Do you catalogue your books?

(15 Posts)
TimothyTumblespring Sat 29-Sep-12 20:43:45

I read quite prolifically, not as much as I did pre-DS, but I still manage a couple of books per month on average.
I have been using the Librarything website to catalogue, review and group my books together for the last couple of years and I LOVE it. I love going on the site and looking through what I've read, what I've liked and what I've struggled with.
My MIL uses a lovely notebook to write up what she has read. I tried this but kept forgetting to fill it in. Now though, going onto Librarything and updating what I've finished and what I'm starting has become part of my reading routine.
Does anyone else do this? Or am I alone here revelling in the ordered, geekiness of my existence?

DuchessofMalfi Sat 29-Sep-12 21:45:08

I use Goodreads rather than Librarything, but same principle. So, no you're not alone smile.

elkiedee Sat 29-Sep-12 22:41:13

I use both, and have read 25+ books a month since the beginning of 2010 (it was a lot less in 2009 when DS2 was born). I also buy a lot, and find Librarything really helps me to keep track of what I've bought, though I still don't have all my books on it. TT, if you can find me on LT do come and let me know who you are there (I have the same username here as there - try searching Tales of a Midwife and you should find me quite easily as only a few people have it).

TimothyTumblespring Sun 30-Sep-12 08:18:18

Hi Elkiedee. I have added you on LT. You certainly read a LOT of books. How do you find the time? I am going to enjoy looking through the list of books I should "borrow" from your library. smile

ninjanurse Sun 30-Sep-12 10:05:16

I use Goodreads to record all my books. I love it! I review them all and like getting the recommendations. Ive read loads of books I wouldnt normally have read thanks to Goodreads. There is a Mumsnet group on there as well, if anyone is interested.

TimothyTumblespring Sun 30-Sep-12 12:51:27

I think I will check out Goodreads too. At this rate I'll be spending more time cataloging my books than actually reading them!

chirpchirp Sun 30-Sep-12 13:50:43

What a good idea! Can't believe I'd never considered it.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 30-Sep-12 18:32:31

Link to the Mumsnet Unofficial Group on Goodreads, for anyone who is interested smile

lisa1968 Sun 30-Sep-12 20:02:37

I've got a gorgeous handmade notebook that I write books in that I've read every year-up to 39 so far this year-and lists of books that I want to read.OH thinks I'm wierd but I love my books!!
Have never heard of Librarything but will defo look at it!

evilgiraffe Sat 13-Oct-12 07:46:27

I don't review or make lists of books I've read, but my books are catalogued. All my books were boxed a year or so ago when we dismantled much of the house for redecorating, so I made a list while I did it. I now have a record of title, author, ISBN, cover price, publisher, and publication date for each book. It's quite fascinating really! Of course I've got several more books since then which have not yet made it on to the list, but they will eventually. It may be useful one day if we suffer a house fire or flood or some other calamity - good for insurers, perhaps. It's nice to be able to look through and see which is my oldest book, and which authors I have the most books from.

Obsessively. Used to be a spiral notebook (20 years old this year!) but now I am a good reads fan! Not heard of the library one.... May have to look wink and reobsess a bit more!

Right, you Librarything.com lot - I couldn't help myself, had to take a look, and all I wanted to do was import my Amazon wishlist to instantly populate my "want to read" list and i can't make it work!!!! I followed the advice about using the correct link to my wishlist, ie. the link the public see, not the link as me logged in, but still nothing. Just says "no books on file". sad.

Any tips please? TIA. xx

MrsMellowDrummer Sun 14-Oct-12 22:43:10

Sorry, can't help with the amazon query, but I'm a librarythinger! I'm very very anal about cataloging my books, it's a brilliant site. I also use it to keep records for our book club. I've kept a list of every book I've ever read, since my English teacher suggested the idea back in about oooooooh, 1987! Pre the Internet, I also had a pretty notebook...

I'm mellowyellow over there, if anybody wants to come find me!

NicknameTaken Mon 15-Oct-12 12:47:03

I'm old school - I have a notebook. Just passed the 500-book mark (since early 2009, so about 10 books per month. I don't get out much).

NicknameTaken Wed 17-Oct-12 10:45:33

Since 2008, I mean. Reading skills better than arithmetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now