Book for a wedding gift?

(18 Posts)
yUMMYmUMMYb Thu 23-Sep-10 16:20:32

No, i am not just being stingy... My brother is getting married and i wanted to give him and his new bride a book - and this is where i need your help. He gave me and my DH a book when we got married (Tuesdays with Morrie) and i wanted to give him something similar.
They are very much into buddhism, grow your own veg, keeping animals, yoga (you get the picture). I need some inspiration for a deep and meaningful book as i am normally a chick lit kind of girl.
I have a bit of time as they are not getting married until next summer, but i want to find the RIGHT book and have read it too.
All suggestions gratefully accepted.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 23-Sep-10 22:15:06

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho

yUMMYmUMMYb Fri 24-Sep-10 12:33:19

Thank you LightShinesinTheDarkness that definitely gives me some reading before the big event.

Medee Sun 26-Sep-10 23:08:51

maybe not in the right lines, but apparently every Italian bride is given a copy of the the Silver Spoon (the Independent's round up of the best cook books told me so)

yUMMYmUMMYb Mon 27-Sep-10 12:16:45

that sounds lovely medee - just the thing to get married life off on the right footing. And a bit of tradition behind it too. Thanks

ArsMamatoria Thu 25-Nov-10 21:16:56

I think this book makes a good wedding present - The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit. It's basically a rather lovely list of foods that go together, both familiar combinations and unusual ones. Nicely symbolic. I have got it for some friends for their wedding.

BikeRunSki Thu 25-Nov-10 21:19:49

How about "The Five People you meet in Heaven" - also by Mitch Albom (who wrote "Tuesdays With Morrie" - and similarly thought provoking?

melliebobs Sat 14-May-11 19:19:33

karma sutra?! sorry was just the first thing that came into my idiotic head. i will leave..........now

PieMistress Sat 28-May-11 12:55:15

Second nomination for The Alchemist, after I read it I bought it for lots of presents as I was so blown away by it

munstersmum Thu 09-Jun-11 21:26:16

A book of love poems?

KvetaBarry Thu 09-Jun-11 21:27:58

not The Art of War. And especially not The Art of War in czech. Unless both the bride AND the groom are czech. <not bitter>

Are they going anywhere interesting on honeymoon? Might be nice link with their wedding. Or the plave that they are getting married or another place that is special to them. I think coffee table books ith loads of pictures are really lovely.

jacksmummy09 Mon 13-Jun-11 11:55:30

You could buy them book vouchers for Waterstones/WHSmith etc then they could choose their own title.

rimz Thu 16-Jun-11 10:56:44

The Power of Now or A New Earth both by Eckhart Tolle

madhousewife Tue 28-Jun-11 19:26:36

Mr and Mrs Smith's hotel guide?
Are they into travelling?

I also like the Flavour Thesaurus, it's a great book and looks cool.

archanat10 Wed 29-Jun-11 18:33:38

a suitable boyby vikram seth..its never ending and just too beautiful

yogafan Tue 20-Nov-12 21:21:37

They sound lovely - I really recommend 'A Path With Heart' by Jack Kornfield. It is basically a Buddhist book, so maybe they already have it... It is very beautiful and inspiring, I'm sure they'd love it.

Someone bought us a beautiful world atlas and wrote in the front 'wishing you a world of happiness' and the family all signed it. Still have it 20years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now