Post apocolyptic reads

(260 Posts)
BlingLoving Tue 24-Apr-12 09:38:20

I love a good post apocolyptic/sci fi read but find it's quite hard to find them so I'm looking for inspiration please from all of you. To give you an idea of what I like I recently read and enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. Going further back, I love almost everything John Wyndham ever wrote, but The Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids are my favourite.

My Kindle is charged and I am ready to download...!

PercyFilth Thu 24-May-12 14:56:52

Have you read the new one, Panda? Would be a good place to read it, I'd say. It actually fits in just before book 5, but it's similar to Wizard and Glass, with Roland telling a story. I loved it, the core story was a most beguiling tale in the old tradition (wicked step-parent, magic, a quest).

PandaWatch Thu 24-May-12 16:50:26

Thanks for the tip Percy - I'll take your advice and read that next! I've always been a huge fan of SK but didn't ever fancy the DT series for some reason. Then I picked up the gunslinger a couple of months ago and have been hooked ever since!

tiggy114 Thu 24-May-12 21:18:56

Ok my 2 penith: children of men, handmaids tale, i am legend, 1984 (classic), the running man (stephen king), battle royale, The Stand (SK again)

tiggy114 Thu 24-May-12 21:20:57

Oh and 'Brave new world'

outmonday Sun 27-May-12 20:33:46

None of these post-apocolyptic worlds is better than the world we know, is it?
I admire enormously Riddley Walker, The Road, The Handmaid's Tale and others mentioned, including Oryx and Crake, but not The Year of the Flood.

Hater by David moody is excellent. Really interesting take on the genre.

Exogenesis Sun 27-May-12 22:44:00

The Autumn books by David Moody! AMAZING!

BulletProofMum Sun 27-May-12 22:53:28

My favourite genre - loving this list. I'd forgotten all about Ridley walker. I loved it and lent it to a friend never to be seen again.

My recent favourites are the road, oryx and crake.

Have just bought metro and the big book recommended earlier.

BulletProofMum Sun 27-May-12 22:55:53

Land of ash was a recent book of short stories. Very good!

thequeensknickers Sun 27-May-12 23:06:21

Just watching The Road and wishing I'd already read the book.

Angelico Sun 27-May-12 23:15:00

Teen stuff: Blood Red Road (Moira Young), also Gone / Hunger / Plague / Lies - all by Michael Grant.

Definitely The Stand by Stephen King. It's the daddy!

Enjoyed Last Light and Afterlight as recommended on here - thank you!

Love The Road and Maragaret Atwood stuff, another quirky one is Far North (Marcel Theroux) - it was recommended on Radio 4 a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it.

I've ordered oryx and Crake smile

Wilding Mon 28-May-12 08:16:22

Ooh, I am v excited about this thread, I love a good post-apocalyptic book - going to check some of these out now!

PercyFilth Mon 28-May-12 10:06:06

I liked The Handmaid's Tale, but couldn't get into Oryx & Crake.

GrandPoohBah Mon 28-May-12 17:43:27

I thought Year of the Flood was better than Oryx and Crake, though neither came up to the standard of The Handmaid's Tale.

Survivors is very good - it's what the recent and 70s BBC adaptions were based on. Can't remember who it's by though.

Right, I'm off to spend some money on Amazon - this is one of my favourite genres!

oh bum. I hope I can get into it - I'm relying on it!

R2PeePoo Mon 28-May-12 20:12:00

I've recently read some good ones so have come back to add them to the thread.

'Life as we knew it' (and the two sequels) by Pfeffer. Meteor knocks moon out of orbit, affects tides, increases volcanic activity= very cold earth

'Snowfall' (and two sequels) by Mitchell Smith. Few hundred years after apocalypse. I liked the first one but the other two were just OK.

'The Last Days' by Frater (and two sequels plus story collection). Zombies. Main characters are women, one of whom is a mother which leads into the most terrifyingly upsetting opening to a zombie novel I have ever read. Unusual in that the female characters are better fleshed out than the male characters.

bran Mon 28-May-12 20:43:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

R2PeePoo Mon 28-May-12 20:59:29

Lucifer's Hammer is great, in the same vein are:

Warday by Strieber
Wolf and iron by Dickson

Further in the zombie theme are the graphic novels by Kirkman (The Walking Dead), but they are still ongoing which is a little frustrating.

Someone mentioned Survivors by Terry Nation, good but too short imo.

There is a mosaic novel I didn't notice mentioned above: Zombie Apocalypse by Jones.

Oh and 'Flood' by Stephen Baxter

<really really like this genre>

Nooooooooo - I tried reading the first 'Autumn' book last week and it was absolutely, shockingly rubbish. It felt like it had been written by a 13 year old who had never read a book in his/her life. DREADFUL. Sorry but it was really bad.

If you want bad zombie stuff that is actually readable and mildly entertaining, rather than merely excrutiating, then try 'Feed' and its follow-up by Mira Grant - zombie-fighting bloggers.

Another vote for 'Far North' - I enjoyed that.

bran Wed 30-May-12 20:31:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crescentmoon Sat 02-Jun-12 21:38:54

yes i love this thread, i don't have anyone to talk to or ask and DH doesnt understand my obsession! i love post apocalyptic books after plague, after zombies, after earthquake, environmental catastrophe,

i always loved reading kitchen boy fantasies, moved onto space opera and now since my third pregnancy cant get enough of post apocalyptic fiction. im constantly looking for lists online and im so happy at some of the recommendations here.

i loved metro 2033, i read it whilst pregnant with youngest ds and i was terrified, never felt the same on the london tube again lol. but wasnt the ending so strange i couldnt understand the conclusion, i keep waiting for a sequel!

i finally watched the road after reading the book, i couldnt watch more than half of it i found it very grim. the scene in the book when they stumble into the cellar where the people are kept to be eaten later piece by piece made me have nightmares, but the film scene was even worse!

iv read
far north - i found it in the regular fiction section at waterstones not in sci fi which surprised me!,
the stand - i loved it,
the road - scary but good,
last light which i enjoyed but didnt read the first afterlight,
world war z - the book that got me hooked into the genre,
autumn - which i agree with earlier posters was crap,
feed - i liked but didnt want to read another blog entry style book again!,
the death of grass - which actually stays on my mind more than any other book because i found it the most plausible,
on the beach,
Flood and Arc by stephen baxter,

what about post apocalyptic films? iv only watched a few, has anyone ever seen Threads? the film based in Sheffield about a nuclear attack? i told myself id rather die than be a survivor like the girl in the story. it was sooo depressing. the road - i didnt even finish, and the last train? has anyone ever seen it, not a film as such more a tv programme series. i only ever watched the first two episodes but it was good.

R2PeePoo Sat 02-Jun-12 22:02:37

DH got me the original 70's series of Survivors for my birthday present a few years ago. We watched about 2/3rds and then lost interest but the first couple of discs were absolutely excellent before it all sort of trailed away.

I've watched Children of Men recently and a couple episodes of V (from the 1980s ?), the first was OK, the second was quite good. Also Book of Eli (excellent), war of the worlds (first good, second was awful I though). I struggled through The postman but I really hate Kevin Kostner. Same with the Mad Max films and Mel Gibson. I liked the Last Train but again lost interest after a while.

Movies 24 often has B-movie type post apocs like The Lost Future and Lost City Raiders which are not very good but I watch them anyway (Movies 24 also has such gems as Megashark vs Crocosaurus and Sharktopus).

But I can't watch anything with zombies no no. Even the Living Dead films. I found one once on Iplayer and watched about 5 minutes. Didn't sleep for a week. <coward>

R2PeePoo Sat 02-Jun-12 22:03:31

*first war of the worlds was good, second one with Tom Cruise was awful I thought.

whereismywine Thu 07-Jun-12 18:38:16

I'm currently reading daughters of the north, more dystopian I think but I love this genre. I've got The Rapture on my to read shelf. I often wonder why I like this kind of book so much. I think The Chrysalids and The Handmaids Tale when I was younger started me off. I'd love to write my own. I think they remind me of all the good things I have, scare me a bit and there is often good world building. Why do you like them? Dh is bemused that I gravitate to end of the world books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now