Post apocolyptic reads

(260 Posts)
BlingLoving Tue 24-Apr-12 09:38:20

I love a good post apocolyptic/sci fi read but find it's quite hard to find them so I'm looking for inspiration please from all of you. To give you an idea of what I like I recently read and enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. Going further back, I love almost everything John Wyndham ever wrote, but The Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids are my favourite.

My Kindle is charged and I am ready to download...!

hefalumpbecky Sat 10-Nov-12 20:51:42

Margaret Atwood- as others have suggested I would really recommend Oryx and Crake and the Handmaid's tail. Also read anoter by her can't remeber the name, something to do with a flood. Wasn't so keen on that one.

R2PeePoo Thu 25-Oct-12 16:42:48

I haven't read Flesh and Bone yet but I thought Dust and Decay was just as good. Jonathon Maberry obviously spends a lot of time thinking about zombies!

The fourth and final one is out next year - according to wikipedia its going to be called fire and ash.

jetstar Thu 25-Oct-12 15:01:28

Are the sequels to rot and ruin just as good R2?

bran Mon 22-Oct-12 20:58:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bran Mon 22-Oct-12 20:56:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

R2PeePoo Mon 22-Oct-12 18:14:16

Probably me jetstar I am a little evangelical about that series grin.

Two more of them after Rot and Ruin- 'Dust and Decay' and 'Flesh and Bone'.

jetstar Mon 22-Oct-12 16:43:39

Unfortunately I did buy 'Then' and I agree - it's not that great sad

Thanks to whoever recommended Rot and Ruin, I got it cheap for my kindle and am enjoying it at the moment (hope it has a good ending!)

R2PeePoo Thu 18-Oct-12 14:57:52

I love that series SheldonCooperPHD.

The fourth one is on my Xmas wishlist and then I shall read the whole series again from the start.

<happy sigh>

SheldonCooperPHD Wed 17-Oct-12 10:21:26

World War Z is great

I picked up "The Enemy" by charlie higson, because I thought my boy would eventually want to read it, so wanted to see how suitable it was, couldn't put it down and bought myself the next one.

Manda472 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:31:17

Yes Pombear I felt the same about plague and read a lot of it with one tear trickling down my cheek, very sad but very believable.
Read it when there were the cases of Congo fever last week.......

I just finished another freebie/cheapo on Kindle, called Big Sky about a family from Stornoway who are stuck at Glastonbury when the world ends, and their journey home again. It's another "cosy catastrophe" one aimed at YA so nothing very bad happens, no rampaging bikers or anything, but I enjoyed it.
I did enjoy Plague, although I also spent quite a while looking at the children and thinking "what if?" afterwards. It was sad but gripping too.

I know it has already been mentioned but Mara and Dann by Doris Lessing is the best post apocolyptic book ever written. EVER.

I have just finished the Hunger Games which I loved and keen to read another post apocolyptic read, so this thread is great!

crescentmoon Sat 13-Oct-12 07:49:27

brilliant pictures of Zombie Shoktober event in Sussex from the Guardian. DH actually looked up some of the more outlandish props, many run in the region of hundreds/thousands of dollars!

sashh Thu 11-Oct-12 11:38:26

H10N1

I'm half way through and it's free on the Kindle.

Manda472 Wed 10-Oct-12 17:58:15

Hope you enjoy it Pombear....you will definatley need some tissues for this one. Just downloaded her collection one which is free so thanks for that smile

I've just started on another freebie in amazon- This World After. It's a zombie one and so far so good.

I just downloaded Plague Manda - when I looked I'd already read a couple of hers and enjoyed them - her short story collection is good, and I think it might even have been free the other day grin
I just read one called "Alone" - main character is called Ralph and it was good - not exciting/thrilling/all go go go but more of a cosy catastrophe type thing. It did have me wiping away tears at the end though and I enjoyed it. That was either free or 77p too.
The last one of the Very Good Man series is out now and they are great, you do need all four to get the full story and it had several great new twists on the zombie theme and was very original.

'Then' is rubbish.

Manda472 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:27:02

I had a recommendation from amazon for "plague" by Lisa C hinsley, and only 77p. It's absolutely brilliant, really well written and I read it in one night. Admittedly it's only 150 pages smile

Def worth a read

jetstar Tue 11-Sep-12 08:13:28

I have just finished The Dog Stars by Peter Heller and it was quite good I thought.
Has anyone read Then by Julie Myerson? Is it good?

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 08-Sep-12 10:08:52

You have a pm, Pom smile

(R2 has already synopsisised the Happy Ending version for me)

Just realised you asked about the happy ending of Sunless Sea Bore - do you still want a synopsis? I can send you one if you do smile

Oooo Bore me too please - just the ending as afaik they are the same up until near the end, then they split for the "sad" and "happy" ends. If you ever want to part with it, please give me first refusal? I have searched for a sad ending copy for ages, ever since I discovered there were two versions.
I came back to this thread to recommend a new series I've been reading this week on Kindle. They are by P S Power - I think she's a she, but not certain. I read some of her other stuff (The Demon Girl and Keelzebub - they are good too, YA but amusing and lighthearted, nice easy read) and the Gwen Fariss series (2 so far) that are Steampunk, and then found her zombie apocalypse series. There are 3 out so far, with a fourth coming this year, and I am really enjoying them. They aren't just the ordinary "dawn of the dead" gorefest type zombie stories, there is more to them, and a lot more about the interactions of the survivors. The main character is called Jake and he is uttery believeable and "alive" on the page which I always like. The first one is called "A Very Good Man" and the series is called "Dead End". The first one is only 77p just now, and the other two are under £3 which is also good grin
If you like zombie/survivalist type stuff, these are well worth a look.

R2PeePoo Fri 07-Sep-12 13:23:55

Here are a few more:

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell (teenage girl surviving in a post-apoc world where the zombies are the least of the dangers. Well written, this story stayed with me, well-realised world mostly)

Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall (Zombie alien creatures invade a Star Trek convention. Full of wonderful geekiness, well written, but if you don't know your Voyager from your Babylon 5 I'd leave it)

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and the sequel Dreadfully Ever After (zombie apocalypse in the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century).

phedre Thu 06-Sep-12 13:46:18

Thanks for all the suggestions here - I had many happy weeks working my way through the various suggestions.

Two additions to the worthwhile reads.
- I, Zombie by Hugh Howie who wrote the excellent Wool series. Basically the zombie problem from the perspective of the zombie. Disturbing but compelling. Hugh Howey truly is a gifted writer
- Angelfall (Penryn and the end of Days) by Susan Ee. Don't be put off by the blurb. Once you start reading you simply can't put it down until you have finished (it is short though). Another very well written book and very cheap on amazon at the moment as it is self published.

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 17-Aug-12 12:17:02

No problem, R2.

I have to go out now so will do it later on, when I have time to do a semi-coherent good job.

I'd also be interested in a synopsis of the 'happy' ending (am assuming the book ends when the 'good news' is announced to everyone?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now