Urban Legends.

(693 Posts)
LordOfThe5Rings Fri 03-Aug-12 23:23:33

I know I've been hogging the boards the last few days, but I don't care :P Just been curious on other peoples opinions on things.

I didn't know where to put this, so I apologise if it's in the wrong category.

I was wondering what everyones favourite Urban Legend/Cautionary Tale was. I have been fascinated in them for pretty much forever, due to so many meanings and of course expressing the nations fears.

So what are your favourites? Feel free to share the UL with us! smile

susiedaisy Sun 05-Aug-12 15:05:04

I have heard of that one it is about 30 odd years old nowsmile

I would not be at all surprised at the smear one being a thread on here. Sounds like exactly the kind of thing a mner would do grin

fuzzywuzzy Sun 05-Aug-12 15:26:18

Oh gosh the clown one, I never realised it was an urband legend.

A friend at work told it me. Said her relatives from south Africa were visiting and the girl had been babysitting for some very good friends who lived near a notorious stretch of road which is very well known as a criminal spot and to be avoided at night.

So relative waves off friends on their date, settles down for a quiet evening, half way thro the evening at about 10/11pm the couple ring her to see how things are going and she says she's fine the baby is sleeping, but would it be ok if she moved tthe life sized clown thing in their bedroom as it's creeping her out and when she went in the room to change it felt like she was bieng watched and she really can't sleep with it in the room.
They tell her to take the baby and leave immediately and not go back in the room, they have no such life sized clown doll!

I thought it was truuuueeee how gullible am I.

I still hate clowns!

When I started uni I got told this; years ago in your halls, two girls shared the double room. One night they. Were due to go out, one is ill so friend goes, coming back later to get something - doesn't turn light on so friend can stay sleeping. In the morning, friend dead, message on body, 'bet you're glad you left the light off' etc.

No I don't get the old lady stowaway one

susiedaisy Sun 05-Aug-12 15:45:55

Urrrgh that clown ones freaking me out!!sad

ScorpionQueen Sun 05-Aug-12 16:43:22

A friend of a friend owned a python. The owner of the snake let it roam around the house all day and each night it slept on the bed curled up next to the owner.

The snake had stopped eating and instead of curling up on the the owner's bed each night, the snake had taken to sleeping stretched out alongside the owner. The owner took the snake to the vet to find out why the snake was not eating. The vet said he didn't know but would make some enquiries. A few days later the vet called the owner and said the snake needs to be put down.

The vet told the owner that the snake was lying lengthways alongside her and had stopped eating because it was sizing the owner up to eat her.

I really must keep off this thread, I know I'll have bad dreams again tonight. DH told me off for reading it just before bed as I woke him up when the dog licked my hand.
smile

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sun 05-Aug-12 17:07:24

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE OLD LADY IN MEXICO ONE!!!

fuzzywuzzy Sun 05-Aug-12 17:09:44

It was a man disguised as a little old lady.

fuzzywuzzy Sun 05-Aug-12 17:10:47

oh woops no sorry wonrg one

LordOfThe5Rings Sun 05-Aug-12 17:57:35

I know clown one is really, really freaky!

tartyflette Sun 05-Aug-12 17:57:52

I always liked the one about the US family on holiday in Mexico who fell in love with a stray Mexican 'chihuahua' and smuggled it back in their RV only for it to be discovered by Customs who were horrified and and destroyed it straight way, saying it was a giant rabid sewer rat. grin
I mean, it's just soooo easy to confuse a dog and a rat, isn't it?
(Also I think most of these have either been made into films or have come from film plots)

YouBloodyWolf Sun 05-Aug-12 18:04:00

If you like this thread, you might enjoy the 'It happened to me!' section over on the Fortean Times board.

DoingTheBestICan Sun 05-Aug-12 18:05:48

A lady I used to work with had me convinced this one was true,a friend of hers had gone to see the chippendales and after the show she had been invited backstage by one of them.
She gave one of them a blow job and a couple of days later her eye started itching and went all red,she went to the dr who looked in her eye and found a pubic hair inside her eyelid.
I really believed her too.

LulaPalooza Sun 05-Aug-12 18:11:33

I was enjoying these, having a little chuckle at the ridiculousness of them

UNTIL I GOT TO THE SNAKE ONE

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I am going to have nightmares about that one! I cocking well hate snakes [scared and puking a bit face]

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sun 05-Aug-12 18:22:14

Loving these! creeeeeeeeeeeeeepy!

cookielove Sun 05-Aug-12 18:23:11

I've heard most of these already the dog one i know very well,
the different variables being
-the lady is blind
-the dog licks her hand at night to reassure her
-she gets out of bed the first time to turn the leaking tap off
-the dog's throat is cut and hung in the shower the entire time and its that dripping she can hear
- the last lines changes to 'Humans can lick too' (without the extra hand bit) which seems really creepy.
-Her carer finds her in the morning alive with the dogs blood on the wall as above.

The clown one is freaky, as is the guy in the house, there are lots of criminal mind shows like that, freaks me right out.

Cassettetapeandpencil Sun 05-Aug-12 18:23:19

I was convinced that this one was true when a friend told me she knew someone who this had happened to! I'm so gullible!

www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/subway.asp

Mintyy Sun 05-Aug-12 18:26:41

I love the one about the snake measuring up its owner by lying straight alongside her! Tis one of my old favourites.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 05-Aug-12 18:32:01

when interrailing int he late 80's we took it in turn to sleep on night trains because we were told that sleeping gas was regularly pumped into the carriages and theives went form cabin to cabin stealing everything....

I have no idea if it was true..

LordOfThe5Rings Sun 05-Aug-12 18:33:12

Some awesome ones here. I find them fascinating.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sun 05-Aug-12 18:36:36

NKU I was told that about the ovenight sleeper to Naples...

Also heard this one a lot in school. Always happened to a friend of a friend

Schlock Sun 05-Aug-12 18:38:09

I heard that one about sleeper trains in the early 90s when interrailing grin

Uppermid Sun 05-Aug-12 18:55:59

You bloody youbloodywolf! Why did I click on that link. I'm going to be terrified going to bed now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now