Adoption from Vietnam

(49 Posts)
snowdon04 Tue 09-Mar-10 13:49:52

I have just adopted a child from Vietnam. If anyone is thinking of doing this i would be very happy to help.

Monkey7 Sun 23-Nov-14 07:25:33
Monkey7 Sun 23-Nov-14 06:52:05

Hi Hanoiexpat, Im am living and working in HCMC and have been here for 4 years. I have started the process of adopting, however nothing seems to be progressing. I am looking into finding a different lawyer and was wondering if you have any recommendations? How long did the process take for you from start to finish? Any advice that you have would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Felicity71 Thu 23-Oct-14 21:21:55

Does anyone know if it is still possible to adopt from Vietnam?

wishingwell3 Thu 02-Oct-14 18:49:43

Hi All. we are wondering what are the current requirements in 2014 with regard to Adopting in Vietnam. For instance is it definately 1 year living there. Do you need to work there. Is that a requirement. Would also really appreciate some feed back from someone living or going through Adoption process there currently. Would also welcome Hanoiexpat/Saigonbethan or others input. Thanks

saigonbethan Tue 23-Sep-14 11:45:10

Hi Hanoiexpat! Finally I have found someone living in VN that has adopted!!
We've been here for 3 years now and have decided to adopt but it's proving to be an absolute minefield. Can you tell me your experiences? How long did it take for example? Many, many thanks in advance.

ervin00 Fri 27-Jun-14 11:57:27
Hanoiexpat Thu 26-Jun-14 17:18:43

Hi Pinot , I have spent the last 5 yrs in hanoi and I have adopted 2 children. I will be happy to talk to you about it if you are interested. Let me know!

drspouse Sat 11-Jan-14 14:37:17

Hi Halema, are your children adopted? If not, do you know you've asked this on the adoption board?

If they are adopted, you might get more answers if you started a new thread. If they are not adopted, then there are quite a few other parts of the site that might be better places to ask.

Halema Sat 11-Jan-14 13:27:01

Hi there I am new to this so didnt know how to ask any questions. My question is I am a British citizen by beaut naturalisation. I moved to the USA to live with my husband who was also a us citizen by naturalisation. I have 4 children who were born in the US.
Are the children entitled to dual citizenship if one parent is British?
Also we want to come and live in the uk as I have no family in the USA. What are my chances bearing in mon I gave been out the uk for 13 years?
All help and advice will b very much appreciated.

Thanks

Pinot2013 Tue 03-Dec-13 00:40:23

We are going through adoption process here but it's taking for ever and I have no hope in the uk system, I feel social services make it their mission to fail you, hence we are thinking about going out to Vietnam. I am Vietnamese and hubby English so chance of getting a mix race kid is almost impossible.

Just wanted to know if we can adopt without clearance from uk. Live in van for 12 months then apply?

Pinot2013 Tue 03-Dec-13 00:32:31

Hi Snowdon04

I would love to know your experience re adoption in Vietnam and the procedures as my husband and I are looking into it.

I understand you have to live there for a period of 12 months, once your paperwork been approve how do you apply for the visa for the child and what happens when you get back to the uk?

Look forward to hearing from you

mdoyle Sun 25-Aug-13 02:53:36

Hi Hanoiexpat, I am working in Hoi An in a great school but have come here to adopt. I was aware you had to be working for a year but can you start the process before that and is there any time frame from start to finish. I do not have a homestudy from the UK/Ireland. Mu husband is currently working in Oz. Any info or where to find it would be wonderful..I loved hearing of your own success story!

Hanoiexpat Tue 30-Jul-13 16:33:42

Hi Snowdon04, great to hear all is going well since your return. You may recall that I was a few months behind you in my first adoption and I now also have a little boy who is 2. They still have Vn passports as we are still living here which is a bit of an issue.
I am single and there is no problem with adopting as a single woman - it is not possible as a single man.
For anyone contemplating coming to Vn to adopt, the law has changed and you must now be here for 12 months before you become eligible. Under the new law, the children are all likely to be at least 12 months old and probably older than that in reality. It is possible - I have adopted twice here but it is difficult and very stressful. That said it is the BEST thing I have ever done in my whole life. I have two wonderful children and so far all is great. I am happy to talk to anybody who is either already here or is thinking about it.

WeeNoggi Mon 03-Dec-12 14:36:42

I've name-changed - I'm Black Country Woman from above.

I contacted a lawyer who recommends waiting for a year while Vietnam puts in place the aspects of the Hague convention. He also said that adopting at this time is much better than the past but still unpredictable in terms of success / time frame. They are willing to help legally at this time regardless.

Hanh My I have no idea what to suggest to help you - I would guess a lawyer. PM me for details of a firm with experience of adoption - offices in Hanoi & HCMC.

Noeintracy Going by Snowdon's case it seems getting a home study done before you come over to VN would probably be advisable.

I'm still clueless on how to actually begin the process while living here sad. I'm not aware of any agencies who could help.

hanhmy Tue 27-Nov-12 10:09:43

Hi I would really appreciate your help

I am Vietnamese my Husband is British

we currently live in Vietnam where my husband works

we have a Vietnamese adopted daughter aged ten and a naturally born son age 6 and a half

My son has a british passport but I would like to achieve the same thing for my daughter - I guess we need to live in the UK right and apply to the courts - how difficult is it to adopt in the UK your advice would be much appreciated

Noeintracy Fri 23-Nov-12 10:24:58

I'm a British citizen living in New Zealand.... does anyone know who/what/how for me to adopt? I would be happy to live and work in Hanoi for a year.

BlackCountryWoman Sat 17-Mar-12 04:00:47

Congrats Snowdon!

I am currently in Vietnam and have been here for 2 years. I'm happy to help with questions about living here.

I would love to adopt but very nervous. DH is a US citizen and the US has put all adoptions on hold until Vietnam satisfies the demands of the Hague convention. They have just signed up to it but it will be a couple of years before the process meets the specifications.

It seems from your experience that perhaps we could adopt and then help the child become a British citizen. I'm terrified of never being able to take him / her to the states to meet the rest of the family however.

Emmaroos Fri 17-Feb-12 09:44:40

Congratulations Snowdon!
Some of our friends think that I am utterly bonkers to be thinking of relocating to complete an adoption abroad, so it is HUGELY encouraging to hear a success story from someone who did just that. Most of the places we have considered require a year of residency, so six months in Vietnam almost sounds speedy in comparison! Wishing you and your newly expanded family all happiness in the future.

adoptivemumtobe Thu 16-Feb-12 15:55:55

Snowdon, I would love to talk with you if you are available? I am really keen to adopt from Vietnam and am definitely willing to move out there to make it happen. Your post came up in Google when I was trawling (yet again!) for information.

sarspice Sun 03-Oct-10 12:22:38

I have just read this read also and am considering adopting from vietnam. Snowdon I would be interested in chatting if possible. Next year I am moving to either Vietnam or Singapore

maindoors Mon 26-Jul-10 17:24:06

Have just read this thread - a few months late! - as we are seriously considering doing what you have done Snowdon and would love to talk if at all possible as I still have so many questions.

EAQ Tue 04-May-10 10:34:37

Hi Snowdon - Congratulations. We have been living in Vietnam for 2 years now and are also considering adopting but am having trouble finding out much info on how we go about getting started with the whole process. Did you go through a local agency/orphanage? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Kewcumber Sat 10-Apr-10 11:58:28

I too am plnning a return when DS is about 10 - can you believe he starts school in Spet shock

Good news that SS is providing support - I think we are spoilt for support here and luckily the school psychologist who moves into post when DS goes to school was on the adoption team prior to that. DS will also go to school with a friedn who is also transracially (domestically) adopted so we very lucky. SO far no real sign of adoption issues - his issue at the moment is not having a daddy at home though he does seem to accept my explanations and is happy to talk about it still.

No doubt more issues ahead! But so far perfectly normal (annoying) four year old.

Issy Fri 09-Apr-10 16:39:51

mwah mwah Kewcumber! grin grin

We're all really well. How are you both?

We have asked for and social services are supplying :faint: some very light-weight intervention for DD2. She's absolutely thriving at home and at school but, on a very subtle level, is finding it hard intellectually and emotionally to integrate her pre-adoption story into her life and we and the SWs thought that some very gentle, very low-key therapy now might help her to do that and avoid more significant problems later.

The birth-country visit is just pie-in-the-sky at the moment but I want it to happen when DD1 is old enough to understand and explain how she feels about the experience but young enough to avoid an adolescent maelstrom. I suspect that gives us about a six month window of opportunity. grin

Kewcumber Thu 08-Apr-10 21:53:42

Issy! grin Mwah mwah!

How are you and your family - how exciting a broth country trip - so jealous I'd like to go back every year if funds allowed...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now