Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

How long between placing and applying for an AO

(9 Posts)
anxious123 Mon 13-Jul-15 22:08:12

Hi there, my son was placed for adoption in March. I just wondered roughly how long parents waited before applying for an AO?

Cheers x

MyPreciousRing Mon 13-Jul-15 22:16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyPreciousRing Mon 13-Jul-15 22:16:32

MyPreciousRing Mon 13-Jul-15 22:19:04

MyPreciousRing Mon 13-Jul-15 22:19:40

bberry Tue 14-Jul-15 09:35:19

Yes, LO needs to have been with you at least 10 weeks, and the sw's happy for you to apply, given how the placement is going and their work schedule s they need to prepare paperwork for the hearing when the date is given...

Velvet1973 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:01:14

Yes we applied after 10 weeks. Our court date was 4 months later and celebration hearing 5 weeks later.

floatyjosmum Tue 14-Jul-15 10:06:41

Legally they need to be with you 10 weeks. If you do epp the length of time where it is a fostering arrangement counts as well s9 for many they can apply once it's changed to an adoptive placement.

Some agencies likes to make the decision re supporting the application (agreeing to write the report) at a lac review but you can still put in your application

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 14-Jul-15 21:23:39

The legal minimum is 10 weeks, but many adoptive parents wait until they have got satisfactory support arrangements in place from the LA before proceeding: frankly, it's the only bargaining chip they have if disruption is not an option.

I would hope your SW would be able to keep you up to speed, and certainly the court will write to you formally when the AO application is made, so it won't just happen behind your back (if that's what you are worried about)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now