What is the best book you've read this year?

(65 Posts)
Stokey Tue 18-Sep-12 13:31:12

Am about to go on holiday and would like some recommendations.
I have read quite a lot this year with maternity leave and a new kindle, although have fallen into the kindle trap of buying cheap books and then feeling slightly dirty after reading them!
Books I've read and enjoyed this year include State of Wonder, Me before You, Before I go to Sleep, the William Nicholson trilogy, Perfect People, The White Lie.
Loads of 99p Kindle books that are a bit meh, quite good for when I was extremely sleep deprived, but not what I am after now that I get a reasonable night's sleep.
Anyway tell me what have you enjoyed please, thanks.

rabbitonthemoon Mon 01-Oct-12 19:49:28

The language of flowers is currently my book of the year.

sieglinde Tue 02-Oct-12 12:08:46

Life and Fate, by Vassily Grossman
or on a lighter note, am loving At the Mouth of the River of Bees, by Kij Johnson.

Jusfloatingby Tue 02-Oct-12 16:04:01

Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klausmann

janx Tue 02-Oct-12 22:19:23

Kite runner

CoteDAzur Wed 03-Oct-12 21:10:34

mixedmama - Do you read Elif Safak in English?

gokhuvegeta Thu 04-Oct-12 15:42:49

The darkness in the shadows, m.l. briers, it's the last one i've read and it kept me up all night, the little voice made me lol. I'm in two minds about Grave Witch has anyone read it?

BonnyDay Thu 04-Oct-12 15:50:47

christ not the tigers book

submisison was good
also LOVED LOVED LOVED the bernadette book

ContinentalKat Thu 04-Oct-12 16:09:47

I really liked the new John Irving, In one person. Also enjoyed The help as a good holiday read.

hoodoo12345 Thu 04-Oct-12 16:42:52

Karin Slaughter-Criminal.

BobbiThePanda Thu 04-Oct-12 23:27:52

So far this year, The End of Everything by Megan Abbott.

ArcticRoll Fri 05-Oct-12 10:53:55

My Policeman-Bethan Roberts, poignant story .

ginmakesitallok Fri 05-Oct-12 10:56:36

I just finished Bonfire of the vanities by Tom Wolfe - first book in ages that I've been sad to get to the end - it was fab. Just reminded me I need to go get another book today or I'll be forced to read some of DPs Murakami stuff!

elkiedee Wed 10-Oct-12 22:28:30

I looked up my reading for the year and was rather taken aback to find that while I'd only rated one book 5 * more than a third of my reading was 4.5*. That said, some of those books were more brilliant than others.

My best book of the year by that measure was Leslie T Chang, Factory Girls - the author is Chinese-American and spent some time living in China interviewing young women working in the factories there about their lives.

Of the others, I especially liked

P A Reilly, The Fine Colour of Rust - a single mother in a small Australian town tries to fight greedy developers

Kate Grenville's Secret River trilogy (also Australian, though that's a coincidence)

Sita Brahmachari, Artichoke Hearts - older children's/YA novel - a few months in the life of a 12 year old whose beloved grandmother is moving into a hospice and preparing for death from cancer - funny and sad and lovely

Marina Lewycka, Various Pets Alive and Dead

John Harvey, Good Bait (crime novel) and A Darker Shade of Blue (short stories)

Cathi Unsworth, Weirdo

Tan Twan Eng, The Garden of Evening Mists

Jhumpa Lahiri, The Namesake

Elizabeth Taylor, At Mrs Lippincotes, Palladian (and others) - am reading all her work this year - she was a 20th century novelist, not THAT Elizabeth Taylor

CoteDAzur Wed 10-Oct-12 22:45:06

By that same criterion, my 5*s of 2012 so far are:

Heart Of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
This Thing Of Darkness - Harry Thompson
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
Ender's Game - Scott Orson Card
Freakonomics - Steven Levitt
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami

How do you all understand the * system? I take it to mean:
1* = I hated it
2*s = I didn't like it
3*s = It was OK
4*s = I liked it
5*s = I loved it

But I hear that some people think of it as:
1* = rubbish book
5* = perfect book

jellybrain Wed 10-Oct-12 23:05:14

I loved the Night Circus. Have a kindle copy but plan to buy a print copy as its one i will treasure.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now