her books are fantastic. Is there anyone else of similar brilliance I can move onto once I have read all of hers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now