Post apocolyptic reads

(260 Posts)
BlingLoving Tue 24-Apr-12 09:38:20

I love a good post apocolyptic/sci fi read but find it's quite hard to find them so I'm looking for inspiration please from all of you. To give you an idea of what I like I recently read and enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. Going further back, I love almost everything John Wyndham ever wrote, but The Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids are my favourite.

My Kindle is charged and I am ready to download...!

I'm Just reading my first ever. It was a kindle freebie and my experience with those is dreadful. It's called The Killing Moon by Rob Glenn and I'm just over half way. I was thoroughly enjoying it but it has turned rather violent so my final judgement is reserved.
Have made a list of these recommendations as it's great to find a new genre I like,

teatimesthree Mon 30-Apr-12 20:25:20

Riddley Walker is amazing.

Earth Abides by George Stewart is interesting but a bit creepy esp. on race.

Recently read The Death of Grass and really enjoyed it. I also liked The Road a lot. The Ice People by Maggie Gee is interesting. Love feminist/post-apo cross over, like The Carhullen Army by Sarah Hall, and Woman On The Edge of Time by Marge Piercy (altho that is perhaps more utopian/dystopian).

AkhalTeke Mon 30-Apr-12 21:32:15

Mara and Dann by Doris Lessing. Set in next Ice age.

whackamole Tue 01-May-12 01:58:14

I love apocalyptic fiction and have read a fair few noted here. That book of short stories is great!!

Can I add Margaret Atwood's the year of the flood? I love her writing so much, oryx and crake was brilliant and there is going to be a third.I can't wait.

I read girlfriend in a coma by Douglas Coupland years ago which would go along with your theme, I hope its not just a teen book as it's my first recommendation please be easy with me. blush

eternallyoptimistic Tue 01-May-12 03:41:11

The Road by Cormac Mcarthy

'Girlfriend In A Coma' deffo not teenage. Pretty good although it does get rather silly towards the end - but you can play 'Spot the The Smiths' lyrics as you read.'

stargirl1701 Tue 01-May-12 20:34:43

The Road. It's scary though. I give my copy away after I had read it because I was too scared to have it in the house!

SkinnyVanillaLatte Tue 01-May-12 20:40:51

Its Last Light,I think (the other Alex Scarrow book).Both thoroughly recommended.

SkinnyVanillaLatte Tue 01-May-12 20:45:09

I just couldn't do the language in Riddley Walker,but I enjoyed The Road,Death of Grass etc.

I can recommend some good zombie reads if you like that sort of thing.....

BlingLoving Tue 01-May-12 21:30:09

OP here. I've just finished Last Light - the Alex Scarrow one. I've bought Afterlight but am a bit nervous. Apparently, having had DS I now find novels where children might get hurt difficult to read. I thought it was a good read but I am not sure if I enjoyed it. Of course, I bought the next one so... grin

Glad to see a few more ideas on here. Will be back as I work my way through a few.

R2PeePoo Tue 01-May-12 21:53:44

Back with more (like I said, I like this genre grin)

The City, Not Long After - Pat Murphy
The Memoirs of a Survivor-Doris Lessing
The Pesthouse by Jim Crace

Also there is a sequel to 'Mara and Dann' mentioned above -

'The Story of General Dann and Mara's Daughter, Griot and the Snow Dog '

BlingLoving Thu 03-May-12 10:21:39

R2PeePoo - it was you who recommended Last Light and After Light? I'm enjoying After Light much more than Last Light but... did he write After Light too? There are annoying discrepancies between the books, mostly to do with the plot of Leona seeing the old guys that I'm finding a bit frustrating.

R2PeePoo Thu 03-May-12 12:28:52

Yes I think he wrote both books. TBH I have only read the first one ( is that Last Light?) when it first came out a few years ago. I don't think I'll bother with the sequel then.

BlingLoving Thu 03-May-12 14:21:10

Well actually, I'm enjoying the sequl (AfterLight) more - it's more traditional post apocolyptic in that it's looking at how society has evolved, seems to be developing the traditional physical and mental and emotional journey etc. Last Light was all about an assassin attempting to kill her...

Although I do feel he's a little unnecessarily free with the descriptions of children being killed... post DS I'm definitely not as able to cope with that and I'm not sure that a third of the way into the book graphif descriptions of at least 3 children's deaths is really doing me any good.

R2PeePoo Fri 04-May-12 11:57:48

I know what you mean about children's deaths, I am much more sensitive to them now than before my DC.

But then it does give a book an air of gritty realism, I think a real cataclysm/lawless society would have the greatest effect on the very old and the very young and they would be the most vulnerable and first to die. I read Joe Sacco's documentary comic 'Safe Area Gorazde' about the Bosnian War and it was my first real glimpse about what it actually might be like to be in a war as a civilian, I wish I could burn some of the images out of my head tbh. I think we are very cut off from the reality of lawlessness, murder, genocide etc which is the luxury of living in such a wealthy and ordered country; this is a good thing too though!

I don't know, just musing I guess, especially as I haven't read the book.

Anyway I came back to this thread to mention another book:

The Girl who owned a city by O.T Nelson

Earthymama Wed 09-May-12 12:17:55

Can I recommend all of Sheri Tepper's books?
She is amazing, often post-apocalyptic or alternate world. I have read all of them but just downloaded several onto my Kindle so that I am sure of a good read on holiday.

Woman on the Edge of Time Marge Piercy, dated now but great book

SandraSue I am just reading The Strain following your recommendation. I have never read any horror before and I'm absolutely gripped by it. Trouble is it's getting scarier by the page and I think I am too much of a wimp to continue.

TheCountessOlenska Mon 14-May-12 08:29:18

SecretSquirrels - I just finished The Strain and the second one The Fall (also as recommended on this thread!) - They are really creepy. The second one has a scene in a train tunnel that seriously gave me the shivers when I was on the train in the Mersey tunnel the other day!

Am now reading The Passage (recommended on here and on my vampire thread!) - which has a similar plot (vampire virus) but is better written imo. Am enjoying!

ghosteditor Mon 14-May-12 08:41:39

I second quite a few of the books mentioned, especially Riddley Walker and Oryx and Crake.

Also Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (stick with it);

Life After God by DouglasCoupland

All the Dead Are Here by Pete Bevan (disclaimer - these are interlinked short stories about zombies, written and recently published by a MNers husband, but I just read them and liked them!)

I'll check my book shelf later for anything not already mentioned...

Yes to 'Life After God.' Can't remember if we've already mentioned 'Girlfriend In A Coma' too.

bran Tue 22-May-12 12:41:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SummerLightning Tue 22-May-12 22:13:35

I've read wool too. Loved it and couldn't put it down! Cheap as well. Plus you can get the first one for free to see if you like it.

HermioneE Tue 22-May-12 22:17:02

Echoing the recommendation of Divergent, and OP, thanks for starting this thread! smile

PandaWatch Thu 24-May-12 12:14:24

I reckon the Dark Tower series by Stephen King would suit your needs! I've just finished book 5 of 7 and they are fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now