A prayer for Owen Meany

(69 Posts)
qo Wed 12-Sep-12 12:50:15

I'm halfway through so no spoilers please grin

I am really struggling with this book, it's sooo boring that I can only manage a few pages at a time, every little point is dragged out and a lot of it seems meaningless to the story. I want to finish it, as it's regarded as a modern classic, and that the book only comes together at the end.

Please tell me if it's worth perservering with?

Portofino Wed 12-Sep-12 12:58:36

It is one of my all time faves - so yes I would say it worse persevering with.

Viperidae Wed 12-Sep-12 12:59:45

Yes, second that. I loved this book, I agree it is slow in parts but well worth persevering.

qo Wed 12-Sep-12 13:01:55

It is starting to pick up a bit with a lot more of John's present day/adult life creeping in but still isn't holding my interest at all.

I will perservere, but at this rate it's going to take me a year to finish it!

iwantavuvezela Wed 12-Sep-12 13:05:05

One of my all time favourite books too. Loved it!

qo Wed 12-Sep-12 13:05:48

Did nobody else find it a struggle and a little boring to read then?

crikeybill Wed 12-Sep-12 15:17:04

I didnt. I loved it, just loved it !!
Def up there with my all time faves grin

CaptainHoratioWragge Wed 12-Sep-12 15:18:35

Sorry to add to your annoyance, OP, but this is also one of my all time favourites. I've read it about 5 times.

qo Wed 12-Sep-12 15:28:00

oh, I just like my books to be un-put-down-able, to me Owen Meany is very put-down-able grin

Portofino Wed 12-Sep-12 18:15:46

And when you read the ending, you will HAVE to read it again ;-)

One of my favorites too. Please persevere. It's so worth it.

I found it awful. Absolutely mind-numbingly boring. I finished it but almost lost the will to live. This was only recently.

I don't know what people are getting out of this book but I guess we are all different.

I would say give up - life's too short smile

And you will LOVE the ending because the book is finally over...

JennetDevice Wed 12-Sep-12 18:38:41

Is this the first John Irving book you`ve tried? Maybe try The World According to Garp to get a feel for his writing. Then go back to Owen. It`s also one of my favourite books and I agree with everyone else, please persevere.

I really think the 300 pages or so he spent describing the nativity was far too little. I really wanted MORE detail. I wanted to know what people had for breakfast and want time they went to sleep grin

Sorry John Irving fans, being wicked!

minceorotherwise Wed 12-Sep-12 18:41:03

Ooh my fave book of all time
Agree it may have been bett to read Garp first

toysoldiers Wed 12-Sep-12 18:41:38

It's my favourite book, closely followed by Hotel New Hampshire.

I think you probably either like John Irving or you don't. But Owen is one of the few books to have a lasting effect on me.

Stick with it. grin

sayanythingrogerjustrogerme Wed 12-Sep-12 18:42:26

Loved it, read it about 10 times. So another vote for persevering, sorry!

rasputin Wed 12-Sep-12 18:44:04

oh what was the John Irving book called about the artist whose wife had left him after the death of their two sons and they had a daughter after the boys died, who was also left? Wife took all the pictures...

I found that book very vivid, I can still remember so many scenes, but not the title alas!

Minstrelsaremarvellous Wed 12-Sep-12 18:45:34

Worth persevering. I've only read it once but it really sticks with me. It's worth it.

qo Wed 12-Sep-12 18:49:54

I really think the 300 pages or so he spent describing the nativity was far too little. I really wanted MORE detail. I wanted to know what people had for breakfast and want time they went to sleep

hahaha [grin} This ^^ describes excatly how I feel about the book, every point so laboured it's excruciating, I've found myself skipping bits.

I actually just tried to read a bit more when I was in the bath and accidentally dropped it in - maybe it's a sign!

JennetDevice Wed 12-Sep-12 18:59:31

rasputin It`s A Widow for One Year. There is a film of this book called The Door in the Floor.

CaptainHoratioWragge Wed 12-Sep-12 20:21:48

Oh my goodness the nativity scene
I can remember nearly wetting myself I was laughing so hard the first time I read it with Owen playing Baby Jesus and forcing Mary to bow to him
I think i'm going to have to read it again...

It isn't really worth carrying on tbh. There is the so-called 'incredible' ending but it's pretty obvious where it's going and it takes a very, very long time to get there. It is tedious and over-written and pretty boring for the most part. Seriously over-rated. I liked the car scene but the rest of it really, really bored and annoyed me.

Burn it.

TheFarSide Wed 12-Sep-12 21:39:38

My all time favourite book, but if you don't like it so far it's not likely to improve for you. I think it's a book about characters and relationships rather than lots of action - if you like action, then you are going to find it boring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now