Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Present for friends adopting a 20 month old DS.

(18 Posts)
MonkeyBrainsInPickle Fri 10-Jun-16 15:43:28

Our friends will be adopting a 20 month old DS next weekend. Completely clueless re what would make a good present. Any ideas? smile

Cleo1303 Fri 10-Jun-16 17:55:42

It depends on whether you want to give them something he can use and keep, like a Peter Rabbit bowl and mug set, just as one example, or a toy for him? If it's for him just go into a children's shop - Early Learning Centre is good for that age -and get him something for a two year old. At that age DD had things like a Click Clack Caterpillar, a thing like a Helter-Skelter which you sent balls down, and a purple caterpillar which sang the ABC. Anything that had lights and music suited her down to the ground. Just check with the parents that he is okay with noise and music.

Otherwise you could get him a soft toy, or a speaking soft toy, or some normal trucks or trains. Little People sets are good and there is a huge range.

Personally I would avoid "Little Singing Alfie". It's very irritating!!!!!!!

JustHappy3 Fri 10-Jun-16 19:08:26

You should check if they are ok with gifts first - just in case one more new thing is too much for the little one. But get a card - you might have to look on amazon for an adopted one.
Also little one will come with lots of stuff but may have obvious stuff missing so it might be worth asking what they think little one would like once they've arrived. I'd steer clear of fluffy toys tbh.
Garden games are prob the thing that there's not much of. Tesco do a nice yellow trolley with digging things. Pop up tunnels are good.

Floraclare Fri 10-Jun-16 19:26:39

My AS absolutely loved the pillow pet my sister bought him (about same age when he came to us) - he still loves it now age 5

eatsleephockeyrepeat Fri 10-Jun-16 19:31:58

I think books are a universally wonderful gift, plus they are something your friends will be able to share with DS as they get to know each other and enjoy each other's company.

Cleo1303 Fri 10-Jun-16 19:52:49

Pillow pets are a great idea. DD has two and is still using them at 12!

I do think books are a good idea too. Julia Donaldson's Gruffalo and all of her books are wonderful.

You can also get huge floor jigsaws although they may be for 3 and upwards.

If you can't find an adoption card, something like a Tatty Teddy Congratulations card would be fine too.

GirlsWhoWearGlasses Sat 11-Jun-16 06:45:10

Why not a voucher? We were given loads of things for DD, but I was desperate to start choosing things for my little girl. It was a balance anyway with using the familiar things she already had, but all the things we were given, with the absolute best of intentions, meant that it was even longer before we could exercise our choices. I loved spending the vouchers we were given.

If you do buy a book though, please not 'Dear Zoo'. We were given 5 copies and it's totally inappropriate for an adopted child - all the talk about sending back.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Sat 11-Jun-16 09:10:54

Thanks all your suggestions are great smile I have ordered an adoption card from Amazon. I think I will give a voucher so they can choose something themselves but also give a little gift too.

Rainatnight Sat 11-Jun-16 12:56:42

It's really thoughtful of you to get them something and ask advice here smile

Cleo1303 Sat 11-Jun-16 13:38:14

GirlsWhoWearGlasses I can see what you mean about 'Dear Zoo' on reflection. I'm afraid it didn't even occur to me at the time and it was one of DD's absolutely favourite books.

I think a voucher is a really good idea.

Twopots Sat 11-Jun-16 14:22:02

I'm a foster Carer and when the children move onto adoption I get a personalised photo frame that says mummy, daddy and me (you can add names) and put a photo in or you could leave it blank to put their favourite photo in?? They sell them online or eBay 😃

Cleo1303 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:31:24

That's a lovely idea too.

Clockworklemon Sat 11-Jun-16 18:33:17

Something personalised with their name on, like a picture for their bedroom or a letter for their bedroom door, there are loads of lovely personalised things on Notonthehighstreet or similar. We wanted things for our little one to keep and treasure.
Also very touched by flowers.. And cards yes, it doesn't have to be an adoption one specifically, just a welcome your new baby girl/boy and check that the words are appropriate.
Our FC's took our newborn LO home to an empty house, no cards, gifts, balloons or flowers for our baby girl when she was born and nothing for her keepsake box. It meant so much to us (on her behalf) that she should have all of this to look at and treasure when she's older.

tldr Sat 11-Jun-16 21:24:12

I wouldn't get stuff with name on unless you know absolutely they're not changing it.

Vouchers or flowers for the grown ups.

Cleo1303 Sat 11-Jun-16 23:12:52

Clockworklemon I think you are so right about adopted children having something to treasure when they grow up. I was overwhelmed by all the lovely new baby cards I received when DD came home. It actually hadn't occurred to me that anyone would send a new baby card and I got dozens of them, and lots of lovely presents. All her cards and lasting presents have been kept as have the first birthday cards and the cards and beautiful presents from her Baptism which happened four months after she arrived.

We also have a wonderful album of photographs taken by the agency and her foster mother from when she was three weeks old and she loved looking at that until she was seven or eight. She a bit grown up now to look at it every week or so but it's hers to treasure forever.

MintyLizzy9 Sun 12-Jun-16 00:20:59

Amazon do some lovely story books that talk about adoption. My DS is 2 and we have a few in the bedtime story pile of books.

I love this one

Lovely cuddle time whilst reading.

Clockworklemon Sun 12-Jun-16 09:18:16

We have a BC so was painfully aware of the difference in the way some friends and family behaved when our AD came home. She received about a quarter of the number of cards and gifts that BC received. Some people just don't know what to do.

Our BC has a box of new baby cards and loves looking at them (she's 6) and I was very keen for AC to have the same and not feel less celebrated.

OP it's wonderful that you're asking and putting some thought into this. Your friends will be very touched I'm sure.

Cleo1303 Sun 12-Jun-16 12:05:42

That is so sad, Clockworklemon.

I genuinely wasn't expecting any new baby cards as DD was eight months when she arrived. I was astonished. Even clients who knew I was taking time off work for her arrival sent cards and presents. You must have been really disappointed by some of your friends.

DD is my first and only and I am very glad she has these memories to show how everyone wanted to welcome her.

Monkey - Your friends will be so pleased that you are celebrating their new arrival and are being so thoughtful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now