Room - upsetting?

(34 Posts)
pirateparty Sun 23-Jan-11 15:39:11

Just want to know if this book is going to upset me greatly in my hormonal pregnant state? It looks fab from the reviews and I definitely want to read it at some point but should I postpone it until I'm a bit less - well, hormonal?

I know it sounds stupid, but I get disproportionately upset by anything remotely sad at the moment (and have a small ds and anything to do with children is especially likely to involve a lot of tears) and will happily put it off until later if someone thinks it might set me off!

Pixel Sun 20-Feb-11 18:02:37

My friend lent me this and I stayed up half the night because I couldn't put it down. The most harrowing bit I found was right at the end (don't want to spoil!) but that was only because it brought the rest of the book home iyswim. Otherwise, as others have said, it was quite cheerful in a strange way.

Jajas Fri 25-Feb-11 20:50:54

I didn't like it, gave it away as soon as I had finished it. Hated the beginning and the end wasn't much better! Mind you I find the subject matter extremely disturbing so guess I wasn't ever going to be its greatest fan.

Dahlberg Thu 10-Mar-11 09:39:10

yep, very upsetting.
i had to jump to the end just to see that it turned out alright in the end ( it does). this is a brilliant and compelling book but definately post pregnancy material !

ash6605 Thu 12-May-11 21:50:39

I'm actually finding it quite boring, I'm about 3/4 the way through and no matter how much I want to like it I'm finding it duller by the day. I know I'm in the minority as so many people love it but just don't think it's for me sad

melliebobs Sat 14-May-11 19:14:34

i read this a couple of month ago. If anything it's a happy kinda sad!

coolbeans017 Wed 06-Jul-11 13:59:00

Heres a good review:
www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/aug/01/room-emma-donoghue-review-fritzl

I enjoyed the book. I do think it dragged on a bit in the middle when you were waiting for something to happen and not great ending but thought provoking and well worth a read.

Michiem Sat 23-Jul-11 07:28:57

I really enjoyed room, think it was very cleverly written. Hadn't heard anything about it before I read it and got sucked in quite quickly. Have recommended it to friends but they've read the reviews and are basically scared to read it.

TheRealFellatio Wed 01-May-13 18:46:49

We read it at our book club - I thought it was incredible; very touching, and uplifting and positive overall, despite its very harrowing subject. but there were one or two of who found it too difficult a subject to read about and did not enjoy it at all.

OhGood Tue 14-May-13 16:10:57

It's brilliant, and (ultimately) more uplifting than upsetting - but I too am pregnant and can't read anything even vaguely remotely upsetting, so I say avoid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now