Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Panel

(19 Posts)
Sillyshell Wed 15-Jun-16 11:23:15

Hi all, am just looking for some support and kind words really smile

We are due to go to panel next week and I am worrying that they are going to turn us down, there is no reason why they would and our social worker is really positive and happy with all the work we have done so far but I cant stop worrying.

tldr Wed 15-Jun-16 12:41:26

If your SW is even halfway competent there's no way you'd be going to panel if you weren't going to get through. If there were any possible issues she would have raised them with you already.

(Didn't stop me worrying either.smile)

Good luck!

MintyLizzy9 Wed 15-Jun-16 13:02:01

What tdlr said!

I was a wreck leading up to it I was so nervous!

Try to relax as hard as that sounds! Panel will ask you a few questions so it's worth reading through your report just to refresh yourself tho it's all about you so they won't be asking anything you can't answer! When the panel chair came out to tell me I'd been approved I couldn't even say thank you, the relief was unbelievable, when I opened my mouth to speak I just started crying!
Good luck! Xxx

Sillyshell Wed 15-Jun-16 13:14:53

Thank you both for you sensible words smile I have complete faith in our social worker and he really has helped us but I cant stop worrying, I guess it's just normal and I'm just going to have to go with it.

Minty, I'm sure I am going to be a blubbering wreck too!

Cleo1303 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:43:05

Your SW shouldn't put you through unless she is pretty confident you will be approved.

I had the most miserable witch as the panel chair. She came out and begrudgingly told me they had decided "on balance" to let me go ahead. The Clerk had come out with her and asked if I wanted to lodge a complaint about her because she was so rude. My SW and the Head of Adoptions were there too and were appalled.

The result was that I was approved - but she just couldn't bring herself to say Congratulations and be nice. Instead of feeling euphoric I felt totally flat. I reckon that she personally didn't like my answer to one of the questions (although I can't imagine what).

I am sure you will be fine. Really they don't turn many people down once the SW has got them to panel.

Let us know how it goes.

Sillyshell Wed 15-Jun-16 16:35:30

Thanks Cleo. What a horrible woman ruining a special moment like that for you.

I'm just going to try and not think about it, which I realise will be harder said than done!

Cleo1303 Wed 15-Jun-16 19:43:16

Sillyshell, I promise you other friends who have adopted had a really lovely time. One of us had to get the witch by the law of averages. You won't get one now!

Anyway, it didn't matter in the end. I found my beautiful DD.

I am sure it will be okay.

Sillyshell Tue 21-Jun-16 09:21:32

So we got a big fat yes smile Am so happy and relieved, I had a little cry afterwards.

Now just need to try and be patient and wait for that call!

tldr Tue 21-Jun-16 09:36:51

Told you so ;)

Congrats!

Sillyshell Tue 21-Jun-16 10:00:24

Thank you smile

2old2beamumandpastit Tue 21-Jun-16 11:22:17

Well done and welcome to "Adoption Family" I promise you it is brilliant.
Hope you do not have wait too long!

star flowers

PoppyStellar Tue 21-Jun-16 11:33:42

Had read your original thread and was hoping it had all gone well for you. So glad to hear it did. Congratulations!

MintyLizzy9 Tue 21-Jun-16 15:00:14

Congrats!!!!!!

jingscrivenshelpmaboab Tue 21-Jun-16 15:44:39

Congratulations - it's such a wonderful feeling when you get that yes!

Sillyshell Tue 21-Jun-16 15:50:48

Thank you all, I'm still buzzing about it smile Need to try and calm down now and stop thinking our social worker is going to call in the next couple of days!

PoppyStellar Tue 21-Jun-16 16:01:32

Ha ha. I recognise that feeling! FWIW I had the call from my SW within days. (Nearly fainted with shock as my LA is not renowned for speed!) So yes it may take ages (and probably best to be realistic) but it may not (and sometimes it's nice to be giddy with excitement!). Wishing you and your DS or DD all the best whenever you are matched.

Italiangreyhound Wed 22-Jun-16 00:20:08

Excellent, congratulations. thanks

Sillyshell Wed 22-Jun-16 10:52:35

smile thank you

Cleo1303 Wed 22-Jun-16 13:54:00

I thought you would be fine. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now