Who's your favourite fictional detective?

(164 Posts)
BurlingtonBertieFromBow Tue 04-Sep-12 17:11:31

I like Jackson Brodie in Kate Atkinson's books
Also Inspector Barnaby, George Smiley (does some detecting in A Murder of Quality) and Adam Dalgleish

hedgehogpatronus Thu 06-Sep-12 05:17:28

Not a detective as such but can I just mention Tony Hill (Val McDermid novels)?

Can't bloody stand Carol, but Tony is a great character. And the telly version is good in and of itself bonus points for Robson Green being delectable

And another vote for CB's Sherlock. He's incredible. Although he'd drive you absolutely spare.

hedgehogpatronus Thu 06-Sep-12 05:18:52

CB? BC perhaps.

And I adore Marino in the Patricia Cornwell books (before he went a bit mental).

Yamyoid Thu 06-Sep-12 05:27:07

Cooper (Kyle McLachlan) from Twin Peaks.

Thedoctrineofennis Thu 06-Sep-12 08:55:19

Sonia, LPW was written "ahead of his time" I would say - he had an awareness of his privilege, certainly in the later books, and his creator gave him some strong ideas about the place of women!

Cheerful, Jackson Brodie is a good character but the books in which he appears are far from "straight" mysteries.

Tim Vale - excellent call, Mrs John.

Thedoctrineofennis Thu 06-Sep-12 08:58:35

Hedgehog why don't you like Carol? Carol seems more real to me, Tony seems more "perfect" (around the edges of his gaping flaw, of course).

JemimaPuddle Thu 06-Sep-12 09:00:34

Charlie Parker

WeAllHaveWings Thu 06-Sep-12 09:00:59

Tom Thorne
Alex Cross

CleoSmackYa Thu 06-Sep-12 09:34:53

Rebus, followed by Shardlake.

Thursday Next literary detective (the eyre affair, lost in a good book etc - jasper fforde)

HooNose Thu 06-Sep-12 12:26:02

Books: Matthew Shardlake
TV: James Hathaway

SoniaGluck Thu 06-Sep-12 12:31:39

ennis Yes, you're right. And I agree about the feminism. Just being so attracted to a character with a title and so much wealth always just felt a little bit wrong somehow.

Not enough for me to stop reading, obviously.wink

Merrylegs Thu 06-Sep-12 12:32:14

Shoestring.

LtEveDallas Thu 06-Sep-12 12:37:37

Lt Eve Dallas of course!

(and Charlie Parker, Milo Sturgis, Alex Delaware and Alex Cross)

seeker Thu 06-Sep-12 12:40:49

Spencer

hedgehogpatronus Thu 06-Sep-12 13:05:05

Thedoctrineofennis because I am unduly influenced by the tv version, in which she is a bitch to Tony more often than not. Plus I just read the latest book in which she is pretty ridiculous.

Also can't bear Hermione Norris, give me Simone Lahbib any day drool

I know IABU.

Thedoctrineofennis Thu 06-Sep-12 13:09:19

Sonia you're in love with him because DLS was, and she is a very good writer. Don't feel bad about it - there's an orderly queue on this thread and others where LPW comes up grin

Thedoctrineofennis Thu 06-Sep-12 13:10:45

Hedgehog I haven't seen the tv version. I do want to be HN when I grow up and lose two stone though so I'd probably get the opposite impression!

SoniaGluck Thu 06-Sep-12 15:30:29

<gets to back of Lord Peter Wimsey queue> grin

Maigret.

EmpressOfTheGoldFlames Thu 06-Sep-12 15:36:20

Peter Wimsey AND Harriet Vane
Val McDermid's Kate Brannigan
Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles (not seen the TV version, just mean the books)
Kinsey Millhone
The early VI Warshawski, later ones not so much.

bluepencil Thu 06-Sep-12 15:38:43

Marcus Didius Falco

Harry Dresden (The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher). Not strictly speaking a detective, although he does have his PI licence and many of the books begin with him taking on a case.

And Miss Marple! Who can resist the ultimate undercover investigator?

Xiaoxiong Thu 06-Sep-12 15:44:19

Father Brown!

BalloonSlayer Thu 06-Sep-12 15:45:11

I like Inspector Wexford. Because he is NORMAL, happily married with kids, no tragedy in the past blighting his life making him throw himself into his work and become icily attractive to ladies he meets who turn out to have done it blah blah blah. I should say almost normal though as he was in his early sixties in 1964, and he still is. But, hey, way to go Reg!

gymboywalton Thu 06-Sep-12 15:45:15

precious ramotswe-gorgeous books

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now