To all the people devastated about the Tom Cruise, Jack Reacher film.

(101 Posts)
ArtfulAardvark Sun 16-Sep-12 16:37:37

I have to say I was totally DEVASTATED years ago when he was cast as Lestat in Interview with the Vampire...he was too short, didnt look how I imagined, why DID they have to cast a star I just WASNT into as a character I LOVED, I just felt it was WRONG.

When saw the film I thought he was superb in the role to the extent that I felt it dragged when he was not on screen. Stuart Townsend in Queen of the Damned was far more what I had envisaged but nowhere near as hypnotic for me.

I am STILL not a fan but I would give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Oooooooh yes let's all not go and hope the nation (or at least all fans) steer clear too.

It's just shit, he would have been more Reacher if he had kept his shit teeth from The Outsiders and grown another foot and a half of course.

Ooohh how tall is Joachin Phoenix - he's got the ugly pretty thing going on

Sidge Thu 20-Sep-12 21:37:26

It was all a typing error.

Cruise was supposed to be cast as Reacher's toothbrush but someone put a full stop in the wrong place and he ended up being cast as Reacher himself.

Big mistake. Huge.

whatkungfuthat Fri 21-Sep-12 07:40:09

I can see this film getting a royal spanking on the internets when it comes out grin

EasyFromNowOn Fri 21-Sep-12 11:38:48

Indeed, whatkungfu although with any luck the inevitable parodies will be more entertaining than the film.

TuftyFinch Fri 21-Sep-12 11:41:11

TC bought the rights yeearrs ago. He will only cast other actors that are smaller than him.

WhyTheBigGoldPaws Fri 21-Sep-12 11:51:27

My DH is a massive Reacher fan and he's disgusted about this. He's also said Kevin Durand. Am cutting and pasting from this thread to make him laugh at work smile

saffronwblue Fri 21-Sep-12 11:52:00

Another vote for Viggo www.imdb.com/name/nm0001557/here

saffronwblue Fri 21-Sep-12 11:54:37
Pooka Fri 21-Sep-12 11:55:13

www.imdb.com/name/nm0829032/

Ray Stevenson would have been great. Old enough, rugged and TALL!

Lifeisontheup Fri 21-Sep-12 12:01:30

Just watched the trailer and am so disappointed. Not sure who I would have chosen to play JR but never Tom Cruse in a million years. It's just wrong. He does look like he could fight his way out of a paper bag let alone kill someone with his bare hands.

Pooka Fri 21-Sep-12 12:03:08

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/322868

Ray on left.

6'3/4"

Not pretty. But perfect for reacher.

Bloody Tom cruise. Will NOT be watching and haven't bought latest book. Lee child is complete sell out.

Pooka Fri 21-Sep-12 12:03:53
whatkungfuthat Fri 21-Sep-12 12:09:25

I would like to think in a deluded manner that TC bought the rights via his film co. so Child didn't know who was going to be playing him

Ooooh I like that Ray bloke.

Even if TC did only hire actors smaller than him what about cars and buildings etc?

Is he going to build a whole mInature world, have miniature cars built and furniture to make him seem super tall. Miniature TC land, people could visit like Graceland and thwack their heads on all the door frames and drive the mini cars around!

I can't believe LC would think his fans would go for this.

Shows you what people do for money.

CheerfulYank Fri 21-Sep-12 15:37:15

Oh I loved Ray in 'Rome', good choice!

Pooka Fri 21-Sep-12 17:15:52

Love the idea of legoland style mini streets for Tom to run down.

He is so so. So so very wrong for the part. Grrrrrr. angry

I'm also rather keen on ray wink. I always read the books with a picture of him in my head - having watched Rome just before reading some of them (and then rereadi g earliest ones).

bran Fri 21-Sep-12 17:29:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lifeisontheup Fri 21-Sep-12 17:55:02

Be still my beating heart <swoons>. He is gorgeous.

getrealandgetalife Fri 21-Sep-12 18:26:18

BRAN yes you are right!!!!

Angelico Fri 21-Sep-12 21:42:32

Ooooh Bran he's not bad at all!!!

Angelico Fri 21-Sep-12 21:44:00

Ray is good too. I lurrrrrve Viggo but he's too sensitive looking for Reacher.

Pooka Fri 21-Sep-12 21:57:53

I also love Viggo but agree completely that he looks a bit delicate in the face. Phillip Winchester looks good but isnt craggy enough - nearly though. smile

akaemmafrost Sat 22-Sep-12 00:24:44

Watched the trailer. He's too tiny and that's that. Chris Hemsworth would have been food imo.

akaemmafrost Sat 22-Sep-12 00:25:04

Food?! grin good obviously

akaemmafrost Sat 22-Sep-12 00:25:55

A bit young maybe though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now