Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

pupil premium

(9 Posts)
MrsH1989 Wed 17-Feb-16 19:35:52

Can I ask please what the school is spending your child's pupil premium on? We are looking to adopt a 12-18 month old so it would be good to know what nurseries are spending it on.

Many thanks

poppystellar Mon 22-Feb-16 20:27:39

Hi MrsH, my LO is in key stage one so slightly older than you asked for info about but her school have been very supportive (and also honest about not really knowing what to do with the PP money for post LAC children).

There are a few adoptive parents at her school and we collectively asked to meet with Headteacher to ask how they were planning to use PP. They didn't have any great experience of LAC and the amount of money they would be getting was not huge as there aren't that many eligible PP kids, so we suggested whole staff training on adoption (e.g impact of attachment etc). A person from adoption uk came to do the training and although the session itself wasn't great that was to do with the quality of the trainer rather the principle of training all staff on adoption issues (which I think is a pretty sound idea). Anyway, school have also spent money on nurture groups for PP pupils run by SENCO. These focus on building self esteem, confidence and emotional resilience. DC loves going to them, has really grown in confidence and enjoys feeling 'special' with the other post LAC kids - though it helps that her best friend is post LAC too. The kids aren't aware they go to nurture group because they are LAC. It helps that the school runs other nurture groups for kids with different needs so I guess it all seems pretty normal to them.

Basically my advice is don't be afraid to ask the school what they are doing with the money, and/or offer them suggestions as to what you think would best suit your child. PP for adopted kids is pretty new and any decent school or nursery should welcome suggestions from parents. Baaf produced some useful case studies on how pupil premium was spent on adopted kids. I don't have a link but you should be able to find it by googling pupil premium adoption case studies.

Hope that helps

CrazyCatLaydee123 Tue 23-Feb-16 21:26:25

Some schools use research by the Sutton trust on the types of interventions available to spend pp money on, as they show what gives the best value for money. It might be worth having a look for ideas to suggest, but obviously all depends on the child and what they need.

educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/evidence/teaching-learning-toolkit

dibly Tue 23-Feb-16 22:15:08

Our nursery is spending it on dance classes, which our LO will love!

MrsH1989 Tue 23-Feb-16 22:29:51

Thanks all. I will definitely ask!

marmalade999 Mon 18-Apr-16 20:18:45

Hi there

Our LO is 2 and jyst started nursery. Am I right in thinking PP is from age 3?

MintyLizzy9 Tue 19-Apr-16 00:32:20

I think PP is for state funded school so reception age and up. I briefly googled when DS (2) started at a private nursery and this is all I could really find re entitlement based on age. Will be chuffed if anyone knows different smile

marmalade999 Tue 19-Apr-16 21:56:33

www.gov.uk/government/news/extra-funding-to-prepare-for-the-early-years-pupil-premium

I've seen this .....my head us very much up bottom. Atm but it reads PP can be applied for at nursery from age 3.
I can't even spell my own name atm so that might not be the case!! hmm

MrsH1989 Wed 20-Apr-16 09:47:54

Our social worker said it can be applied for at pre-school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now