how come nobody has bought Rowling's new book?

(112 Posts)

went into town at 4pm after work, thinking 'shame, they'll all be gone' only to find that every shop had them discounted - a tenner in Waterstones! HMV had piles of them and I gave in and bought one in Tescos for £9 - what happened there then?

BigWhoop Thu 27-Sep-12 23:13:19

Sorry - extra full stop added itself, and I meant 'are' rather than 'ate'.

AppleCrumbleAndFish Thu 27-Sep-12 23:14:10

Again, you must be exhausted with all that research.

Jesus LeMarchand, bitchy and snobbish much? I won't be buying the book but will probably get it off my sister when she's finished it. I liked Harry Potter, I also liked DWJ. Each to their own I suppose.

livealoha Thu 27-Sep-12 23:16:50

No Coco, the films were a hit because the books were so popular
<blows raspberrys at all you HP haters>

cocolepew Thu 27-Sep-12 23:18:11

No, I'm right grin

LemarchandsBox Thu 27-Sep-12 23:18:21

It's got a lot of appeal to children because it was marketed to the hilt and then franchised into a series of films.
Nothing to do with the writing.

HP series does a huge disservice to children's literature.
It illustrates the point at which marketing took over the genre and trampled lucratively over the graves of those who came before.

Hmmm I'll disagree with you on the film thing Coco, but wholeheartedly agree with you on the Mr. Men books. What a pile of wank they are, luckily DS is too young to realise that I'm making them up as I read them to himsmile

LemarchandsBox Thu 27-Sep-12 23:21:54

Freddie - I care when children are served warmed-over shite as entertainment.

If that makes me 'bitchy and snobbish' in your eyes then I can live with that.

imperialstateknickers Thu 27-Sep-12 23:29:37

The first three HP books were excellent, I demolished them and couldn't wait for ddtwins to be old enough to enjoy them. The Goblet of Fire was unreadable. I mean that.... I tried three times and couldn't get past page 100. Turgid, uninterested in characters - it was like trying to get through Women In Love (when it was a set text) all over again. YY to whoever said she needed serious editing, me and our local vicar (!) agreed this one about five years ago.

That's fine, each to their own. I just think it was unnesscessary to make assumptions and be condescending to another poster on the basis of that.

Corygal Thu 27-Sep-12 23:40:02

Anticipating an irresistible read in the vein of Harry-heroin, I snatched my copy at 5pm from the panting Amazon man as he came up the path. I am now on Mumsnet.

That is my review.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 27-Sep-12 23:55:22

Whoever buys hardbacks - even 'discounted' to £9? I've not even read a review of JKs latest, but if I do get it, it'll be a paperback and probably not till they're discounted too.

I don't even buy Pratchett in hardback, though waiting for the paperback to come out later bugs me a bit.

Grimma - reviews weren't allowed! Thats why I was so surprised to see piles of the things left; completely different to all the mania over harry potter books, and yet quite a lot of hype around it.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 28-Sep-12 11:22:34

Reviews weren't allowed? confused do you mean prior to public release there were none? (presumably there's no way to prevent review now). How extremely silly of JK and/or her publishers. Even fewer people will shell out for a hardback of an unreviewed book.

Thanks Freddie smile

MooncupGoddess Fri 28-Sep-12 13:25:10

It's all about the hype, Grimma. Reviewers were biked their copies on Wednesday and then had to file reviews for the Thursday newspapers to tie in with publication and release date.

To be fair to JK Rowling, from the reviews I've read, the new book, while not a masterpiece, sounds considerably better than one might expect from the rather pedestrian (albeit with a few flashes of genius) HP series. And I admire her for doing something totally different that will alienate wizard-lovers.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 28-Sep-12 13:54:59

It's got to be price that's putting people off. It's £10 in Asda - I could get 10 kindle daily deals for that price wink.

I had a flick through a copy this morning and, whilst I was there, two other people picked up copies. One person put it back after flicking through (like I did) and the other put their copy in their trolley, took it for a short walk and then brought it back (second thoughts presumably) grin

NicknameTaken Fri 28-Sep-12 14:33:58

I've reserved a copy at the library. Could be a while before it's my turn.

I would strongly defend the HP books, and not because of the films. The prose is functional (nothing wrong with that), the plotting and the creativity are strong. I think the series peaked at Prisoner of Azkhaban, but I still found the rest compulsive reading (although I haven't felt a strong desire to re-read).

DuchessofMalfi Fri 28-Sep-12 14:39:25

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 72 people ahead of me on the waiting list at the library are fast readers grin.

I read and liked the Harry Potter series and am looking forward to my DC being old enough to read them (DD's nearly there).

I'm curious to know whether she really can write for adults. Looking forward to reading it, eventually.

donburi Fri 28-Sep-12 17:57:26

I would read it - if it came as a newspaper collect-coupons freebie. 'I'm still Jo from the block". I think Liz Jones may like it?

No problems Suzysmile

MissWooWoo Fri 28-Sep-12 19:10:25

there must be someone on mumsnet who's read it, cone on! what's it like?

never read a HP and not likely to read this new one either I'm just being nosey

I shall start it tonight and update...

newpup Fri 28-Sep-12 20:01:08

Ordered it and waiting for it to arrive. I read the first two HP books and thought they were fun and quite good but not amazing. I bought the new book because the idea sounded interesting and I wanted to see how her 'adult' fiction is.

sieglinde Sat 29-Sep-12 08:08:16

I read the free Kindle sample of TCV and will not be reading on. The writing is absolutely awful. If possible, worse than 50 Shades. Clunky, pretentious and barely grammatical.

Like many here, I loved the first 3 HPs, but from then on I fell out of love because the writing declined, or the editors didn't dare to do their jobs. Good luck to all who enjoy the new book; chacun a son gout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now