Elly Griffiths - my new favourite crime writer

(14 Posts)
BurlingtonBertieFromBow Sat 06-Oct-12 21:03:10

Has anyone else read her books? I've just finished The Janus Stone. Think there are about 4 or 5 books altogether. The protagonist, Ruth Galloway, is a forensic archaeologist, which is great for me because I love history. Somewhat implausibly, she always gets tangled up with a murder investigation when she's called to date bones that are found. I was getting really fed up with detective novels where police politics forms too much of the plot so really like the fact that
Ruth isn't too tangled up with that (although there is a policeman that she works with in every book)

The only one I haven't read is A Room Full of Bones - I'm saving it up for when I've got time for a good read.

KurriKurri Sun 07-Oct-12 13:33:43

She sounds right up my street Bertie, thanks for the recommendation, I'll give her a go smile

Oo ta! Off to look on Amazon.... grin

KurriKurri Sun 07-Oct-12 13:39:03

I've checked on Amazon - and it looks as if some of her books are set in my part of the country - very excited now, love books that are in places I know smile

efeslight Sun 07-Oct-12 21:45:06

yes, really enjoyed her books, haven't yet read the janus stone, i like the bleak landscape of norfolk and the isolation...reminds me of some p d james

Yes, Yes, Love them!! Have read the first two (The Crossing Places and The Janus Stone) and am eagerly searching our local libraries for the others.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 21:52:18

Looks good, just ordered her first one for under £2 on the kindle. Thanks.

Cherrypi Sun 07-Oct-12 22:21:15

I'm halfway through the second one. Love that she listens to radio 4.

GeorginaWorsley Mon 08-Oct-12 19:20:18

Enjoyed the first few,didn't ;
like the most recent at all.

Hudsy Tue 09-Oct-12 15:27:49

If you like crime novels you might like my own one - the lead protagonist is a foster carer so it's a crime novel with a bit of a difference. Its called Lessons in the Dark by Melissa Hudson.
Thanks!
Melissa

Clawdy Tue 09-Oct-12 20:00:32

I loved the Ruth Galloway books at first,but then got tired of the inevitable "exciting" chase scene with Ruth in danger at the end of each book. Pity.

Clawdy Tue 09-Oct-12 20:03:41

Incidentally,I hope these threads are not going to become plugs for writers' own novels. It's bad enough on Amazon's review pages,please don't start it here,Hudsy

Myliferocks Tue 09-Oct-12 20:05:14

I've read all of the Ruth Galloway books. I was so looking forward to the latest one that I downloaded it onto my Kindle before it came down in price.
I was sorely disappointed with it. It didn't seem as good as the earlier ones.

BurlingtonBertieFromBow Tue 09-Oct-12 21:26:44

Oh no. Am disappointed that the latest one is not as good.

Prob going to read it anyway though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now