To all the people devastated about the Tom Cruise, Jack Reacher film.

(101 Posts)
ArtfulAardvark Sun 16-Sep-12 16:37:37

I have to say I was totally DEVASTATED years ago when he was cast as Lestat in Interview with the Vampire...he was too short, didnt look how I imagined, why DID they have to cast a star I just WASNT into as a character I LOVED, I just felt it was WRONG.

When saw the film I thought he was superb in the role to the extent that I felt it dragged when he was not on screen. Stuart Townsend in Queen of the Damned was far more what I had envisaged but nowhere near as hypnotic for me.

I am STILL not a fan but I would give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Kewcumber Sun 16-Sep-12 22:18:07

I'm not sure I can watch it Chaos. Couldn;t we meet up at a pub outside teh premier and get pissed instead?

BIWI Sun 16-Sep-12 22:18:11

Oh no! Chaos. You can't. No matter how loudly you tut.

MikeLitoris Sun 16-Sep-12 22:25:30

Tom Hardy

BobblyOrangeGoldGussets Sun 16-Sep-12 22:35:54

I agree with MadameCasefiore, it should be Daniel Craig or Clive Owen, someone of that ilk.

I see Reacher as a young Harrison Ford or a young Robert Redford: both craggy and blonde enough.

If they'd have gotten casting that role right, they would have had us squirming in our seats at the cinema, hell, we'd be wanking in the aisles!

Narked Sun 16-Sep-12 22:47:35

The character in the books uses his size all the time. He is physically imposing. There's a lot of fighting. It's not the role for a tiny, pixie man.

I can't take Tom Cruise seriously in anything anymore - I haven't been able too since the whole sofa jumping on the Oprah show and it's gone downhill from there. Weird little man.

DottyDot Sun 16-Sep-12 23:14:51

I'm up for a MN viewing. Only if we can sit at the front and throw popcorn at the screen...

Dragonwoman Mon 17-Sep-12 00:02:55

Ralf Moller ( Russell crowes sidekick in Gladiator ) is the physical type I have in mind for Reacher. Or even Russell Crowe himself if Ralf is not a big enough name. Just not TC!

CaroleService Mon 17-Sep-12 09:41:20

We could picket ...

I will picket with you Carole!

DoItRight Mon 17-Sep-12 09:51:42

YY to Clive Owen, his was the first name I thought of!
Mmmm

anchovies Mon 17-Sep-12 09:55:37

I definitely had him down as Daniel Craig. That trailer was devastating, my rough and ready dreams have been shattered sad

bran Mon 17-Sep-12 23:08:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stookiesackhouse Mon 17-Sep-12 23:25:18

What about Liam Neeson? Too old?

stookiesackhouse Mon 17-Sep-12 23:26:58

By the way I think Tom might pull it off. His presence exceeds his height and he is hard as nails in MI4. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

bran Mon 17-Sep-12 23:37:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stookiesackhouse Mon 17-Sep-12 23:45:39

I watched it yes smile I am just letting go of the height issue despite being a huge Reacher fan.

I would much rather Cruise than Statham. No contest.

Sniggering and trying not to wake DH up at wanking in the aisles!

EasyFromNowOn Tue 18-Sep-12 13:21:19

I'd almost agree with bran but I think I'd actually go for this guy - Phillip Winchester is just a bit too clean cut for my idea of Reacher.

I don't think MI4 is a good example of TC being 'hard as nails'. I remember giggling a lot in it and being very disappointed that both the stupid gloves didn't fail...

diabolo Tue 18-Sep-12 21:10:27
CheerfulYank Tue 18-Sep-12 21:16:58

Kevin Durand, Kevin Durand, a million times Kevin Durand !!!!!!! (He's the tall one.)

Tom Cruise is bullshit and I think Lee Childs sold out his fans and I hope the movie falls on its face. angry

fivegomadindorset Tue 18-Sep-12 21:18:48

He is too short, sorry.

fivegomadindorset Tue 18-Sep-12 21:19:16

Agree with you there Yank

fivegomadindorset Tue 18-Sep-12 21:23:26

Sadly will be giving it a miss, such very, very, very, very bad casting.

whatkungfuthat Wed 19-Sep-12 20:22:44

Leeson for me, or at the very least Jim Caviezel. I hated Cruise as Lestat.

getrealandgetalife Thu 20-Sep-12 21:05:20

I second Kevin Durand, though Jason Statham would have done it for me too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now