What is the best book you've read this year?

(65 Posts)
Stokey Tue 18-Sep-12 13:31:12

Am about to go on holiday and would like some recommendations.
I have read quite a lot this year with maternity leave and a new kindle, although have fallen into the kindle trap of buying cheap books and then feeling slightly dirty after reading them!
Books I've read and enjoyed this year include State of Wonder, Me before You, Before I go to Sleep, the William Nicholson trilogy, Perfect People, The White Lie.
Loads of 99p Kindle books that are a bit meh, quite good for when I was extremely sleep deprived, but not what I am after now that I get a reasonable night's sleep.
Anyway tell me what have you enjoyed please, thanks.

DancehallDaze Fri 21-Sep-12 13:52:17

I have been reading Mark Billingham in order. The first three were compulsive reading. Just finished the fourth which I found not so engaging, which seems to be backed up by other reviews. Am about to start the fifth which sounds more promising.

Makingmama Sat 22-Sep-12 16:46:13

Snow Child, beautiful!

LizzieVerekerGold Sat 22-Sep-12 16:56:41

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce - read it in one sitting, and Rivers of London. Have lovely hols!

Peeenut Sun 23-Sep-12 10:47:20

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I read it in one day on holiday.

I also loved A Monster Calls, it's a children's book but excellent. I was sitting by the pool trying not to cry.

tumbletumble Sun 23-Sep-12 20:55:51

This year I have enjoyed Room and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

BonnyDay Mon 24-Sep-12 20:41:33

bernadette
100 year old man
gone girl
submission

Stokey Mon 24-Sep-12 21:17:55

Have downloaded Gone Girl and Harold Fry, have read a few of the others The Help, Kevin, Incredibly Loud. Thanks for help Mumnetters, off tomorrow hoping the rain holds off.

Stokey Mon 24-Sep-12 21:21:04

Oh and just bought the first Mark Billingham, must put the kindle down now, too much temptation!

Game of Thrones was brilliant smile

NellyBluth Mon 24-Sep-12 21:32:51

Oh, Mark Billingham is amazing, I just devour those (while happily imagining the luscious David Morrissey as Thorne...)

I've just finished The Night Circus and it was wonderful.

noddyholder Mon 24-Sep-12 21:47:36

Gone girl was great
The Burial is brilliant

NurseRatched Tue 25-Sep-12 20:48:06

My unashamed fave so far this year -though it's relatively 'old': A Confederacy of Dunces - by John Kennedy Toole. Very very funny - though not politically correct in any sense grin

KlarkyKat Tue 25-Sep-12 20:52:43

My Mum gave me East of Eden by John Steinbeck recently and I loved it, best thing i've read for ages and inspired me to read more classics. I'll be pinching a few ideas from this list though...

NurseRatched Tue 25-Sep-12 20:52:55

tumbletumble ['Room'] Emma Donoghue's next book: The Sealed Letter is great too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 26-Sep-12 13:55:53

Think if you liked Me Before You, you might like Life, Death and Vanilla Slices by Jenny Eclair.

Definitely one of my favourites for this year.

This Short Story is good too and it's free which is always a bonus smile.

lighthousekeeping Wed 26-Sep-12 18:20:55

Oh I live this thread. I read the The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox in one day on holiday and I adored it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 27-Sep-12 14:35:32

Song of Achilles is also one of my favourites of this year, and I've just noticed that it's been reduced to a lovely 99p smile.

Toulouse Lautrec biog by Julia somebody.

And The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt.

mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 27-Sep-12 20:47:10

Forty rules of love by Elif Shafak. Cannot wait to read more.

chirpchirp Fri 28-Sep-12 12:11:50

Cold Hands by John Niven. Best crime thriller I've read in a long time.

chocolateshoes Fri 28-Sep-12 12:14:07

Alone in Berlin - brilliant!

milkshake3 Fri 28-Sep-12 12:14:14

People of the Book by Geraldine Brookes. Couldn't put it down!

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Blew me away (second reading and I was still utterly enthralled). W.O.W.

Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies.

the blue melon nibbles the bitter cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now