Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

31 wanting stepdad to adopt me

(5 Posts)
Loukirk Sun 11-Sep-16 21:48:14

Hi ladies so I'm 31 years old and I call my stepdad DAD I haven't seen my biological dad since I was 13 and that was for all of 3 hours and before that I was 5 years old my stepdad has brought me up and is the man who has always been there for me...for what ever reason we have never gotten around to him adopting me I mean I'm a married woman now with two children but it's something I can't stop thinking about I think it's time ...does anyone have any advice of how I go about this

Thank you in advance x

Italiangreyhound Sun 11-Sep-16 22:37:36

There is another thread on here about this. I think it is not legal in the UK but is legal in some countries. Could you do it symbolically?

Loukirk Sun 11-Sep-16 22:51:50

Symbolically?

I will look for the other thread I did think it may be easier with me been an adult plus not having any contact with my biological dad, thank your for your comment x

Italiangreyhound Sun 11-Sep-16 23:22:06

By symbolicly I meant (having checked is is ok with him and he appreciates the gesture) have a big party for your next or his next big birthday. Invite all your family, and announce your step dad will henceforth be known as your dad. Have whatever cultural items will.make this special:
Announcement in the paper
A beautiful cake
A family photo

Explore what different cultures do or have done to celebrate adult adoption, or any adoption.

Good luck.

Kr1stina Mon 12-Sep-16 09:55:11

What Italian said

In the UK you have to be under 16 to be adopted

If you step dad brought you up and you love him like a father then is IS your father, what difference would a piece of paper make to how you feel ?

If it's about legal / inheritance issues, then you need legal advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now