Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Foster to adopt

(6 Posts)
imkeepingeverythingcrossed Sun 18-Sep-16 14:43:02

Just a quick question.

We adopted our son 18 months ago and have been thinking about fta. But say our sons bm gives birth and we're approached for fta (agree/approved etc) would the baby come to us the day it was born? I cannot find this answer anywhere else so am hoping one of you lovelies could help. TIA xxgrin

TearingDownTheWall Sun 18-Sep-16 14:48:29

Not necessarily - it depends on circumstances and each pregnancy would be assessed individually. I know three couples who have had a sibling placed. All were over 12 months. Sadly in my LA it seems to slow things down - the child is deemed as nit being at risk and the plan is agreed so they then postpone and delay matching panel because there is no urgency to do it.

flossietoot Sun 18-Sep-16 14:57:02

Hi, this is fairly unlikely. As far as I am aware, they can not begin adoption proceedings until the baby is actually born, and generally, they have to be very very certain that the mum is not going to be able to cope for whatever reason this time round. They have to look at the situation at the present time, not entirely on what may have happened in the past (although this will of course be very important).

Maiyakat Sun 18-Sep-16 14:59:56

It's very unlikely to be the day baby is born, as the local authority cannot go to court for a care order until baby is born and this takes a few days at least. However babies do go straight from hospital to foster to adopt placements (with all the provisos that flossie has mentioned).

matimeo Sun 18-Sep-16 17:20:10

It's far from impossible, but only in certain specific situations:

It's quite common for subsequent children to be removed at birth where circumstances haven't changed and mean there is no chance of mum providing adequate care. Serious drug users are an obvious example.

In those circumstances (assuming a birth family placement isn't a goer) the child would go to FC. The only way the child would come to you immediately is as a family placement (your child being related) or if the FtA plans can be organised pre-birth. This is only going to happen if the SW has done some work before hand and if you have been passed as an FC. You would be starting purely as an FC and the adoption plan couldn't be confirmed until later court decisions.

This can't happen retrospectively. Once the child goes to a long term FC it can't later come to you until/unless placed for adoption (i.e. no swap to FtA to place early). So in these circumstances it's typically from birth through FtA or from 5+ months for adoption, depending on time to get court orders, panels etc.

Tl;DR: Speak to your childs SW and discuss some possibilities. Get some options on file and get passed as an FC if you want to FtA anyway. If this isn't hypothetical, you may wish to PM me.

LocoMoco Sun 18-Sep-16 17:58:31

I have heard of a situation where the foster to adopters where in the hospital waiting for the baby to be born.
They had to be approved as foster carers in advance and the bps had agreed to an immediate fta placement.

I think the adoption was finalised at court before the child was 1. The adoptive parents haven't got a bad word to say about the LA or their SW as you'd expect!

I've only ever heard of that one case that it's happened like that unless you go to America and pay for a private adoption of a relinquished child, which is a completely different kettle of fish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now